Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #31
David Johnston2

Default Re: One True Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Isn't terrorism considered a crime of war?
Not necessarily. And I don't see the relevance anyway.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #32
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
Not necessarily. And I don't see the relevance anyway.
Why is it irrelevant?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #33
JAW

Quote:
Why is it irrelevant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion."[1] There is no internationally agreed definition of terrorism.[2][3] Most common definitions of terrorism include only those acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants. Some definitions also include acts of unlawful violence and war.
It's irrelevant because any time you write anything about "terrorism" nobody knows what you mean... ;-)
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Why is it irrelevant?
Terrorism is an attack on civilians to frighten the public at large. I don't see where that comes in.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #35
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
Terrorism is an attack on civilians to frighten the public at large. I don't see where that comes in.
Using IEDs to destroy military targets is considered terrorism. Why Infinity's project against R5 wasn't? Nukes don't discriminate between soldiers and civillians, BTW.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
JAW

Quote:
Using IEDs to destroy military targets is considered terrorism. Why Infinity's project against R5 wasn't? Nukes don't discriminate between soldiers and civillians, BTW.
I suppose the plan was not to terrorize R5 to submission (as was the case with hiroshima and nagasaki) but simply to nuke them to hurt them to eliminate them as a threat.

hiroshima and nagasaki were not terrorism - they were use of terror tactics - the "ism" part is missing there.

If infinity had actually done the plan I'd call them "amoral murderous cowards" not terrorists. As they didn't - maybe they're not totally amoral, They were planning and seriously considering it? Well that just tels that they were pretty darn afraid of R5 and did not value the life of people that live in R5 very much compared to their own lives...

They were just planning it and that makes them terrorists?? You got to be joking. The plan was actually made up by SJGs writers (not to that much details as the plans made by infinty of course). I suspect that in Pentagon, Kreml , wherever, they made up hundreds of similar scenarios and "plans" to detail during the cold war - but nobody really seriously considered putting those plans in action.. Does the planning make SJG writers or the people that worked in Pentagon and Kreml terrorists??

Last edited by JAW; 10-19-2008 at 02:01 PM.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #37
David Johnston2

[QUOTE=Molokh]
Quote:
Using IEDs to destroy military targets is considered terrorism.
By whom? Certainly not by me. Mind you the guys who do that also randomly attack civilians in order to frighten the public, so they can still be called terrorists. But that's beside the issue. Not only is it legal for the American Defense Department to make plans to invade Canada or incite warfare on Reich-5 regardless of whether you've watered down the concept of terrorism enough to cover those things; the fact that they considered the plan and didn't go through with it because of all the people it would get killed shows that they really do acknowledge the personhood of the people in the other worlds. What's more they weren't wrong. Reich 5 really is a threat and because they didn't go through with that plan it is very likely that Homeline will one day find itself in a war with the Reichers compared to which World War II is nothing more than a skirmish.

Tags
infinite worlds