Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Monorey

Default Dungeon Master Munchkin Rules?

Hey guys,

I'm new here, pretty new to Munchkin as well. I apologize if there is a better place for questions/answers/ideas like this one.

I was sitting around talking about Munchkin and fun game mechanics and D&D rules and all that ... and I got to thinking that you could do a pseudo D&D style game with Munchkin!

Something along the lines of having one player be the DM the rest can party up or go solo if they wish. The DM get dealt the door cards and plays them as they see fit in order to stop the other players. Maybe the number of cards he can play will be a die roll modified by the number of players.

Once the players defeat the monsters, they can loot the room and split the spoils as they see fit. I was thinking of having some kind of rule where the party can somehow "sacrifice" one of their members (thus keeping with the Munchkin theme of attempting to screw with your friends).

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone already tried this out and came up with a rule set for something along these lines. If they did, how did it work out? If not, who wants to help me try to hammer out the details (number of cards per player, amount of monsters to put in play, what happens when a player dies, etc)?
Monorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Putney

Default Re: Dungeon Master Munchkin Rules?

There is a munchkin rpg from the early aughts, you can find the link right on the munchkin site.
The books are very rare at this point though
Putney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney View Post
There is a munchkin rpg from the early aughts, you can find the link right on the munchkin site.
The books are very rare at this point though
I don't recommend it. It was really more intended as a parody of D20/OGL games than as a playable RPG.

Instead I suggest you play Toon Munchkin, which has the added advantage of actually being available from e23!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't recommend it. It was really more intended as a parody of D20/OGL games than as a playable RPG.

Instead I suggest you play Toon Munchkin, which has the added advantage of actually being available from e23!
Bear in mind, this requires the purchase of some Toon books as well. Yes, I know that there are links to the e-books one would need to purchase on the Toon Munchkin page, but it should be mentioned that Toon Munchkin is not a complete game all unto itself.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Bear in mind, this requires the purchase of some Toon books as well. Yes, I know that there are links to the e-books one would need to purchase on the Toon Munchkin page, but it should be mentioned that Toon Munchkin is not a complete game all unto itself.
That's true, but Toon is also still in (digital) print on e23. The D20 Munchkin wasn't very self-contained either, it took a lot of other D&D/D20 stuff to make it actually playable.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
six's monkey

I think there's something worth exploration in this, but for now anyone interested will have to homebrew their own rules.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon, master, modified, rules, watermelon