Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #71
mindstalk

Default Re: Is Transhuman Space a "silly" genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Yes, but human reproduction is only one type. There is reproduction of bacteria, as you note. In THS there is human cloning, which is different from ordinary human reproduction but is still classed as reproduction. And of course we use "reproduction" for making multiple copies of a work of art, too.

Bill Stoddard
Still, it's reproduction of the older me at backup, not of the current me falling off the cliff, and it's that latter perspective I said we didn't have an intuitive handle on.
mindstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #72
Whome?

Ummmm NO!

It is a VERY serious and realistic hard SF game. Very, cool. The game seems to continue some concepts that Cyberpunk introduced.

I've combined Gurps Cyberpunk and Transworld Space together:

http://www.playbyweb.com/oriental1.php?_b=15445

"Welcome to worlds on the edge. This game is the fusion of science fiction and "noir," a universe in which the street finds its own uses for the gifts of science.

In this gritty high-tech, low-life future, technology is merely another tool of power, likelier to corrupt its users than ennoble them. But those without technology have no chance at all. Is it a victory if you survive but lose your freedom . . . or your humanity?

From ruthless corporations to half-mechanical back-alley killers, this game has it all. Does your character have the edge to survive?

It's the year 2300. Humans have colonized the solar system and eighty other star systems (known as the off-world colonies). China and America struggle for control of Space. Pirates have taken over our solar system's asteroid belt.

Chrome and Nanotechnology has transformed life forever, and cybernetic and gene-enhanced humans sharing known space with artificial intelligences and robotic surrogates. Our solar system has become a setting as exciting and alien as any interstellar empire. Pirate spaceships hijacking black holes . . . sentient computers and artificial "bioroids" demanding human rights . . . nanotechnology and mind control . . .

Are you ready for role-playing "on the edge?"

I'd never call this "Silly".

Last edited by Whome?; 12-16-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #73
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

There are some implausible elements in THS. In particular the pace of Martian terraforming.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #74
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There are some implausible elements in THS. In particular the pace of Martian terraforming.
Implausible and silly are not equivalent. Implausible is a falling short. Silly is a positive trait that someone might deliberately pursue. Marvin the Martian is silly, for example.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #75
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Implausible and silly are not equivalent. Implausible is a falling short. Silly is a positive trait that someone might deliberately pursue. Marvin the Martian is silly, for example.
Sure, but I'm still not entirely sure what the OP thinks silly means.

EDIT: By implication he seems to think that Madlands, Roma Arcana, Project Sandman, Cabal, and even WWII were "silly". It's not as though Transhuman Space is a genre rather than a setting either.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-02-2010 at 05:21 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote