Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
ammocase

Default Quick question about Infinite Worlds

I'm a few days away from running a GURPS LITE game (gradually leading into more advanced options from the corebooks). And I decided on using Infinite Worlds, I dont have time to read in detail any of the books, including the cores at the momment (next week is a week full of exams, so I have to study this whole week).

My adventure was that the group is stopped by customs at an airport, and while they are arguing with Air Marshals and TSA guards over a mis-identity, which they have been accused of running around with weapons and explosives, they strangely get warped into a dimension and either end up in a Prehistoric period, or in some war ravaged world.

Only thing is.. I dont have time (and I tried looking at the book and all i been reading about is the "theory") to find out if this is possible with Infinite Worlds. Is Infinite Worlds like the show Sliders? Where they have gadgets (as opposed to what I'm doing.. where they just strangely appeared in another dimension with no gadget or equipment) that has them jump into different dimensions? I'm basically wondering if them just appearing into another dimension is possible, I dont want to finish reading Infinite Worlds and find out I dug myself into a hole because i did something not possible in the setting (in this case they just appeared in another dimension and I eventually find out It has to be done with gadgets they triggered or something).

Also, do they have doubles? Like i want to work in the fact their "other" selves from another dimension was on their dimension, and were killed... so now they have to take up their other-selves mission as the Infinity Patrol. Is this possible?

I'd appreciate any help, also the pages from the book, or topics where my questions are refrenced is greatly appreciated. I do have the book, just not much time.

I just started reading GURPS LITE actually (just got into 4ed from 3ed, and I havent ran a GURPS game in years... actually since I was an MIB years ago), and I'm avoiding the core books and any other books i own at the momment because I'm more focused on LITE (since most of my group are new to the system anyway) and my BIOLOGY exam.

Thanks for any help...
ammocase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
knarf

Default Re: Quick question about Infinite Worlds

If the PCs are private citizens, then they can purchase tickets on a parachronic conveyer to visit established "safe" worlds, much like we buy plane tickets to get on a plane to visit places that have airports built to receive them. The Infinity Patrol and other dedicated parachronic organizations have conveyers that can take them to "unsafe" worlds for exploration and trouble-shooting.

There are also other wacky things that can connect worlds, which can include the "tunnel network" shown on Sliders.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
transmetahuman

Yeah, it wouldn't be too hard to justify what you say is going to happen. Maybe one of them has a Jumper Affliction, Area Effect, Unconscious Only, Uncontrollable or something. Or a passing invisible unicorn did it on a whim. Seriously. IW is a pretty wide-open setting almost by definition, I wouldn't worry too much about accidentally making something that CAN'T fit in there somehow.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammocase
Is Infinite Worlds like the show Sliders? Where they have gadgets (as opposed to what I'm doing.. where they just strangely appeared in another dimension with no gadget or equipment) that has them jump into different dimensions? I'm basically wondering if them just appearing into another dimension is possible, I dont want to finish reading Infinite Worlds and find out I dug myself into a hole because i did something not possible in the setting (in this case they just appeared in another dimension and I eventually find out It has to be done with gadgets they triggered or something).

Also, do they have doubles? Like i want to work in the fact their "other" selves from another dimension was on their dimension, and were killed... so now they have to take up their other-selves mission as the Infinity Patrol. Is this possible?
These things are up to you as GM, but are certainly acceptable within the context of the IW cosmology. Travel to other timelines is usually done by device (such as the conveyors used by Infinity and Centrum), innate ability (the Jumper advantage, often psionic in nature in IW), or spell (like Plane Shift). Spontaneous shifting, like you are thinking of, is unusual, but not out of the question. Infinity researchers might suspect one of the characters to be a Jumper, possibly with imperfect control (such as with the Uncontrollable or Unconscious limitations), since natural events with similar effects are usually very noticeable. Appropriate reading might be [references are to Infinite Worlds page numbers, except for the Basic reference for Louis]: Research from p22; Projectors and Conveyors from pp27-30; The Cabal (pp68-69) have a hand in a lot of mysterious goings-on, as well as a different worldview; Parachronozoids (pp73-74) are the kinds of things you might meet in strange timelines; Other Hazards (pp74-80) shows some of the other ways you might end up "somewhere else"; and the details on the Jumper advantage (pp174-175) has some variations specific to the IW setting.

Doubles canonically can exist (see the background for the iconic character Louis d'Antares on B312), though you're only guaranteed to have one if you have the Temporal Inertia advantage. Having doubles of the characters figure into a storyline is quite plausible in an IW game.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammocase
My adventure was that the group is stopped by customs at an airport, and while they are arguing with Air Marshals and TSA guards over a mis-identity, which they have been accused of running around with weapons and explosives, they strangely get warped into a dimension and either end up in a Prehistoric period, or in some war ravaged world.
The simple "all of a sudden you're mysteriously transported to another world" has a long and hallowed history in Gurps. Most examples come under "banestorming" but there are many other possibilities.

Bringing the PCs as replacements for outtime doubles sounds like the result of a natural 18 either on a spell or a Weird Science device. It's even fairly close to some of the possibilities on the
"Fascinating Parachronic Disasters" table from p.532 of Campaigns. Sadly this does not seem to be reprinted in IW. If you have the 3e Time Travel book it _will_ be in there.

Back to your question, sure you can do this. There's nothing wrong with the basic ideas in terms of IW canon.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
ammocase

Thanks everybody, you all have been a great help.

It's day like this where I wish I had Johhny 5's (short circuit) fast reading ability and could just read everything in seconds.
ammocase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds