Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
mlangsdorf

Default ATE: Specialized gadgeteer and elevators

If I've got a specialized gadgeteer who wants to repair an elevator, is that Mechanics, Electronics, or some other specialization that isn't obvious to me?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Warlockco

Default Re: ATE: Specialized gadgeteer and elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If I've got a specialized gadgeteer who wants to repair an elevator, is that Mechanics, Electronics, or some other specialization that isn't obvious to me?
Depending on what's wrong with the Elevator, its Mechanics or Electronics is my guess.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
Depending on what's wrong with the Elevator, its Mechanics or Electronics is my guess.
There probably is no power grid, so where does the electricity come from? A building generator?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
jason taylor

What are you using elevators for? Surely if you have any power grid at all you have a lot more urgent uses?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
Also the type of elevator can determine how difficult the engines and control rooms are to access.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
adm

Keep in mind, not all elevators use electricity, although mechanical ones only go to a handful of floors. There is an old feed store near here that uses one that goes two floors that is ~10'X12'. Dumb Waiters would be another example.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
starslayer

I can see needing to repair an elevator for something akin to some of the vaults in fallout, where while there are stairs those are in terrible repair, and the cool stuff is on the bottom floor (you know the one under all the flooding), its got power, no one is going to live there- fixing the elevator (at least for a gadgeteer) is easier then clearing the debris on the stairs.

With that said- Mechanic or Electrician depending on what's wrong with it- if its a situation of 'I've got an elevator in a shaft and I want to move it regardless' mechanic should do it of course this may mean your supplying the motive power from somewhere else, or doing a 'this is going to work once, and it will only work DOWN' solution to the problem (less scary then it sounds, most elevators have centripetal brakes that will lock in the event anything goes wrong with the elevator- modifying them to be a slow descent instead of solid lock would not be hard).

If instead your trying to make the thing go a combination of electrician and mechanic are in order; and your going to need access to the engine room AND the pulleys- hope your gadgeteer is in good shape cause that's a lot of climbing. Assuming they have power they are going to need to climb UP to the pulleys and free them up, oil them and assure the lines are in good order, then DOWN to the engine room and repeat the service on the pulleys there, service the electrical motor (Check, and likely remove, repack with grease and replace the bearings, check and likely redo the windings), and then get power to it. If the elevator failed catastrophically they may need to service the cart to remove those centrifugal breaks from the locked position.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Bruno

Raiding a factory or warehouse building of something large and valuable is probably not possible via the stairs - they may never have been built to support the weight even when well maintained, never mind the danger of moving large objects on staircases. You can get something on wheels and drag it into an elevator, but that'll never fly on the stairs.

Dungeon Fantasy might have you looting an awkwardly big idol, but ATE will have you looting an office generator or battery bank, a lathe...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Dungeon Fantasy might have you looting an awkwardly big idol, but ATE will have you looting an office generator or battery bank, a lathe...
And Block and tackle work the same way in both... ;)

But getting the elevator running in ATE is probably preferred to Block and Tackle. In DF that's what Henchmen are for.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And Block and tackle work the same way in both... ;)

But getting the elevator running in ATE is probably preferred to Block and Tackle. In DF that's what Henchmen are for.
My Hulk certainly prefers that the elevator be working, otherwise he'll have to do all the grunt work... and I'm not sure most ruins stairs can hold his weight on his own.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, elevators