Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
Anders

Default Gimme your Perks!

Yes, it's a new installment of the perks threads (in other words, I couldn't find the old one...)

Living Calendar

If given a date you can automatically calculate what week-day it was. You automatically take leap-year (if such a thing exists in your world) into account. In a human, this is most probably a form of intuition - you just see the result. For an AI, you may very well calculate the thing but anyway it's lightning fast.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Gimme your Perks!

Intimidating Appearance (Perk: +2 to Intimidation Skill) The specific character write up this came from gave the character a ghostly appearance, but other intimidating appearances are possible. 'Max the Guard' from the solo adventure 'All in a Night's Work' was assigned this descriptor but no appearance modifier was given.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Intimidating Appearance (Perk: +2 to Intimidation Skill) The specific character write up this came from gave the character a ghostly appearance, but other intimidating appearances are possible. 'Max the Guard' from the solo adventure 'All in a Night's Work' was assigned this descriptor but no appearance modifier was given.
I don't know, buying this normally would cost 8 points (assuming you had a high level already)...so you might want to limit it somewhat.

Bug Repeller
Bugs avoid you. For some reason, they don't like your smell. In humid climates you'll never be bothered by mosquitoes, won't catch malaria, etc. However, if you bother them (rattling a wasp nest, putting your foot into a boot with a resting scorpion, etc) then they will attack.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Bug Repeller
Bugs avoid you. For some reason, they don't like your smell. In humid climates you'll never be bothered by mosquitoes, won't catch malaria, etc. However, if you bother them (rattling a wasp nest, putting your foot into a boot with a resting scorpion, etc) then they will attack.
I love this one, great inspiration. Life's litte bothers are the best source of inspiration for perks, I think.
Let me have a go:
Jar Opener
You can allways open jars of jam, pickles and the like. No pot is safe from you, while others would have to apply complicated lever mechanisms, decompression and banging on the bottom, you simply pop them open.
Yes, I know this is silly, but think about it. Useful!

Toilet Paper Clarvoyent
You never forget to check if there's toilet paper before you sit to do what has to be done. Furthermore, you allways know when your stock of toilet paper is about to run out. You can allways guess how many "uses" of toilet paper are left in a roll. You have a knack for shoping for toilet paper and allways find cheap and comfy toilet paper.

Living Lexicon
You have incredible domain of your native language and any other language you know. You never need a dictionary or a lexicon, you can figure out the linguistic roots of words by instinct. Your spelling is allways perfect. This might get you a +1 in Writing, in a situation where spelling is important or a -1 with people who think you're snotty. If you're a kid, you allways win Spelling Contests.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Gudiomen

Friendly Shoulder
You're the kind of person people rely on for comfort, to share their problems, and generaly trust with private information that's troubling them. This will get you +1 reactions from people who are depressed or stressed out at the moment. You might also be able to exploit this for spying on peoples life, or get a +1 in psychology for the purposes of diagnosis only. However, this is also annoying in every-day life, as strangers on the bus share their whole life stories with you and you just want to sleep damnit!
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
I don't know, buying this normally would cost 8 points (assuming you had a high level already)...so you might want to limit it somewhat.

Bug Repeller
Buying this normally costs ONE point. B.100: "A perk can produce a modest bonus (up to +2) to an attribute, skill or reaction roll." Of the three traits that can be given this binus, skill is the cheapest relative to direct purchase 8 pts vs 10 pts vs 20/40 pts. Intimidation is a skill. The bonus meets the rules standard. It's a legitimate Perk.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Buying this normally costs ONE point. B.100: "A perk can produce a modest bonus (up to +2) to an attribute, skill or reaction roll."
". . . in relatively rare circumstances."

You forgot the rest of the sentence, which is a fairly important qualifying clause. "Whenever anyone sees me," is not a relatively rare circumstance for use of the Intimidation skill. Allowing a +2 bonus to Intimidation in damn near every circumstance for 1 point is a hack, to put it mildly.

"+2 to Intimidation when I'm covered in blood" or "+2 to Intimidation when I'm telling a story" would be valid Perks, for example.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

+2 to intimidation when I'm properly back lit?

Would +2 to free climbing trees or other natural structures be a valid perk?

I'm trying to come up with something unique but realistic for my 3 foot tall 19 pound humanoids. I've covered the main advantages and disadvantages, but would like to balance to exactly 0 points.

Anybody got any other ideas?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
". . . in relatively rare circumstances."

You forgot the rest of the sentence, which is a fairly important qualifying clause. "Whenever anyone sees me," is not a relatively rare circumstance for use of the Intimidation skill. Allowing a +2 bonus to Intimidation in damn near every circumstance for 1 point is a hack, to put it mildly.

"+2 to Intimidation when I'm covered in blood" or "+2 to Intimidation when I'm telling a story" would be valid Perks, for example.
The original posting of this was, as noted, for a ghostly appearing and included a reaction modifier of "A GHOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT!". Perfectly valid perk.

Specifically: You ONLY get the bonus when actively using the intemidation skill. "All the time" isn't applicable. A weapon bond provides it's bonus EVERY single time the weapon is used by the person who has the quirk.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
Der Wanderer

Perk (Can turn his Telekinesis visible)
very handy for hand signing etc...

The result of simple math:
TK 1 costs 5 CP
TK 1 (visible) as alternative ability costs 1 CP
and you don't need more than one level of visible TK to make it all visible...