Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
DeDiceManCometh
 
DeDiceManCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Good luck on getting any of the current VTTs to support a Megahex grid via their intrinsic grid layer. You'll probably have to kludge together an image with a transparent alpha channel....ick.
__________________
  • "You want to know how to end up with a McMansion and a Porsche by writing RPGs? Start with four McMansions and a Ferrari."
DeDiceManCometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #12
robertsconley
 
robertsconley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I tried Roll20 and the video takes up more of the screen that it really necessary. And it has really poor versatility compared to old systems like OpenRPG. I would rather use Google Hangouts for straight video than Roll20.
Most people I know don't use Roll20 built in voice and video. They use discord, skype or hangouts.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
heruca
 
heruca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDiceManCometh View Post
Good luck on getting any of the current VTTs to support a Megahex grid via their intrinsic grid layer. You'll probably have to kludge together an image with a transparent alpha channel....ick.
That may be the case for users of most VTTs. But Battlegrounds users can just download this TFT Compatibility Kit, which includes a generic megahex map (40x46), several megahex grid overlays in different colors and styles, and a variety of megahex-patterned "obstacles" that can be used to recreate the original Melee and Wizard mapboards, or create entirely new/custom ones. Note that these images do not contain center dots in the hexes, since Battlegrounds already has functions for checking range and line of sight from the center of each hex. Including center dots would just be visually distracting, so I left them out.
__________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for RPGs

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
RobW
 
RobW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Yes, I replied about this in that thread. Here's the thread I started about the doc I made and have been using for collaborative gaming.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough. This allows collaborative, interactive gaming for free. Please look at it.
Dear zot, now I beginning to UNDERSTAND, I thought you were posting the maps just as handy hex grids.

I've never used google docs collaboratively. So the idea is that everyone in the gaming group can simultaneously edit a presentation, ie game board with images of counters etc? Can everyone move the counters around? And then do you do anything special for public dice rolls?
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
Venomous Filigree
 
Venomous Filigree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Plymouth, UK.
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

This was the game that introduced me to RPGs and to to see whether it's just nostalgia calling me to back the Kickstarter, or whether its as fun as I remember, I'm running an online game with my friends a week Friday.

I was originally planning on using R20, however I might have to try Battlegrounds as that looks like it might be more TFT friendly.
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
Groknard
 
Groknard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH USA
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

D'oh! I had my cart loaded up to purchase BRPG (GM and floating licenses) and remembered at the last second to check the system requirements. Unfortunately I won't be able to run this on my Mac as I'm on OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Too recent, which is usually not the problem I run into these days! I'll need to see if I still have an old Windows laptop I could run it on.
__________________
___________________
Robert -- Cleveland, OH
Groknard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #17
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Dear zot, now I beginning to UNDERSTAND, I thought you were posting the maps just as handy hex grids.

I've never used google docs collaboratively. So the idea is that everyone in the gaming group can simultaneously edit a presentation, ie game board with images of counters etc? Can everyone move the counters around? And then do you do anything special for public dice rolls?
Yes exactly. I've been using it collaboratively for so many years, I sometimes forget that a lot of people don't know about its excellent collaboration. Everyone edits it and can move around the counters and whatnot. Just go to File->Share on the menu and add the people you want to share it with. They do need google accounts to edit, though.

Here, I made an example collaborative map, that you can copy, along with explanations (that you can delete), and a spreadsheet for dice rolling (but you can also use something like rolz.org). To roll dice with the spreadsheet, it'll ask you to authorize my script, which isn't registered, so it gives you a warning about that (you can read the code from the Tools->Script Editor menu if you want). If you don't want to run that, you can just use rolz.org or something for your dice.

For voice, we use phones or something like Discord, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, or Skype.

Last edited by zot; 07-31-2018 at 02:00 PM.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
RobW
 
RobW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

That's a cool idea zot! It's nice too how the counter shapes have a rotate tool immediately available after selecting, it looks like it would make counter facing easy and natural. Plus in theory someone could join in the game from most any computer, iPad, or even phone if you were desperate.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
zot
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
That's a cool idea zot! It's nice too how the counter shapes have a rotate tool immediately available after selecting, it looks like it would make counter facing easy and natural. Plus in theory someone could join in the game from most any computer, iPad, or even phone if you were desperate.
Thanks, Google Docs has served us well! They are one of the few groups to get collaboration right (for those interested in the computer science behind it: they do operational transformation properly).
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 AM   #20
heruca
 
heruca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
D'oh! I had my cart loaded up to purchase BRPG (GM and floating licenses) and remembered at the last second to check the system requirements. Unfortunately I won't be able to run this on my Mac as I'm on OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Too recent, which is usually not the problem I run into these days! I'll need to see if I still have an old Windows laptop I could run it on.
Yeah, I tried to get a Battlegrounds v2 Kickstarted, but failed miserably. One of the goals was to bring back full modern Mac support, and to offer a free level of use.

Best bet now for Mac users is to run it under Windows (Boot Camp), or in a VM like Parallels or Fusion.
__________________
MapForge battlemap creation software for RPGs

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.