Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
cupbearer

Default Injury ?

Hi

I've recently been re-reading the rules and find myself confused on how injury works, its a weird feeling because I've been playing since end of 3rd ed. but now seem to feel like i've been understanding the rules in the wrong way, can you guys clear this up?:

Some questions:
1 if I have 10 hp, and I suffer 40 damage in one hit, do I roll three times to see if I fall unconscious (two rolls penalized) and two times to see if I die? Or is the there only multiple death rolls and one unconsciousness roll (penalized)?

2 If im using hit locations but not using accumulated wounds, do I ignore damage to a limb that is crippled?

3 If im using hit location with the accumulated wounds rule, do I ignore damage to a crippled limb?

4 if using MA partial injury (pg 136) they don’t make mention of whether this is injury sustained in a single hit or whether it is accumulated wounds. I always assumed that they left it open because it could be used either way, but now question that assumption – which is it?

5 Do you find that accumulated wounds rule is very tedioius to use as a GM (I typically haven’t used it often in the past) I mean in the context of tracking multiple monsters in combat.

6 if using the teeth/worry rules from MA (pg 115) does this assume use of accumulated wounds? Can you use this option without using accumulated wounds?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Injury ?

Note, my answers should be taken with "As I understand it" added on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
1 if I have 10 hp, and I suffer 40 damage in one hit, do I roll three times to see if I fall unconscious (two rolls penalized) and two times to see if I die? Or is the there only multiple death rolls and one unconsciousness roll (penalized)?
Correct.

Quote:
2 If im using hit locations but not using accumulated wounds, do I ignore damage to a limb that is crippled?
Yes.*

Quote:
3 If im using hit location with the accumulated wounds rule, do I ignore damage to a crippled limb?
Yes.*

* However I do continue to track injury beyond crippling, but pretty much solely for healing rates.

Quote:
4 if using MA partial injury (pg 136) they don’t make mention of whether this is injury sustained in a single hit or whether it is accumulated wounds. I always assumed that they left it open because it could be used either way, but now question that assumption – which is it?
Accumulated Wounds are an Optional Rule, so MA would have mentioned it if that's what they were using.

Quote:
5 Do you find that accumulated wounds rule is very tedioius to use as a GM (I typically haven’t used it often in the past) I mean in the context of tracking multiple monsters in combat.
I only use Accumulated Wounds on PCs and 'Named Bosses'.

Quote:
6 if using the teeth/worry rules from MA (pg 115) does this assume use of accumulated wounds? Can you use this option without using accumulated wounds?
See above, MA doesn't consider Accumulated Wounds for any of it's rules that don't mention it (and the mention under Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters is not actually a reference to the optional rules from Basic, it's just using the phrasing).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
cupbearer

Thank you - with respect to your comment on MA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

Accumulated Wounds are an Optional Rule, so MA would have mentioned it if that's what they were using.

So you're saying that in MA only a single hit will cause partial injury? It just doesn't seem to be saying that. Its confusing to me. it simply says injury between x and y and doesnt say that its a single injury or cumulative. Am i misunderstanding the term injury perhaps?
Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
So you're saying that in MA only a single hit will cause partial injury? It just doesn't seem to be saying that. Its confusing to me. it simply says injury between x and y and doesnt say that its a single injury or cumulative. Am i misunderstanding the term injury perhaps?
Hang on a sec while I reread MA pg 136 a bit more closely in case I'm misremembering/misinterpreting stuff...

Nope. It's not taking Accumulated Wounds into effect as far as I can tell. But just in case I'll send up the batsignal Toadkiller Dog signal and we'll get an official answer.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
cupbearer

Here is another question - if you look at the rule for partial injuries, its says:

injury up to HP/5 causes -DX to use of arm...…
injury over HP/5 …. causes...

the key word is "up to". and the wording differs from the next line seems to mean that any injury triggers this..... does that mean even 1 injury? see its weird I've owned that book since it was released, but never really read that rule closely.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
the key word is "up to". and the wording differs from the next line seems to mean that any injury triggers this..... does that mean even 1 injury?
Yes.

Quote:
see its weird I've owned that book since it was released, but never really read that rule closely.
They are optional rules, so unless you really wanted harsh injury rules, you might have never read them. I know I've never read them in complete depth until last night.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Tomsdad

Quote:
If you are using accumulated wounds, I'd say let them accumulate and use the total when calculating the partial wound penalty.

If you are not using the accumulated wounds rules, I'd just have the largest single injury count.

Quote:
Here is another question - if you look at the rule for partial injuries, its says:

injury up to HP/5 causes -DX to use of arm...…
injury over HP/5 …. causes...

the key word is "up to". and the wording differs from the next line seems to mean that any injury triggers this..... does that mean even 1 injury? see its weird I've owned that book since it was released, but never really read that rule closely.
Don't forget those penalties don't kick until until 2x HT seconds after suffering the injury. So a lot of the time this isn't something tracked in combat.

I think quite a good compromise version that hits some cinematic troupes is not to worry about tracking the 2xHT seconds at all, but just say the penalties kick in after the combat is concluded.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-05-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Black Leviathan

4th Ed really did a lot of subtle changes to injury. A big one is maximum injury to location changes, specifically by damage type. Very possibly your 40pt hit would do a lot less than 40 damage depending on type of damage and where it hit.

If your poor soldier did take HTx-3 damage in a single hit, they'd first have a knockdown (and knockout) check from the serious wound, then each threshold they cross of HT would be a separate HT check to not fall unconscious, and also now that they're in negative HT they begin each turn with a HT roll to see if they lapse into unconsciousness.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
evileeyore said yes, but I'm a bit confused by that. Accumulated wounds says "Ignore further injury, except for the purpose of determining dismemberment." I thought that meant that additional damage to the crippled limb can accumulate (without causing further actual HP loss) until it's enough to dismember.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
evileeyore said yes, but I'm a bit confused by that. Accumulated wounds says "Ignore further injury, except for the purpose of determining dismemberment." I thought that meant that additional damage to the crippled limb can accumulate (without causing further actual HP loss) until it's enough to dismember.
No... I'm pretty sure you ignore any further wounds that aren't enough to outright dismember.

But I've been wrong in the past...

Tags
accumulated wounds, partial injury