Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2024, 07:58 PM   #1
Bathawk

Default Any new thoughts on Petrification/Flesh To Stone?

If I recall my "Gurps: Powers" It advised that turning someone to stone (or some other material) was best represented by an affliction with Paralysis or Heart Attack (death) with the fact the target being transformed is just a special effect.

Now I can understand the former, I was building a character from another game whose power turn a target (and thier gear) into salt, so I simply linked the heart attack affliction to a create (transform)

Paralysis is a bit harder. being turned into stone is a lot more comprehensive than simply being able to move. Take for example a charcter from Bill Willinghams' "Pantheon"....hw turned the population of a small neighborhood into titanium during a supervillian attack as titanium statues they were resilient and had no need to breathe, eat or drink, or disease/poison

Now normally that would be represented by assigning a bunch of advantages to the affliction...but DR of (I don't know) 12 for +600%, Immunity to biological hazards +300% and so on really adds up...especially to paralysis' +150%....all those bonuses don't seem as valuable if the target can't move (or see, or hear, ect)

Being able to grant DR or paralysis are both valuable when building an affliction.....but for the target one is a plus for the user of the affliction, and the other is a drawback....but they both are considered enhancements regardless of the target

thoughts? If anything I would consider a rule that the lesser of the enhancements/limitations get a significant reduction such as under the rules for "secondary effects"
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:16 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Any new thoughts on Petrification/Flesh To Stone?

In general I'm fine with basing the enhancement required on either -1% per point in disadvantages, or +10% per point of net positive value, whichever is more. Paralysis isn't a disad, but it's +150%, so I'd allow doing math as if it was a -150 point disad.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:23 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Now normally that would be represented by assigning a bunch of advantages to the affliction...but DR of (I don't know) 12 for +600%, Immunity to biological hazards +300% and so on really adds up...especially to paralysis' +150%....all those bonuses don't seem as valuable if the target can't move (or see, or hear, ect)
An alternate approach might be to use the same build as the permanent turn to whatever and add granting an Extra Life that triggers if and when they are "untransformed".

The properties of the transformed material are whatever they are, you don't particularly need to grant them separately. You likely wouldn't bother to track exactly what happened to fleshy dead bodies after all, even if somebody might come along later and try to reanimate them, and Extra Life covers it anyway. Perhaps it even gets a small limitation given that it will fail to work if the statues are utterly destroyed and normally would RAW still work if your corpse was.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:56 AM   #4
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
An alternate approach might be to use the same build as the permanent turn to whatever and add granting an Extra Life that triggers if and when they are "untransformed".

The properties of the transformed material are whatever they are, you don't particularly need to grant them separately. You likely wouldn't bother to track exactly what happened to fleshy dead bodies after all, even if somebody might come along later and try to reanimate them, and Extra Life covers it anyway. Perhaps it even gets a small limitation given that it will fail to work if the statues are utterly destroyed and normally would RAW still work if your corpse was.
hmmm you mean treat it as a kill/heart attack attack +400%, with a +250% extra life? as well as permanent +150%, and possibly linked to the Create/transform for +10%? May get a bit expensive, but still cheaper than the alternative
Old 04-14-2024, 11:11 AM   #5
Anthony

You can generally afflict people with shapeshifting(alternate form) for +150%.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:31 AM   #6
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You can generally afflict people with shapeshifting(alternate form) for +150%.
well "body of stone" is 140pts. times 0.9 =126pts., +the cost of shapeshifting (=15pts.) for 141pts. or +1,410%

it does make the character sheet a bit less complicated though...but since the characterwould still be "paralyzed, but alive" it would have to add blind, deaf, numb ect;..is it legal to to add things like "parapalegic" to reduce the racial trait cost?

Last edited by Bathawk; 04-14-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:40 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
well "body of stone" is 140pts.
Apply disadvantages to make the target immobile, paralyzed, etc, and it easily becomes a negative value template.