Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #471
testpig

Default Re: Member House Rules

race/class cards
I have found these cards to end up being in a surplus in my hand at times. in which case, i have created a house rule that states..

1: You can't change race/class during combat
2: If you draw a Race/Class card on your "kick the door down" phase, it instantly changes your class/race to the class/race.

I'm still on the fence about another rule i want to add on to, allowing these class/race cards to also be played as an attack on another player. So forcing someone to change to a wizard when they are attacking a monster which hates wizards!

what do you guys think? Also, for discussion purposes, what other house rules have you created?

Last edited by testpig; 06-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
testpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #472
Squaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by testpig View Post
race/class cards
I have found these cards to end up being in a surplus in my hand at times.
What expansions have you added? I have all of the Fantasy/Original expansions mixed in, and I'll occasionally go an entire game and only bump into one or two race/class cards.

I can see this house rule being most effective with a smaller deck that is heavy on races/classes, such as Munchkin+2+3.
Squaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #473
testpig

Idea for "BLANK" cards!

so being that i have 4 blank cards, i figured to keep them in the deck, and instead of writing on them and wasting them! i have created 2 list, with 1-10 on them. Besides each i have listed a group buff, or group curse, or other random rewards such as...

1-Kick down the door twice! (forces the player to kick down the door instantly, and face whatever appears!
2-Group Curse, all players are now -5
3-Monster Buff curse: all monsters are now +5 until this curse card is removed
4-Wrath of God: All players must discard their entire hand!
5-Gods Grace: All players draw 1 treasure card
etc etc etc etc etc

So when you draw a blank card from the deck, you roll a 1d10 Die, whatever number appears, you look at the list, and that's the result you must face!

What do you guys think? and also, what other types of buffs/debuffs/perks can be added to my list so i can use a 1d20 die instead!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #474
cbetker

testpig - That sounds like a fun way to use the blank cards! I think I might try something similar.
cbetker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #475
Flemroid

Friends and I are going away for a weekend and are turning Munchkin in to a drinking game for the weekend. Any one have any good house rules or drinking rules they've ever used for similar situation?

So far all we've come up with is for each level you level up, you pick someone to take a shot for each and for each level you lose you need to take a shot for each.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #476
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
So far all we've come up with is for each level you level up, you pick someone to take a shot for each and for each level you lose you need to take a shot for each.
That would certainly solve the overuse of level loss to take the Munchkinomicon issue :p.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #477
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
That would certainly solve the overuse of level loss to take the Munchkinomicon issue :p.
Haha would make the problem worse probably with my friends and me.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #478
Humorme

Default Ghost Munchkin House Rules

Here's a thread for people to post house rules for two player games involving a ghost player. I've recently gotten several e-mails referring to my reference to my own rules from long ago, so to make it easy, I'm posting my own ghost munchkin rules here (as best I can remember them).

I hope this will facilitate some expansion and better ideas on my own rules as well as generate fun new rules.

The bottom line is if you find yourself and your partner teaming up to defeat ghost munchkin, you're doing it right.

Ghost player always has his hand face-up.

He immediately plays any cards he has that can be used (such as race, class, and gear) when he has them - always opting for highest combat level first.

He keeps all items in hand unless his hand is full - only then does he put them to the table (in his pack).

If he has a race/class, he does not change it unless he is forced to discard (hand size limit) or if he can get a higher combat level. Then, he discards the one he has and plays the new one (he does not do so if this changes his equipment to a lower level - he simply discards what is in his hand).

If he has items that affect other players in combat or curses, he plays them as soon as they are relevant (monster enhancers as soon as a player is winning a fight and curses as soon as a player can be affected by them).

The exception to the previous rule is that ghost player does not bother players level 1 or 2 (unless he has no choice, such as forced to discard) and he does not bother players of half his level or lower (unless he has no choice).

Ghost player always attacks the player of the highest level first, highest bonuses second, and roll a die in case of ties. If the highest level or bonuses cannot be affected by his attack (such as a curse that the highest level/bonus player is not subject to), he will use it on the next highest player (and so forth).

Ghost player will not help anyone of twice his level nor anyone at level 8 or higher.

Ghost player will otherwise always help, but demands half the treasure (taking the extra in case of odds). These treasure are randomly split.

In all other situations, ghost player does the most obviously beneficial action as agreed upon by the players (roll a die if there is argument).

EDIT: When taking cards randomly from ghost munchkin, roll a die or turn them over and mix them up.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #479
Flemroid

The only house rule can think of right now is that we only allow 1 munchkin mask per player. Multiple masks is munchkinly but kinda defeats the purpose of curses.

We also added in that if you take a card from the wrong pile or accidentally flip an extra card over you get slapped in the face.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #480
frofrog

Default ONE MANCHKIN

~ ONE MANCHKIN ~

< < house rules for playing single-player Munchkin > >

Admit it, you have tried to play Munchkin on your own and quite frankly it was not fun at all because the element of surprise was missing. Here, we present ONE MANCHKIN, house rules that add both an element of surprise and challenge, turning lonely nights into lonely knights!

SETUP:

Set the time-counter (e.g. a D10) to face 1.
You start as a level one human with no class then pick 4 doors and 4 treasures.
If your hand is terrible you may take ONE MANCHIGAN, i.e. discard your hand and pick 3 doors and 3 treasures.
Now you may play what ever cards you want and begin the game!

PLAYING THE GAME:

Phase 0: LISTENING AT THE DOOR. Pick up a door card to your hand.

Phase 1: KICK DOWN A DOOR. Reveal the top door card.

(a) MONSTER.

- Quick escape? You may try to turn an flee: Sucessful if 3 or above on D6: Go to Phase 2; else proceed to Fight it!

- Fight it! You think that you can handle this monster or you failed your quick escape. From the treasure deck, the monster draws its number of treasures and places them face up behind the monster. Slide the treasure cards with +X BONUS up to reveal the name and the amount of boosting that the monster gets. Any level up cards are slided down to reveal GO UP A LEVEL giving the monster +5 BONUS per level. Other cards do not enhance the performance of the monster, but you may slide them up anyways to clearly see what their names are. As an example, what at first glance looked like a LEVEL 7 GIANT COCKROACH is turned into a GIANT COCKROACH WITH an ANVIL (+3) and a GO UP A LEVEL (+5), which leads to a battle value of 15. If you can beat the monster go a head and pick its treasures and level up accordingly! If not, you may CURSE THE MONSTER, to make it loose an item or a level (-5 BONUS), or play any normal MODIFIERS or USABLE ONCE ONLY cards as usual. The monster always wears all equipment with no restrictions, and you may treat the monster as ANOTHER PLAYER (e.g. yes to the Theif's Backstabbing the MONSTER is OK!). If you still can't beat the monster you may try to run away from the BAD STUFF by rolling 5 or above on a D6: Go to Phase 2.

(b) CURSE.

- The curse hits you! You may respond as usual.

(c) OTHER.

- Respond as usual (pick it up most of the times).

If (b) or (c) you may LOOK FOR TROUBLE by playing a monster from your hand: Go to (a). Else you may LOOT THE ROOM, pick up a TREASURE CARD to your hand: Go to phase 2.

Phase 2: UP THE CLOCK!

- The time-counter increases by one step. The last turn of the game is ten. You lose if you did not reach level 10 before turn 11. If you still have some time left: Discard down to five cards in your hand and go to Phase 0.

Good luck - the clock is ticking!

/ House rules by J. Marcus Dahlström a.k.a Frofrog /

I hope that you find these rules fun to play! Suggestions are always welcome :)

---

Incomplete list of incompatible cards (simply draw another):

Dark...
Please help me to fill this list!
frofrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice