Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Armor Divisor; issues?

Awhile back, I introduced AD(2) into a campaign. Long story short, one of my less good ideas. Now, a player wishes to take AD(infinite).

Does anyone know what I should do to allow it? Should Hardened be common? I don't want this campaign to fall apart before it starts.

Thanks ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Armor Divisor; issues?

What makes you think AD (Infinite) will make your campaign fall apart?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Awhile back, I introduced AD(2) into a campaign. Long story short, one of my less good ideas. Now, a player wishes to take AD(infinite).

Does anyone know what I should do to allow it? Should Hardened be common? I don't want this campaign to fall apart before it starts.

Thanks ahead of time.
Just because you've allowed AD(2) does not mean you're under any obligation to allow AD(∞). If you do allow it, remember that Cosmic DR, while it interacts normally with mundane Armor Divisors, gets its full DR against otherwise-unstoppable Cosmic AD. How is the PC gaining such an attack? The same power source, or an equivalent opposing force, could provide his enemies with suitable defenses.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Just because you've allowed AD(2) does not mean you're under any obligation to allow AD(∞). If you do allow it, remember that Cosmic DR, while it interacts normally with mundane Armor Divisors, gets its full DR against otherwise-unstoppable Cosmic AD. How is the PC gaining such an attack? The same power source, or an equivalent opposing force, could provide his enemies with suitable defenses.
Oh, these are completely different campaigns, but that last part is absolutely a thing in setting; the material that his sword is made from probably is immune to the divisor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
AD(2) destroyed my campaign. I just had no way of (simulationistly) stopping it, because most enemies wouldn't have enough money for it (Mind, I did eventually realize many of the issues were myself). I was just wondering if anyone else had come across problems (and solutions) for AD in general.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
AD(2) destroyed my campaign. I just had no way of (simulationistly) stopping it, because most enemies wouldn't have enough money for it (Mind, I did eventually realize many of the issues were myself). I was just wondering if anyone else had come across problems (and solutions) for AD in general.
If AD is a problem, you must be using some somewhat odd parameters. What is the context here? Are you talking about AD 2 as an Innate Attack enhancement? As an imbuement? As an innate property of armor-piercing ammo? As a weapon enchantment?

On Innate Attacks, obviously if there's a maximum penetration you want to allow you shouldn't let AD break that bound.

On the other cases, we need much more information...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Also keep in mind that there are other ways to deal with damage besides DR. Quick or skillful enemies can actively defend, exotic creatures may be Diffuse or Insubstantial, or just have so much HP (or traits like Supernatural Durability / Unkillable) that they can shrug off penetrating blows. And as the GM, you can always just add more minions; even if they go down in one hit, he can only kill so many at once.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If AD is a problem, you must be using some somewhat odd parameters. What is the context here? Are you talking about AD 2 as an Innate Attack enhancement? As an imbuement? As an innate property of armor-piercing ammo? As a weapon enchantment?

On Innate Attacks, obviously if there's a maximum penetration you want to allow you shouldn't let AD break that bound.

On the other cases, we need much more information...
Any of those. I keep forgetting;
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Also keep in mind that there are other ways to deal with damage besides DR. Quick or skillful enemies can actively defend, exotic creatures may be Diffuse or Insubstantial, or just have so much HP (or traits like Supernatural Durability / Unkillable) that they can shrug off penetrating blows. And as the GM, you can always just add more minions; even if they go down in one hit, he can only kill so many at once.
Because I tend to have most combat be important battles; Almost all battles are because the PCs want to fight, not because the NPCs necessarily do. I should add monsters as above. Actually, I just need to add monsters in general.

The main problem was; I use Low-Tech as a base for things. AD(2) rips through almost all armor in it.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
The main problem was; I use Low-Tech as a base for things. AD(2) rips through almost all armor in it.
So? That just means you've got a tech mismatch between armor and weapons. That happens, and it usually means people don't wear armor much. Armor being effective isn't necessary for a setting, historically speaking body armor wasn't much of a factor over the TL 5-7 period.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
LTC2 gives a hint on prices. +3CF to AD(2) and -1 damage.
So, for a +50% enhancement it'd +3CF, AD(infinite) it's 6 times that. So, +18CF, -6 damage.

But remember, if it is destroying your game, it should be forbidden.

Also, instead of a couple of ogres with high DR and damage, put them against 15 goblins, with low DR and damage, but numerous, AD won't help anything.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
What does AD(inf.) represent in in-world terms? For that matter, what does AD(2) represent?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor divisor, fantasy