Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #31
GodBeastX

Default Re: Pyramid #3/96: Tech and Toys IV

Awesome stuff all around!

Ironically, every article applies directly to a campaign I am running! Event construction of modern buildings! I love it!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #32
Wavefunction

Would it be possible to provide the numbers you assumed when you checked these bows against the Deadly Spring spreadsheet? Beyond just the material stats, bow length, draw weight, etc. I'm trying to follow along, but the numbers I'm getting for the TL11 bows are drastically different.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #33
GodBeastX

For armor creation section, a Powered-armor (AKA ST enhancement system) woulda been cool, but the rest is baller =)
Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #34
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
For armor creation section, a Powered-armor (AKA ST enhancement system) woulda been cool, but the rest is baller =)

I'm just going to leave this link right over here....... http://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2016/09/...owered-up.html

Though I am going to have to update it now do to this issue.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #35
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Would it be possible to provide the numbers you assumed when you checked these bows against the Deadly Spring spreadsheet? Beyond just the material stats, bow length, draw weight, etc. I'm trying to follow along, but the numbers I'm getting for the TL11 bows are drastically different.
Sure! For the Sport and War bows, I consistently assumed an overall bow length of 48 inches, with a 75% working percentage. Using Rectangular or D-Section for bow shape, I tweaked the thickness to go for a 35% deflection/length ratio. The real key to the numbers, though, is the number of string loops. Setting that higher allows for a much higher target draw length. I also used the realistic numbers for damage, not cinematic.

To model the TL 11 War Bow, for example, using a composite of carbon nano-matrix and memory metal, a draw weight of 200 lbs (since it includes memory metal, it's designed for a ST 10 higher than the target ST of 10), a chosen thickness of 0.2300, 100 loops of string, and a target draw length of 680 inches, the spreadsheet turns out a damage value of 12d. Subtracting the thrust damage for ST 10, 1d-2, that leaves 11d+2. Using Modifying Dice + Adds, that converts to +41, thus producing the TL 11 War Bow's thr+41 damage modifier. Reasonably clear?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #36
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Sure! For the Sport and War bows, I consistently assumed an overall bow length of 48 inches, with a 75% working percentage. Using Rectangular or D-Section for bow shape, I tweaked the thickness to go for a 35% deflection/length ratio. The real key to the numbers, though, is the number of string loops. Setting that higher allows for a much higher target draw length. I also used the realistic numbers for damage, not cinematic.

To model the TL 11 War Bow, for example, using a composite of carbon nano-matrix and memory metal, a draw weight of 200 lbs (since it includes memory metal, it's designed for a ST 10 higher than the target ST of 10), a chosen thickness of 0.2300, 100 loops of string, and a target draw length of 680 inches, the spreadsheet turns out a damage value of 12d. Subtracting the thrust damage for ST 10, 1d-2, that leaves 11d+2. Using Modifying Dice + Adds, that converts to +41, thus producing the TL 11 War Bow's thr+41 damage modifier. Reasonably clear?
Yes, thanks. It seems my main problem was that I'd misinterpreted how the target draw length worked, I figured it could only be as long as a human arm could actually draw, and a compound design simply allowed you to compensate for thicker, harder to deflect limbs.

EDIT: Okay, putting in the numbers, I can get thr+54 out of a 6' 10'' English longbow-esque monster. Not too shabby.

Last edited by Wavefunction; 10-22-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #37
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Yes, thanks. It seems my main problem was that I'd misinterpreted how the target draw length worked, I figured it could only be as long as a human arm could actually draw, and a compound design simply allowed you to compensate for thicker, harder to deflect limbs.
I believe that's how it's supposed to work. If I'm wrong, well, the numbers don't work. So I hope I'm not wrong. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction
EDIT: Okay, putting in the numbers, I can get thr+54 out of a 6' 10'' English longbow-esque monster. Not too shabby.
Finally, the dream of shooting through castle doors can be achieved in (fictional) reality!
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #38
Wavefunction

Quote:
I believe that's how it's supposed to work. If I'm wrong, well, the numbers don't work. So I hope I'm not wrong. :)
Hopefully Douglas Cole will pop along in a bit and answer this for both of us.

Quote:
Finally, the dream of shooting through castle doors can be achieved in (fictional) reality!
Honestly I'm still far more terrified by the shaped charge arrows. That's entirely doable at TL9, which means it's theoretically within reach of a brilliant TL8 non-Gadgeteer.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #39
Christopher R. Rice

Clearly you've never seen Rambo...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #40
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Hopefully Douglas Cole will pop along in a bit and answer this for both of us.
The target draw length is indeed supposed to be the extent to which the bow is drawn back. For humans, it can be as much as as about 36" or so, for draws that go *past* the face, which some styles do. the one most are familiar with, drawing to the face, is where you often get the more traditional 27-30"
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/96