Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #41
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Campaign chronology seeking constructive criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You seem to have the idea that only fanatics could oppose them. I think that qualifies as a Delusion, at least at quirk level.
Who else could oppose? No scholarships to oppose unprecedented technological revolution so why would anyone waste time bothering to these figures and potentially damaging their own status among the way? Obviously it's one thing to be good, and another to be stupid, so if someone tries to hurt them, they will defend xD

Ps. I have received a notice for being racist in this thread, has anyone felt discriminated against? :S
Old 07-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #42
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It may be useful to group the various endeavors into larger chunks for easy digestion.

I find this list more helpful:

2017-2018: computer work culminating in true AI. continues.
2019: Various ground breaking medical work. continues.
2021: Humanoid Robot made including human skin.
2024: Transhuman Church Founded
2025: Mary Produces a wide range of Lyrical, Musical, and Narrative works. New species introduced.
2027: Improvements in anti-aging medicine
2028-2030: Drive towards cybernetics. Art continues at reduced pace
2031: Holo-projectors invented, renewable energy perfected.

I'm not sure if the "The Transhuman Church" is meant to compete with traditional religion. If so, you can say goodbye to literature prizes. There are other accomplishments though. Such as being taken off of the best sellers list because you're cluttering the space up (yes, that has happened).

Nobel Prizes tend to be very slow to occur and happen in retrospect. Giving the same one more than once is also improbable. I can certainly see these folks receiving them within five years instead of twenty though.

"Awards" and "Achievements" certainly go beyond the ones you have listed.

Time's "Person of the Year" Award has some meaning, and is given at the end of a year of note for that person.

Try Exploring documentaries about their lives.

A lot of fame is going to be from popular entertainment. What news are they in? Do they get solicited for documentaries or advertisements? Which ones?

The success of individual products is probably as noteworthy as any awards they get. What products make you think of them immediately?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #43
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
johndallman is saying that the only story they inspire in him is the one where they are.
Slight misunderstanding there. I wasn't assuming that they were frauds. I was imagining a criminal character trying to defraud them, or on defrauding other people by pretending to have influence with them.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I am not able to see what benefit they would obtain out of it
A campaign that is more plausible and interesting then what you are presenting, mostly.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Slight misunderstanding there. I wasn't assuming that they were frauds. I was imagining a criminal character trying to defraud them, or on defrauding other people by pretending to have influence with them.
Ah, well I apologize for misunderstanding.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Who else could oppose? No scholarships to oppose unprecedented technological revolution so why would anyone waste time bothering to these figures and potentially damaging their own status among the way? Obviously it's one thing to be good, and another to be stupid, so if someone tries to hurt them, they will defend.
In other words, they do not tolerate dissent or criticism, and will try to destroy the reputation of anyone who engages in such, and get them ostracized from human society. I think you're making my case for me.

But prior to that, in the first place, you have them founding a new religion that is converting people in massive numbers. As a person of no religion whatever, I find that a threat; I'm looking at the history of Christianity and Islam, both of which converted people in large numbers, and I think both did great harm, partly through the sheer intensity of belief they engendered. And in the second place, you portray at least one of these people as having amazing personal charisma, and the other as being a brilliant propagandist. Well, it seems to me that that kind of influence is often abused, and that people who have it are threats. You should see Tolkien's warning about the peril of the Beautiful Fay, whose very beauty makes them perilous, or as Galadriel put it, "All shall love me and despair!"

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #47
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That sounds like a really interesting and profitable "business" venture, could you elaborate more? :3
Old 07-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #48
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
A campaign that is more plausible and interesting then what you are presenting, mostly.
Mmmm, I do not really know what to say up to this... If there is ever anybody able to make a difference, at this point she or he needs to be a very powerful character as to make a difference, otherwise she would be just a crazy woman screaming nonsense at anyone willing to listen xD
Old 07-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #49
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In other words, they do not tolerate dissent or criticism, and will try to destroy the reputation of anyone who engages in such, and get them ostracized from human society. I think you're making my case for me.

But prior to that, in the first place, you have them founding a new religion that is converting people in massive numbers. As a person of no religion whatever, I find that a threat; I'm looking at the history of Christianity and Islam, both of which converted people in large numbers, and I think both did great harm, partly through the sheer intensity of belief they engendered. And in the second place, you portray at least one of these people as having amazing personal charisma, and the other as being a brilliant propagandist. Well, it seems to me that that kind of influence is often abused, and that people who have it are threats. You should see Tolkien's warning about the peril of the Beautiful Fay, whose very beauty makes them perilous, or as Galadriel put it, "All shall love me and despair!"
Of course they tolerate criticism, their life is not based on showing what they are, but on being it and continue to move towards "a better future" for the human race... But if someone goes out on TV and starts calling them antichrist or mass murderers, those disinformers will be taken out of the way! ヽ(ಠ_ಠ)ノ
Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #50
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

As the original poster has been banned and will not be able to participate further in this discussion, I am locking this thread.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread