Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Campaign chronology seeking constructive criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I must confess, the story that these NPCs inspires in me is about a carefully planned criminal conspiracy leaching off their companies and inventions.
Yes, "massive con job" is certainly more realistic!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I must confess, the story that these NPCs inspires in me is about a carefully planned criminal conspiracy leaching off their companies and inventions.
Any player is free to try that if they want :)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #33
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, "massive con job" is certainly more realistic!
Yes, as pointed out any player is invited to try to do that if they want... But so far no one has tried (only one filed a lawsuit for a patent, but was paid out and went to the underworld) :(
Old 07-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #34
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A history that is different that what happened or what you would expect.
Sure!

The stage is not designed to be a prediction of a possible future, only as a relatively idealistic future :)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Any player is free to try that if they want :)
So a player is free to try to expose Adam and Mary as frauds? Would you allow that to succeed?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #36
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Honestly, these appear to be over-the-top wish fulfillment characters. This isn't at all realistic, but I don't really think that you expected us to say so. This is also just generally bad writing, regardless of the medium, but especially bad in roleplaying games for the reasons Bill is suggesting, because they overpower player agency merely by existing. I suspect though, you expected us to say this too.

Look, if you and your players having fun with playing kinky middle-aged janitors living in an OPOCracy, then why are you asking?

If they aren't, then it might be because of the issues that have already been brought up: you are more interested in developing these ubermensch NPCs than in providing a campaign for the players.

ETA: Add Damon Knight's excellent and disturbing Why Do Birds to Bill's list of fiction about characters with "You Gotta Believe Me".
Hi there and thanks for reading,

there is no problem of boredom or anything like that, I just need to release more information on these two characters in particular and I want it to be realistic (in being possible in accordance with the rules of the game, so that the players can reproduce if they wish the same results).
Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #37
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
So a player is free to try to expose Adam and Mary as frauds? Would you allow that to succeed?
There's nothing on my side that can stop it, they should only succeed in the creation of the appropriate character (or train one), exploit the many weaknesses of Adam and Mary and rolling the dice (and for that the most important thing is luck). But I wonder why would anyone want to expose them as frauds when they are not... I actually invited some players at one point to try and get them murdered (thus they could be martyrs) and all lay hands on their heads inquiring why anybody in their right mind would want to do that :S

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I want it to be realistic (in being possible in accordance with the rules of the game, so that the players can reproduce if they wish the same results).
Nothing about these characters is realistic, so you should start over. Or stop asking if they are realistic because they aren't.

There's no reason why you can't make them in GURPS, though. You can make a psychic blueberry muffin as a PC in GURPS so realism isn't relevant.

Quote:
But I wonder why would anyone want to expose them as frauds when they are not...
johndallman is saying that the only story they inspire in him is the one where they are. You said players were welcome to try that. If they were actually welcome to try it, it would need to have a chance of success.
Quote:
why anybody in their right mind would want to do that :S
That they are terrifying monsters that represent an apocalyptic threat to human liberty, for starters.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #39
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Nothing about these characters is realistic, so you should start over. Or stop asking if they are realistic because they aren't.

There's no reason why you can't make them in GURPS, though. You can make a psychic blueberry muffin as a PC in GURPS so realism isn't relevant.

johndallman is saying that the only story they inspire in him is the one where they are. You said players were welcome to try that. If they were actually welcome to try it, it would need to have a chance of success.
That they are terrifying monsters that represent an apocalyptic threat to human liberty, for starters.
Hi there and thanks for answering,

well, I mean according to the rules (I assume the rules fit the reality) but there are limits, absurd superpowers are not allowed for example, the maximum skill level for a character is 24, I'll start raising my eyebrows at any character that has more than a 15 in an attribute... simple things actually. At this moment the most important thing is to determine in which dates the Prizes and Awards have been granted upon them and why...

If any player has such an inspiration as johndallman they are invited to fulfill their wishes, I am not able to see what benefit they would obtain out of it but it's as simple as not all characters have to be right in the head (around here there are a masochist, a junkie and a nymphomaniac, for example). And there is of course a chance of success but as the situation has not arisen I have never calculated it :S

Quote:
This makes a great statement for any group of fanatics who oppose them, thank you :)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
This makes a great statement for any group of fanatics who oppose them, thank you
You seem to have the idea that only fanatics could oppose them. I think that qualifies as a Delusion, at least at quirk level.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Closed Thread