Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #531
Lord Carnifex

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Exempt from Duels You are a man of the cloth, lady, invalid, or otherwise exempt from obligation in your culture to fight duels. Either the one who challenges you loses reputation for doing so, or you are allowed to appoint a champion in your place. However, you yourself are barred from challenging anyone, and must find a friend to do it for you.

Matched Weapons
A form of Signature Gear you own a set of matched weapons appropriate to your culture, TL, and skill. Unless the situation is a dire emergency, you may only use these weapons for fighting duels.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."

Last edited by Lord Carnifex; 10-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #532
Dwarf99

is it too powerful to have a perk that acts as an accessory for any thing that might be related to your Powers (assuming the IA was built with Variable) such as flame guy's cig lighter, or ice guy's frostifying glasses etcetera?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #533
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Hmmm ...

What about a further limitation: Does not apply to active Skill use.
As in it only works for basic IQ rolls? That seems okay to me, actually. So much of what IQ does is Skill-related, this seems like a big difference.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #534
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Exempt from Duels You are a man of the cloth, lady, invalid, or otherwise exempt from obligation in your culture to fight duels. Either the one who challenges you loses reputation for doing so, or you are allowed to appoint a champion in your place. However, you yourself are barred from challenging anyone, and must find a friend to do it for you.
Surely that's just a social facet of being one of those things, which comes with the traits that represent that: Clerical Investment, Social Stigma, etc.

Quote:

Matched Weapons
A form of Accessory Perk, you own a set of matched weapons appropriate to your culture, TL, and skill. Unless the situation is a dire emergency, you may only use these weapons for fighting duels.
What does this Perk actually DO? Just guarantees that you'll have access to weapons to supply for a duel?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #535
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
What does this Perk actually DO? Just guarantees that you'll have access to weapons to supply for a duel?
Practically identical weapons for duelling use. 'One for me, one for you. I'll let you pick, though they are identical twins.'

Could be convenient I guess.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #536
Mateus

I LOVE this thread. You gave me a LOT of good ideas!
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #537
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
As in it only works for basic IQ rolls? That seems okay to me, actually. So much of what IQ does is Skill-related, this seems like a big difference.
I was thinking it might apply also if a not-by-choice roll is (for whatever reason) skill-based.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #538
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Exempt from Duels You are a man of the cloth, lady, invalid, or otherwise exempt from obligation in your culture to fight duels.
I'd add that this perk may already be included in advantages such as Clerical Investment or Status (or even disadvantages such as Social Stigma) -- check with your GM before taking it separately.

Quote:
Matched Weapons A form of Accessory Perk, you own a set of matched weapons appropriate to your culture, TL, and skill. Unless the situation is a dire emergency, you may only use these weapons for fighting duels.
Minor point, this is more of Signature Gear than anything. The Accessory perk isn't for external gear -- it's for accessories that are part of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
is it too powerful to have a perk that acts as an accessory for any thing that might be related to your Powers (assuming the IA was built with Variable) such as flame guy's cig lighter, or ice guy's frostifying glasses etcetera?
If you mean a single perk that works at a low level with every power that you have, then yes, that's too powerful. Each of the examples you mention are their own perks.

If you mean "can people buy perks that represent minor uses of their abilities?" then heck yes. That's explicit -- in fact, Power-Ups 2 goes into plenty of detail on it with lots of examples.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #539
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I'd add that this perk may already be included in advantages such as Clerical Investment or Status (or even disadvantages such as Social Stigma) -- check with your GM before taking it separately.
Sure. And it's only of any value if you're in a game that you'd expect to fight duels frequently.

Quote:
Minor point, this is more of Signature Gear than anything. The Accessory perk isn't for external gear -- it's for accessories that are part of you.
Fixed Now.

Yeah, this perk doesn't do much other than ensure that you always have access to a matched set of weapons.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #540
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Sparrowfart: The character gets +1 IQ in the hour before dawn.
1 hour before dawn or after sunrise is IQ+1 (Accessibility, 1h, -40%) [12]

Since 1 hour corresponds to roughly 4% of the day.

Pricing it as a perk is very abusive, specially since it's predictable, for a significant time and exploitable for several circumstances.

Edit: rats, posted from a page rather than the last, issue has already been addressed, my bad for repeating the obvious.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks