Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: TFT Campaign Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
Janelle, the pirate queen, steals a cask of the emperor's own, finest brandy, only to discover the cask is filled with five halflings who escaped from the emperor's dungeons

To pay the pirate queen for their safe passage the five agree to break into the Hobleker Museum and steal the V'Drabh Labyrinth key, kept in the sub basement vault and guarded by the Shields of the Nine Pointed Cross, the most ruthless mercenaries in the entire city.
Freeport was my second choice.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #22
Terquem

Three Pirate Queens, including Captain Janelle have disappeared

Three Generals of the armies of three different nations are missing

Three Playwrights from the fable Glittering City are nowhere to be found

Are the Dragons playing Quarrels and Quarries again?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:22 AM   #23
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
I'm thinking of using Chaosium's old "Sanctuary" setting from the Thieves World stories as the opening locale. Whether it's on Cidri or not is an open question. And (digs out old boxed set), it even has conversion notes for TFT! The old version, of course, but, still.

This should be fun.

(Hi. This is my first post here. Nice to meet y'all.)
Welcome!

Sanctuary is a good place to start, though you'll have to actually spend some time re-working most of the characters, since they have enormously inflated attribute totals (they had to, in order to have all the skills in the books, under the old rules). Alas, my complete set disappeared in the long-ago, and I only have one (or perhaps two) of the books now, and none of the maps. Getting a complete copy seems a bit pricey nowadays! Still, as I recall, it was a very good setting package and really well done. (Though the TFT stats were a bit short in terms of some of the characters and unique creatures; so you'll still have to make some of them up from scratch!)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #24
Barliman

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Sanctuary is a good choice, especially if you aren't used to putting together NPCs on the fly. If you do feel confident whipping together NPCs as you go, 2nd edition D+D's Lhankmar is an excellent and very well supported set of materials that are also good. I've run both, but am now in up to my neck with a home-cooked setting broadly like those (but about 10x bigger).
Lankhmar would be a good choice. Wish I hadn't lost my book in a move years ago. :/
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #25
Barliman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Welcome!

Sanctuary is a good place to start, though you'll have to actually spend some time re-working most of the characters, since they have enormously inflated attribute totals (they had to, in order to have all the skills in the books, under the old rules).
(Takes notes) Thanks for the advice!
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Lankhmar would be a good choice. Wish I hadn't lost my book in a move years ago. :/
The 2E D+D Lankhmar books are a great resource for anyone who is o.k. with stating NPCs on the fly.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #27
Shroomofinsanity

I've started a kind of west marches style game that takes place in a version of cidri where the inside of the world is a Dyson sphere made by the mnoren. Adding SF stuff like making all the elementals and demons brings made by the mnoren to regulate the planet and its features.

The players are part of a group of people that were transported inside the world to escape their country's destruction and are now exploring this strange inside out world with the backwards horizon.
Shroomofinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #28
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The 2E D+D Lankhmar books are a great resource for anyone who is o.k. with stating NPCs on the fly.
What automated support do people need with NPC generation? Figuring out which skills go together with each other is a lot easier than crafting coherent histories to match. I kind of figure that it is the GM's job to backtrack a random encounter to what caused all of this.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #29
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What automated support do people need with NPC generation? Figuring out which skills go together with each other is a lot easier than crafting coherent histories to match. I kind of figure that it is the GM's job to backtrack a random encounter to what caused all of this.
I'm not sure how successful an automated stat/talent/spell algorithm would be. There are lots of possibilities and not many constraints, so any algorithm that is able to explore them all would have a high probability of coming up with combinations that a real human would think were stupid.

What I would love to see for TFT is a book a little bit like Foes - a 2E Runequest supplement Chaosium published in the early 80's. Original Runequest is a little like TFT when it comes to the level of information you would like to record for a fleshed out NPC (well, RQ is probably a factor of 2-3 harder, but we're in the same ball park). I find it incredibly helpful when I'm running RQ that I can just leaf through the book and find a page with a dozen dark trolls of intermediate experience, etc. I think a human would probably need to write such a book.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #30
Terquem

I often prefer making things up at the moment, and usually only make up enough stuff to get through the situation at hand

When I plan ahead too much, I often get in my own way
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote