Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
PK

Default Re: [Enhancements] Question on Aura of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
But now I have another question -- what function is Melee Attack doing in the build, and how does it work with Malediction in addition to Area Effect?
Aura requires Melee Attack. It's really as straightforward as that. The Area Effect then extends the aura out so it's no longer a touch-based effect. And Malediction doesn't really interact with any of those three modifiers -- it just determines what the game effects are upon anyone who walks into the area effected. (In theory, the level of Malediction would determine range penalties, but by definition, the Aura/Melee Attack combo means that the range is automatically 0 -- from the user to the user.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Aura requires Melee Attack. It's really as straightforward as that. The Area Effect then extends the aura out so it's no longer a touch-based effect. And Malediction doesn't really interact with any of those three modifiers -- it just determines what the game effects are upon anyone who walks into the area effected. (In theory, the level of Malediction would determine range penalties, but by definition, the Aura/Melee Attack combo means that the range is automatically 0 -- from the user to the user.)
Then I don't understand what Malediction does except impose an otherwise unnecessary Will roll OR, why you'd bother making it an aura instead of just leaving it an Area Effect Malediction. [Edit - since the only apparent benefit of the Aura enhancement is that it applies automatically, without a hit roll.]

There's something snakey about this build I'm having a hard time with.

Last edited by Figleaf23; 06-18-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
zoncxs

Quote:
Then I don't understand what Malediction does except impose an otherwise unnecessary Will roll OR, why you'd bother making it an aura instead of just leaving it an Area Effect Malediction. [Edit - since the only apparent benefit of the Aura enhancement is that it applies automatically, without a hit roll.]

if it was just area effect + malediction then you can use it at any range, and where you target would be the center of the effect.

melee range + area effect + malediction = it centers on YOU and extends outward, anyone the is within the area can be effected, their DR does not help protect against it.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
PK

Quote:

You add Malediction because then you get to ignore DR. Normally, DR penalizes an Affliction. (I'll note that Contact Agent would work about as well, but it has its own drawbacks -- and really, Malediction just fits this build's "magical/mystical" concept better.)

You add Aura so you can put it up and keep it up. Otherwise, you'd have to make an attack roll every single turn that you wanted to target the people around you. This way (with Aura), you put it up once, at the beginning of the fight, and then you can take other actions.

Anyway, please accept my assurances that the build is legal and done correctly; it's the result of a long discussion between Antoni Ten Monros (the creator), Dr. Kromm, and myself, from back when it first appeared in Pyramid. If you'd prefer that it be done a different way, I'll be the first to say, "Cool, because it probably can be!" I have no doubt that you could find a way to recreate it to match your own vision -- that's the point of the Meta-Enhancements section of PU4, after all. And while I admit there's a small chance that your doing so will push Antoni over the edge into tears and wails, I imagine it's more likely that he'll be okay with it. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
And while I admit there's a small chance that your doing so will push Antoni over the edge into tears and wails, I imagine it's more likely that he'll be okay with it. :)
Antoni only cries when people use Bad Math(TM), just like the baby Jesus and mathematicians.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
You add Aura so you can put it up and keep it up. Otherwise, you'd have to make an attack roll every single turn that you wanted to target the people around you. This way (with Aura), you put it up once, at the beginning of the fight, and then you can take other actions.
More importantly once active Aura makes the ability React. It is what cause the blessing or curse to go off when the subject enters the area rather than waiting till your next turn to 'pulse'.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
More importantly once active Aura makes the ability React. It is what cause the blessing or curse to go off when the subject enters the area rather than waiting till your next turn to 'pulse'.
Yep, which was not the desired effect; that's the big issue with with Emanation based builds (Which basically have Melee built in).

I ran around the block with the idea a few times with Antoni at the draft stage - he had a checklist of features he needed it to fulfill, so the Emanation based approach I suggested at the time wasn't sufficient.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yep, which was not the desired effect; that's the big issue with with Emanation based builds (Which basically have Melee built in).

I ran around the block with the idea a few times with Antoni at the draft stage - he had a checklist of features he needed it to fulfill, so the Emanation based approach I suggested at the time wasn't sufficient.
Exactly, the idea was to have the aura to be passive, once activated. Activating the aura is an active choice (and takes an action), but afterwards, it will work without needing attention from the user. That's the main difference, conceptually, between Aura of Power and the bardic songs.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura of power