Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Seamonster

Default My Reasons for not Buying HASBRO's 4th Edition

Change is good. My personal philosophy is that any change is better than no change. The release of 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons from HASBRO has reinforced this, because now, more than ever, gaming will be easily divided into those who love MMORPGs, and those who love tabletop RPGs.

HASBRO's corporate involvement into our favorite pastime has drawn a line in the sand. Clearly, the masses will flock to the bastardized line of an old favorite, unknowing of the difference between genuine flare and colorful commercials. It's no longer about slaying dragons, monsters, and evil priests, basking in the glory of victory; it's about assigning balance (and damage dealing) on the battlefield, reliving your assigned role, time and time again, so that your group can effectively counter your Dungeon Master's plans.

What is a balanced game? As a self-proclaimed progressive musician, and a gamer of tabletop RPGs for many years, "balance" strikes a funny chord. It represents a bland submission of relativity in the face of hard gaming truths: a good story (or song) takes inspiration, melody, and timing. Inspiration is the chaos of spontaneity, which fuels original (and exciting) compositions. Without it, you have a textbook take on the same old thing. Melody is key to attractive tones and settings, familiar to the audience (or your fellow gamers), and attractive by nature. Timing is anticipation, assigning a role to your faculties, like a french horn player in an orchestra. D&D 4e claims to harbor character roles well, but it solidifies them to the point that they have no inspiration, and their melody is the same old tune. HASBRO's wish for gaming is that all gamers sing the same tune: combat. Whether rogue, wizard, cleric, or bard, all character classes will only provide one note, so that the game rings a monotonous hum so deafening that inspiration is lost.

To me, this is a war on gaming. HASBRO has made it's territory plain, and easy to spot. What I love about my hobby will no longer be plagued by gray "crossovers". You're either a video gamer, at heart, or you're a roleplayer. Simple as that. This change in mass market gaming has done us a favor, because it will shift the Dungeons and Dragon's masses into a more easily discernible box. Their meager existence may provide the same entertainment as television, but mine will be heart-wrenching dramas of adventure that speak to my whims, despite what the pen and paper say.

And the funny thing is, I will do it while retaining my pocketbook. For, if nothing else, HASBRO's financial demands of me are too much to bear, even if I so wished to support such a mongrel of corporate America.
Seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: My Reasons for not Buying HASBRO's 4th Edition

Drama, much?

Inspiration and timing are something that are developed by game masters independently of the game system. However, no amount of timing and inspiration will save you if the combat system isn't fun. And that was apparently one of the primary goal of this new edition - making sure that each character has his role to play in combat, and thus each character has a chance to shine.

Hopefully, I will get my copy tomorrow so that I can put some more thoughts in this. I presume that you have already purchased your own copy, so that you were able to make up your mind about this game?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
I presume that you have already purchased your own copy, so that you were able to make up your mind about this game?
The world is too big and varied to buy every game that comes out. To some degree, it is necessary to rely on free previews, professional reviews and gamer word of mouth.

All of which have convinced me, at any rate, that I'll do better spending my gaming budget of money and time on something else than D&D 4th Edition.

Without any grand moral proclamations, it appears to me that the gaming experience that WotC seeks to deliver is so far from my prefered game that it could as well be different hobbies.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Anders

Ye gods, do we really need another D&D 4th edition thread? We have another thread in which this post would fit perfectly. At this rate they'll have to institute a D&D 4th ed sub-forum...
Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
The world is too big and varied to buy every game that comes out. To some degree, it is necessary to rely on free previews, professional reviews and gamer word of mouth.

All of which have convinced me, at any rate, that I'll do better spending my gaming budget of money and time on something else than D&D 4th Edition.

Without any grand moral proclamations, it appears to me that the gaming experience that WotC seeks to deliver is so far from my prefered game that it could as well be different hobbies.
See, I can understand that. "From what I've heard about it, this game doesn't suit my taste." Perfectly reasonable.

However, if someone comes up with some sort of conspiracy theories about a "war on gaming", I expect at least a modicum of actual research of the prime sources...
Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Ye gods, do we really need another D&D 4th edition thread? We have another thread in which this post would fit perfectly. At this rate they'll have to institute a D&D 4th ed sub-forum...
The release of D&D 4th Edition is a huge event in gaming, whether you play D&D or not.

As such, it's natural that it will be discussed and it seems clear that Roleplaying in General is the appropriate subforum for that. It is not necessarily better to discuss all aspects of the release in one huge thread than it is to parse such discussion into different areas. Of course, that assumes that there is clear delination of the focus matter for each thread.

I'll reserve judgment on whether this thread is necessary or harmful until we see how discussion develops in it.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
However, if someone comes up with some sort of conspiracy theories about a "war on gaming", I expect at least a modicum of actual research of the prime sources...
It would not be my prefered phraseology, but I can understand the point being made.

The OP has defined 'gaming' rather narrowly, yes, and is making the assumption that promoting one aspect of it is necessarily an attack on another, but I can understand fears that tabletop roleplaying may move towards MMORPGs in the future.

Of course, the proper response to that, for those who find this an undesirable direction, is to vote with their wallets for games which move in the opposite direction.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
We're inclined to cut slack right now, given that the game just came out and lots of people are likely to be looking it over in the next few weeks.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Flyerfan1991

Quote:
"Two!! No more than two!!"

The Gully Dwarf smiled.

--Mike L.
Flyerfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
We're inclined to cut slack right now, given that the game just came out and lots of people are likely to be looking it over in the next few weeks.
It would be interesting to hear what the professionals like you and Dr. Kromm has to say about it. Although I can understand if you rather didn't comment - might look as if SJG had an official position.