Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default Magery and Innate Attack

Does Magery affect Innate Attack skill? If I have Magery 3, the Fireball spell and Innate Attack: Projectile, does the Innate Attack: Projectile get a bonus of +3 because of Magery?

I seem to recall that in Powers, Talent added to Innate Attack skill, though I could be wrong.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: Magery and Innate Attack

I d not think it does. I have never played with a GM that allowed Magery from the Basic Set add to the Innate Attack skill.

However we could be wrong, Powers is not something we have delved deeply into.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Does Magery affect Innate Attack skill? If I have Magery 3, the Fireball spell and Innate Attack: Projectile, does the Innate Attack: Projectile get a bonus of +3 because of Magery?

I seem to recall that in Powers, Talent added to Innate Attack skill, though I could be wrong.
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
Powers is talking about what sort things Talents can apply to. Specifically success rolls to use abilities associated with the power Talent. Powers is giving an example what sort of skills you want the talent bonus to apply to, not telling you that all talents apply to Innate Attack. This is presented as general advice for building future power Talents.

Magery is a specific talent that only applies to the success rolls of casting spells, Perception to spot magic items, and Thaumatology. It's already been established in Basic Set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
mr beer

No.

It's come up before as a house-rule though and it's something I would likely institute if I wanted to encourage mages to use more missile spells. I don't think it's overpowered where Magery is capped at +3. It would be powerful in a DF setting where you could go to +6, though I think a lot of the time Great Haste or Grease will be a more powerful choice.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:

Magery specifically doesn't affect Spell Throwing so...no. Magery is not precisely a Talent
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
You remember correctly. A "power talent" does usually affect IA skills (Powers p29). But Basic/Magic spells-as-skills is not a "power", spells aren't "abilities", and Magery is not a "power talent". Those rules are their own thing, not a worked example of Powers. Powers p188 even has a section discussing how a "magic power" and spells might interact. Two different ways to accomplish similar effects.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
You remember correctly. A "power talent" does usually affect IA skills (Powers p29). But Basic/Magic spells-as-skills is not a "power", spells aren't "abilities", and Magery is not a "power talent". Those rules are their own thing, not a worked example of Powers. Powers p188 even has a section discussing how a "magic power" and spells might interact. Two different ways to accomplish similar effects.
And corollary to that, Sorcery (a thoroughly-worked example of "Magic-as-Powers") has Sorcery Talent for [10/level], as the sorcerous counterpart to Magery, which does add to Innate Attack skill.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote