Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
hoshisabi

Default [DF] Clerics

I was browsing e23 and I saw that DF7: Clerics was available to purchase, so I thought it might have been a prerelease or something, since I didn't see an announcement on the Daily Illuminator.

So, it was just a little strange that I didn't see a big announcement, but if anyone wants it, go get it:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0311

Keep making these things! Great stuff! Good amounts of crunch and lots of things to think about for your current campaign.

(In my current campaign, I was already trying to figure out the difference between the generic "clerics," who are your standard healing sorts that adventure, and the "Church of the Coin" who are the sort who will happily heal your wounds in town -- for a price.)
hoshisabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [DF] Clerics

It was announced in the e23 forum, which is where Thursday releases are generally posted. Thursday's releases generally show up in the Illuminator on Friday or Saturday, though it can vary.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
giganerds

As long my headache permit me go through this book, the description of the Gods and the Clerics are very nice. More, I expect this material is about Clerics only, but it also contain Holy Warrior stuff, and other bits.

Congratulations to Phil
Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganerds View Post
As long my headache permit me go through this book, the description of the Gods and the Clerics are very nice. More, I expect this material is about Clerics only, but it also contain Holy Warrior stuff, and other bits.

Congratulations to Phil
Ditto.

I'm reading DF 7, and I think Phil has made a great job here!

This small PDF makes more overall sense, is more mature, playable and valuable than several editions of D&D Deities & Demigods together.

Seeing things like these (along with the entire DF line), I find myself thinking things like GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is actually redeeming "'old' school fantasy role playing" from its current state (D&D 4 for its foremost example), and sustaining that legacy in a definitely improved way.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 10-30-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typos
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
b-dog

This book does have a more realistic tone than many books about fantasy with dungeons. A lot of people who play the DF type of game do so mostly because they like the action and excitement of adventuring in a dungeon, but once there is enough action then the players really do like to have more things to do and I believe that clerics really offers them a lot of interesting ideas for character development. I feel that *good* DF is a balance between enough action and having your character have a life outside of dungeons and I think this book really delivers for players who have clerics and holy warriors.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
giganerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
This book does have a more realistic tone than many books about fantasy with dungeons. A lot of people who play the DF type of game do so mostly because they like the action and excitement of adventuring in a dungeon, but once there is enough action then the players really do like to have more things to do and I believe that clerics really offers them a lot of interesting ideas for character development. I feel that *good* DF is a balance between enough action and having your character have a life outside of dungeons and I think this book really delivers for players who have clerics and holy warriors.
Adding to what b-dog say, many of the support DF books (Allies, Artifacts, etc.) including here the future releases (taverns, etc.) have a great utility in not so dungeon-crawling, pure action-oriented campaigns.

I don't have the DF 1-4 (probably I'll buy it somewhere in the future), but DF 5+ is a nice companions for any generic Fantasy Games.

Dammed headache, this day is a nightmare for me. Sorry for any typo.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
demonsbane

This is my take here: in various ways, DF 7: Clerics is offering useful material for many Fantasy campaigns, not just "dungeon campaigns". While it's good for the DF line to keep its own focus and defining assumptions, however it's really difficult to restrict the whole thing to underground caves and such. I think the effort of the authors for restricting the subjects to dungeons alone are somewhat noticeable and even a bit "forced" (but I don't mean to be critic here by saying this).

Sooner or later, the DF line will "go out". Well, it's doing that already if one wants to see the subject from that angle: I'm looking to "City Gods" in DF 7 (p. 11), the "'Useless' Skills" box in DF 7 (p. 9), the upcoming and before mentioned Taverns, and such things.

OTOH, sometimes it's possible to find things like these in the books:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF 1: Adventurers, p. 3
"It’s a guide (...) pillages history and fantasy novels at random for powerful equipment and mythology. Use it in a serious fantasy campaign at your peril."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF 7: Clerics, p. 5
"Nevertheless, this is dungeon fantasy. Don’t overthink, and don’t overcomplicate! (...) In short, the GM decides how complicated the game world is, and how much complicated theology to work in."
In various ways, I see the DF line as a bit paradoxical, but this doesn't try to be a negative criticism. Some paradoxes can be interesting after all.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
NorphTehDwarf

One thing that I would have liked to see would be stats for servitors of Neutral or insane gods. Aside from that, good job all round.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
One thing that I would have liked to see would be stats for servitors of Neutral or insane gods. Aside from that, good job all round.
Neutral, you've got plenty of. Insane is for NPCs (which this book isn't). Frivolous as the Dungeon Fantasy genre may be, it assumes that PCs have coherent goals and (simple, selfish) motives, which precludes proper fantasy-insane cult behaviour, in my judgement. Worship the Great Squid and you're painting your toes purple while the pants of the vicar go rataplan rataplan and colourless green ideas do definitely think furiously.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 10-31-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Neutral, you've got plenty of. Insane is for NPCs (which this book isn't). Frivolous as the Dungeon Fantasy genre may be, it assumes that PCs have coherent goals and (simple, selfish) motives, which precludes proper fantasy-insane cult behaviour, in my judgement. Worship the Great Squid and you're painting your toes purple while the pants of the vicar go rataplan rataplan and colourless green ideas do definitely think furiously.
Sometimes PCs are converted during play. In the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, if the PCs touch the walls of the temple are they will become disgusted with any light brighter than a hooded lantern and strange desires will begin to flood the individual's mind during times of quiet. These desire will be unwholesome at first, then absolutely strange..Finally the name of Tharizdun will rise unbidden to the individual's lips whenever he or she is under stress and needs aid.

Also, insane gods are fun for the DM.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, dungeon fantasy