Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #3971
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2
 
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The deep dark haunted woods
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

It's likely that in such a situation, the states would surrender individually (as the Confederacy gave it's compnents a lot of leeway), with the states with the least fighting willing to keep fighting longest. Sure, it's more inconvenient than the whole South surrendering at once, but it would "officially" end the war.

Mind you, the ones who hold out longest - because they had the least damage - would probably be the main source of Fire-Eater Terrorists and their funding and training.
__________________
"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power."
- Sam Starfall from the webcomic Freefall
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #3972
PTTG
 
PTTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Around 1987, a moderately contagious disease spreads around the planet via air travel.

Victims lose 2-4 IQ, gain Bad Temper and Bestial, and oddly enough have increased resistance to blood loss and injury. This is largely due to dramatically slowed brain metabolism. It is similar to Tuberculosis in infectiousness.

Unlike many other worldlines with similar phenomenon, society treats the disease as a health tragedy. Victims are treated humanely and usually put into safe homes for the remainder of their natural lives.

In the first months, there was some panic and hysteria, but that faded to it just being a fact of life. By 1996, treatments were developed allowing for mostly symptom-free life, although those with existing symptoms are out of luck.

It's now 2002, and society is still trying to deal with the chaos.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #3973
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Around 1987, a moderately contagious disease spreads around the planet via air travel.

Victims lose 2-4 IQ, gain Bad Temper and Bestial, and oddly enough have increased resistance to blood loss and injury. This is largely due to dramatically slowed brain metabolism. It is similar to Tuberculosis in infectiousness.

Unlike many other worldlines with similar phenomenon, society treats the disease as a health tragedy. Victims are treated humanely and usually put into safe homes for the remainder of their natural lives.

In the first months, there was some panic and hysteria, but that faded to it just being a fact of life. By 1996, treatments were developed allowing for mostly symptom-free life, although those with existing symptoms are out of luck.

It's now 2002, and society is still trying to deal with the chaos.
This could be a world where the USA has Canadian-style national health care but we've only just begun to get the internet.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #3974
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The USA is still racked by terrorism in the year 1895.
I don't think that works without much greater changes than you could pull of by killing a few leaders. Terrorism on any substantial scale really requires at least passive agreement of a lot of the local population, if not active support. There's a reason why you can have endemic IRA terrorism in Northern Ireland and yet strikes even as close as London are rare and failure prone, or that ETA rarely operates far outside the Basque Country, or that despite the much better attention payoff, Al Qaida has mounted thousands of operations in Iraq these last decades and like 5 in the US.

The assassinations are side issues here, if there were enough people willing to do this, and enough popular support for their cause to pull it off, it wouldn't *matter* if the CSA government surrendered or not, these guys aren't going to give up just because some lily-livered traitors tell them to.

Edit: For the Infinite Worlds setting it also has one of those issues that come up occasionally in that people forget that isn't really a *time travel* setting. If the change point is 31 years ago, well OK it's not clearly stated how long Centrum has had crossworld travel, so I suppose it's *possible* they were running some sort of experiment, but Infinity has only known about them for a decade. And if they've been meddling in stuff for more than 30 years, they really should have a handle on things like the language issue by now.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd

Last edited by malloyd; 02-10-2019 at 07:36 PM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #3975
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I don't think that works without much greater changes than you could pull of by killing a few leaders. Terrorism on any substantial scale really requires at least passive agreement of a lot of the local population, if not active support. There's a reason why you can have endemic IRA terrorism in Northern Ireland and yet strikes even as close as London are rare and failure prone, or that ETA rarely operates far outside the Basque Country, or that despite the much better attention payoff, Al Qaida has mounted thousands of operations in Iraq these last decades and like 5 in the US.

The assassinations are side issues here, if there were enough people willing to do this, and enough popular support for their cause to pull it off, it wouldn't *matter* if the CSA government surrendered or not, these guys aren't going to give up just because some lily-livered traitors tell them to.

Edit: For the Infinite Worlds setting it also has one of those issues that come up occasionally in that people forget that isn't really a *time travel* setting. If the change point is 31 years ago, well OK it's not clearly stated how long Centrum has had crossworld travel, so I suppose it's *possible* they were running some sort of experiment, but Infinity has only known about them for a decade. And if they've been meddling in stuff for more than 30 years, they really should have a handle on things like the language issue by now.
The Southern Fire-Eaters were always a problem and the simple fact that the Civil War ended relatively cleanly was a narrow thing. By the way, the America of the 1890s was racked with terrorism. Most of it was directed by White Supremacists against Black Folks and Native Americans, also some at the labor movement. The main difference in my setting is that a much wider field of targets and a wider area of the nation attacked.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #3976
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
By the way, the America of the 1890s was racked with terrorism. Most of it was directed by White Supremacists against Black Folks and Native Americans, also some at the labor movement. The main difference in my setting is that a much wider field of targets and a wider area of the nation attacked.
Sure, and the labor movement ones were even symptoms of a relatively serious threat, both to the US and most other nations, even if fairly few of them actually fell to Communist revolutions. But note that both the socialist/communists and the black suppression (which actually I think was just starting up around then more than having been an ongoing thing) enjoyed that widespread public support. And they became issues around then as a consequence of the decade long global economic depression lasting until 1898 or so, not because of any lingering aftereffects of the Civil War.

And notice that neither of them were that terrible a threat to democracy. At least not from the *government* side, much as some of the right might have liked it to be, the risk of demogogues riding the popular wave of socialism into power was certainly real enough.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #3977
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Try this one...

This is a Myth Parallel or maybe a near Myth. This is a world highly similar to LotR but not the same. The Geography is similar, but not the same. Tolkien's Elvish languages can be used to talk to the local elves, but the lore and poetry will confuse them. There was a Dark Lord, his Ring into which he had put his soul was destroyed by a Halfling throwing it into a volcano, but not that much like the book.

Note: There was a lot more magic in this world. Humans, Dwarves, Halflings, and Orcs, use GURPS Magic. Elves and similar beings used Realm Magic. Now that the Dark Lord is dead, humans are able to learn magic far more easily without risk of being enslaved to the Dark Lord.

It is now 150 years after the destruction of the Ring. All of those who were connected with the events of that quest are either dead or have left this world. There are no more ships that can sail to that furthest West of the Elves.

Elves and Dwarves are fading in numbers. Their death rates are very low but their birth rates are far lower. Orcs are less than they were (use standard GURPS Orcs) although a few, the Ringblessed, are still born that are stronger and more cunning than normal (all stats at 12 for a minimum except PER 15) but they don't breed true. Halflings are slowly growing in numbers and human numbers are growing quickly. The Tech Level has gone from 3 to 4 printing is becoming common, roads are rapidly improving.

Dragons, Orcs, Trolls, and those Humans that Worshiped the Dark Lord as their god aren't happy. This new society has no place for them. Wizards with cannons were an especial shock to Dragons. Generally their last shock.

Meanwhile, Western humanity's growing numbers and wide distribution is beginning to cause the rule of the kings to break down. Many new settlements, especially in the Western Wilds, know little of the Kings and see officials more rarely than they see dragons or elves. These places are simply forming as small informal republics.

This Q4 world (30% Low Manna/65% Normal Manna/5% High Manna) is moving toward war. Homeline likes importing King's Foil and similar herbs from here and doesn't want the Cabal enslaving these people. Meanwhile, Midwinter Aton (a renegade Cabal faction) seeks to restore the Dark Lord and learn all his secrets. The Cabal is terrified of a Sauron equivalent (basically an evil archangel with extra powers) loose in the multiverse.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #3978
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This is a Myth Parallel or maybe a near Myth. This is a world highly similar to LotR but not the same. The Geography is similar, but not the same. Tolkien's Elvish languages can be used to talk to the local elves, but the lore and poetry will confuse them. There was a Dark Lord, his Ring into which he had put his soul was destroyed by a Halfling throwing it into a volcano, but not that much like the book.

What do we call this one? Tolkein-3?


I like it. The decline of the kings is a nice touch. Probably the result of wilderness traditionally ravaged by orcs being suddenly free to be settled. Middle earth has a LOT of wilderness.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #3979
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What do we call this one? Tolkein-3?


I like it. The decline of the kings is a nice touch. Probably the result of wilderness traditionally ravaged by orcs being suddenly free to be settled. Middle earth has a LOT of wilderness.
You read me well. The people of Middle Earth needed their kings for defense and got little else from them. The economy was very underdeveloped and technology was retrograde. With technology and magic spreading and the common people well able to look after themselves the Kings are in long term trouble.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #3980
PTTG
 
PTTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Neptune worldlines are those that are completely ordinary, yet have very little dry land. Most Neptune worlds, including Neptune-1, have ordinary, albeit divergent, geology.

Neptune-1 is used as a crosstime fishing ground and multipurpose ocean. Often known as Ohio's Ocean.

Neptune-7 is topographically identical to Homeline, with sea levels raised 2000 feet, leaving a few chains above water. Sediment and erosion indicate that the sea level rose over a few centuries circa 5000 BCE, suggesting it may be "weird" somehow, but nothing is in evidence.

Neptune-9 is remarkably shallow and even, with few places more than a hundred meters deeper or shallower than the global sea level average of 500 meters. There's no volcanic activity.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.