Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Absent-Mindedness and Short Attention Span

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its worth remembering "Focused" in this discussion. It gives a +3 for certain tasks, but in effect gives a temporary absent mindedness effect.

If I took both, would I get -10 to notice my surroundings, or would it just be -5 at all times? would you as a GM allow it?
I did once. It was fine, I did the "stacking" not the "all the time" method.

But then that character was IQ 16 and I think Per 14, so he wasn't suffering badly when not absolutely Focus driven.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
RogerBW

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Absent-Mindedness and Short Attention Span

Quote:
Its worth remembering "Focused" in this discussion. It gives a +3 for certain tasks, but in effect gives a temporary absent mindedness effect.

If I took both, would I get -10 to notice my surroundings, or would it just be -5 at all times? would you as a GM allow it?
(The perk from PU2 p. 13 I take it?)

I'm not sure there's anywhere I'd use that. If a character took both I think I'd probably throw both the penalties on, and consider that a lengthy noncombat task might well become boring too.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I suppose if you're playing the absentminded guy there is no point in not giving him crushing penalties to notice things. -10 it is. And yeah, most of those characters will have decent per to start with, so it generally won't go into negative numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
(The perk from PU2 p. 13 I take it?)

I'm not sure there's anywhere I'd use that. If a character took both I think I'd probably throw both the penalties on, and consider that a lengthy noncombat task might well become boring too.
sorry, Single-minded, not focused. page 85.

I would never give a character both focused and short attention span. They seem just too contradictory. Either one might work for absent minded though. I might stick a limitation on short attention span that makes an exception for certain types of tasks though, and that would be compatible with single minded.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
sorry, Single-minded, not focused. page 85.
Yeah, I knew what you meant without noticing the error.

The character actually had Absent Minded, Single-Minded, and Focused (Repair Work)... so there were a few times he just ignored being shot to get repair jobs done. Granted he often also took precautions like setting up barricades, locking doors to the repair space, etc to ensure he could work relatively unmolested.

He did pass out once due to missed sleep, meals, and dehydration. But that's what happens when you lock the repair bay doors and don't notice the people banging on them for a few days.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Its worth remembering "(edit)Single-Minded" in this discussion. It gives a +3 for certain tasks, but in effect gives a temporary absent mindedness effect.

If I took both, would I get -10 to notice my surroundings, or would it just be -5at all times? Would you as a GM allow it?
I'd let you stack them, for the -10.

I wouldn't let you stack the Attentive quirk (B.163) or the Focussed (task) perk (PU2 p13) with Single-Minded, since I reckon they're basically subsets of Single-Minded.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #16
draxdeveloper

Since we are here...
Those two disads are part of ADHD, what else you would use to compound it?
I use Absent-Mindedness, Short Attention Span, Impulsiveness, Bad Temper
Maybe Klutz, Laziness , Odious Personal Habit
There things that i don't know how to put.
Bad Temper is just anger but ADHD's have emotional instability (not just with anger)
Laziness is aversion to work, but even this is true a lot of time is not the full picture (ADHD's have less "motivational fuel" so sometimes is more like depression, but not with vital stuff but instead with interesting stuff)
Hyperactivity i really don't know how to put in game
Also, the mitigator don't always work and most of time it's reduces but don't nullify the effects (so to all self control rolls, you would "down" one or two levels, like if is 12 you put as 15)
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
absent-mindedness, disadvantage, disadvantage of the week, short attention span