Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Is Transhuman Space a "silly" genre?

I am starting to get curious about Transhuman Space but before I buy anything I want to know what style of game it is. Most of the time SJ Games makes silly genres but there are some that are more serious and I like the serious style more. If Transhuman Space is something like Space Munchkin I don't think I will be very interested in purchasing any of the products but if it is serious then I would be very interested. If you can give me some idea about the style of Transhuman Space I would appreciate it. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Is Transhuman Space a "silly" genre?

Transhuman Space is relatively hard SF, based on some fairly serious extrapolation from current trends. The mood of the books is quite sober. Be warned, though, that it's written for 3rd edition, and you'll want to buy Changing Times for conversion to 4e.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
tshiggins

<Blink>

Okay, that question caught me by surprise.

First of all, just to be clear, Transhuman Space is a science fiction roleplaying game, not a card game such as Munchkin. I don't know that you meant to imply that, but it's a possible interpretation of your question, so I figured I'd address the possible misconception, first off.

Transhuman Space is a hard science fiction RPG setting, the hardest most of us have ever seen. By that, I mean that none of the technology in use violates physical laws as we understand them. Some of it lies out on the optimistic end of the possibility curve, but none of it breaks the rules.

That means no space aliens, no faster-than-light (FTL) drives, and the entire setting takes place in our own solar system.

The setting does include optimistic projections about the development of biological and computer sciences, which allows for the creation of genetically-engineered, biologically-modified, or even scratch-built, forms of life. The advances in computer technology mean artificial intelligence is a fact of existence. Moreover, the development of AI granted some incredible insights into the human thought process, which is now much better understood than at any time in human history.

In addition, the setting has achieved mature fusion power, which has done much to alleviate energy dependence, and foster space exploration as a means to acquire the HE3 fuel that operates the reactors. That, in turn, led to industrialization of the moon, and the wealth brought by that has allowed colonization and ongoing terraformation of Mars. Humanity also has outposts on Titan and other planets and moons, the asteroid belt is lightly populated, and Cislunar orbit has millions of inhabitants.

The setting paints an optimistic view of the future, but one with real problems -- both in the standard sense of competing interests, unequal access to wealth and benefits of technology, and irrational behavior driven by emotions or narrow self-interests. So, the setting includes crime, warfare, violence, terrorism, and beings just trying to make a buck.

However, it also allows for examination of some tough philosophical questions. For instance, if a human mind can be reproduced digitally, with 100 percent accuracy, does the digital copy qualify as human? If the human from which the copy was taken dies, or is killed, and the copy gets written to a clone generated from the DNA of the original person, does the clone count as the same person, since its thoughts and memories exactly match the original?

According to the setting, human thought patterns are so well understood, that counseling is incredibly effective at changing anti-social behavior. But, that means it can also be used to alter behavior simply considered "undesireable." Where do we draw the ethical line about when it is acceptable to use such techniques?

If a corporation creates a piece of software that thinks as well as a human, does the firm have property rights over that intelligent being? Or does that AI have human rights? What if the corporation uplifts an animal, so it thinks as well as (though perhaps differently from) a human, does that animal have human rights? Does a corporation or a government have the right to create a population of strong, hard-working artificial biological beings who enjoy their lives and their work, but genetically engineer them to seldom question authority? Do the leaders of a faith have the right to use the advanced understanding of human thought to create a culture in which apostasy is, literally, unthinkable?

However, even though the setting raises those questions, the GM can avoid them if he likes. Mars is a wide-open frontier planet where survival takes a lot of work, and misfortune can make people desperate. A straight-up "space marshalls" campaign could work there.

On the other hand, communication technology is so advanced that a "tramp merchant" campaign would be tough. However, a charter-spacecraft campaign, in which the owners take orders for passengers and cargoes to out-of-the-way places, could work fine. Plus, there's all sorts of opportunities for trouble-shooters, mercenaries, private investigators and outlaws (though security is advanced enough that ignorant low-lifes have a tough time as crooks).

It is, in my opinion, the finest science fiction setting to come along, ever. I like it better than 2300 AD, and that's saying a lot. However, the concepts are so complex that the setting can intimidate both GM and players. I'm a veteran GM with a history of successful games, and I have a tough time getting my head around how to deal with some of the ideas that appear, in Transhuman Space.

Last edited by tshiggins; 12-06-2009 at 11:26 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I am starting to get curious about Transhuman Space but before I buy anything I want to know what style of game it is. Most of the time SJ Games makes silly genres but there are some that are more serious and I like the serious style more. If Transhuman Space is something like Space Munchkin I don't think I will be very interested in purchasing any of the products but if it is serious then I would be very interested. If you can give me some idea about the style of Transhuman Space I would appreciate it. Thanks.
No, THS is not by default silly (though I suppose you could make it that way if you wanted to). I also need to say, that SJGames makes very few books in genres that are silly by default.

Of the main settings: Banestorm, THS, Trav:ISW, Infinite Worlds, WW2...none of them are silly. Dungeon Fantasy is a whimsical fun sort of not so serious set of rules. That is one set of rules...and it is a subgenre rather than a full genre.

I know that you are all upset that DF isn't Dungeon Horror...but you can make it that if you want to. You can do what you want in your games.

Last edited by trooper6; 12-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
M.Bushbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
First of all, just to be clear, Transhuman Space is a science fiction roleplaying game, not a card game such as Munchkin. I don't know that you meant to imply that, but it's a possible interpretation of your question, so I figured I'd address the possible misconception, first off..
There is the RPG book for Space Munchkin, as well as the card game.
M.Bushbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Dungeon Fantasy is a whimsical fun sort of not so serious set of rules. That is one set of rules...and it is a subgenre rather than a full genre.

I know that you are all upset that DF isn't Dungeon Horror...but you can make it that if you want to. You can do what you want in your games.
Well thanks for the help. I am interested in Transhuman Space now. I just don't want to get a science fiction game with a lot of jokes about clones and silly things. I just like the read a book that sets a tone for an adventure setting and if TS is serious I would like to buy some items.

Don't worry, I've given up hoping that DF would be more serious. I just use it for the rules.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
xeniac

Hmmm... im not very confident but I belive that 90% of all "silly" SJ Games are now labeled "Munchkin". Of course there is also "Bunnies and Burrows", Toon, and Chez Geek. In my experience you can spot silly Games by their silly covers, or by the Kovalic illustrations. Transhuman Space doesn't have any silly covers made by Kovalic.

Ps: If you want FTL travel and Aliens take a look at GURPS:Traveller - Interstellar Wars. IMHO this "new" Setting is far better then the original Traveller.
Its life in some Office of note
xeniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeniac View Post
Hmmm... im not very confident but I belive that 90% of all "silly" SJ Games are now labeled "Munchkin". Of course there is also "Bunnies and Burrows", Toon, and Chez Geek. In my experience you can spot silly Games by their silly covers, or by the Kovalic illustrations. Transhuman Space doesn't have any silly covers made by Kovalic.

Ps: If you want FTL travel and Aliens take a look at GURPS:Traveller - Interstellar Wars. IMHO this "new" Setting is far better then the original Traveller.
Bunnies and Burrows as silly? I haven't read the book, but I have read Watership Down...and that wasn't silly...it was sort of scary actually. I could imagine B&B being similarly scary. Or is it written with a comedic touch?

And b-dog, there are no clone jokes that i can remember in THS--it has a serious tone by default.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Bunnies and Burrows as silly? I haven't read the book, but I have read Watership Down...and that wasn't silly...it was sort of scary actually.
I haven't read Watership Down, but if The Plague Dogs is anything to judge by, it will be rather depressing.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
I haven't read Watership Down, but if The Plague Dogs is anything to judge by, it will be rather depressing.
I read it in Junior High. It was... like reading a book about vietnam with talking animals as the main characters, from what I recall.

I think next halloween I'll do a B&B/ Cthulhu one-shot.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote