Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Apollonian

Default [Ally] as "skill" roll?

For my next GURPS campaign, I'm thinking about doing the Ally (and Patron, etc.) advantages a bit differently: Instead of rolling for availability at the beginning of each session, a character rolls for his Ally's availability whenever he wants said Ally to do something for him, whether that's running a license plate or tagging along as a bodyguard. Modifiers may apply depending on the situation, and the player can try to adjust modifiers a bit by making other skill rolls.

Has anyone else done something similar? I'm trying to think of potential pitfalls to this; the advantage would be bringing allies etc. into game play more organically, rather than checking at the beginning of the session and then coming up with a reason why Bob the Bodyguard is not, in fact, guarding the body.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Psychotime

Default Re: [Ally] as "skill" roll?

I was thinking of doing something like this, too. Not sure how to go about it, though.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Veton

Personally I roll to see if the ally is available each adventure rather then session, it avoids that problem. I might require another roll if long periods of time pass in the adventure though, although that's never really come up for me.
Veton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veton View Post
Personally I roll to see if the ally is available each adventure rather then session, it avoids that problem. I might require another roll if long periods of time pass in the adventure though, although that's never really come up for me.
That is what the rules say to do, so...
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
benz72

I just keep track of their availability over time and make sure it is correct. Individual adventures get decided by GM fiat, not chance. So lang as the numbers add up in the end I see it as a fair system that makes the story
better and doesn't require as much storyline gymnastics.
Essentially this means that the first session they get for free and at some reasonable break point the Ally will become unavailable. I generally let the story dictate the reason (and therefore the timing) of that non-availability. (You got your bodyguard shot by heading to the gang-ruled slum at 3AM in a mercades, sorry, he's still in the hospital).
So far no complaints... but maybe I just have a tendancy to pick very reasonable players...

Tags
advantages, ally, house rules