Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #11
JulianLW

Default Re: Chronokinesis: True Time Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
DR 120 (Cosmic, Defensive +50% Malediction-Proof +50% Only impedes maledictions -50%) [900] could probably counter your 13,000 points.

You might even go w/ a -10% power modifier like magic or psi to save 60 points [840] and this would allow doing a Power Block meaning you could get 120 DR from a base of 60 DR and only invest 420 points.

I'm not sure why you're adding Persistent +40% (your AE is going to attack people 10x once per second before snuffing out) if you're just going to give permanent immunity to anyone who saves.
Malediction bypasses DR. Anybody who buys specialized DR for Maledictions for 900 CP deserves to bypass the time stoppage, IMO. The Persistent enhancement makes the Affliction last for a base 10 seconds. I was under the impression I needed a duration to add Extended Duration.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
The Persistent enhancement makes the Affliction last for a base 10 seconds. I was under the impression I needed a duration to add Extended Duration.
You do, but it already has one, P118 "This lasts for a minute per point by which he fails his HT roll."

I'm kinda wondering if buying Cosmic Defensive +50% on Compartmentalized Mind might skirt the "unaware of the universe and can’t act in any way, not even mentally" part of this, or if that would only counteract Negated Advantage.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #13
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You do, but it already has one, P118 "This lasts for a minute per point by which he fails his HT roll."
So if I drop Persistent +40% and replace it with Fixed Duration +0% I'd end up with the same result? That'd save a few points.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
So if I drop Persistent +40% and replace it with Fixed Duration +0% I'd end up with the same result? That'd save a few points.
I guess, if you're boosting to permanent it kinda becomes irrelevant if you add fixed or not. I'd actually like to see beyond +280% they just keep increasing it rather than calling it permanent
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:44 PM   #15
Crystalline_Entity

This was really interesting to me, as I tried to build a similar power once. My attempt was simpler but probably less rigorous:

Jumper (Time Stop; Improved, +10%; Can carry objects, Medium encumbrance, +20%; Cosmic: No active defence allowed, +300%; Maximum duration, 12 hours, -0%; Cosmic: can manipulate objects outside timestream, +50%) [480]

This allows the user to concentrate for ten seconds and make an IQ roll. On success, they, and their equipment up to medium encumbrance, are taken out of time until they use this ability again or 12 hours passes. The "Cosmic, No active defence allowed" enhancement allows attacking others while time is stopped, and "Cosmic, Can manipulate objects outside timestream" allows things like theft and opening doors (and is costed as "avoiding drawbacks" in PU4).

I'm not sure whether this is a fair, legal build; using Cosmic always makes me nervous!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #16
JulianLW

Nice. But I used Cosmic too! And I think your build is actually better than others I've seen for the kind of time-stop you see in movies.

And I guess it doesn't really make much of a difference if you jump "outside" of time or if you make the whole universe come to a stop around you - except insofar as there will be others who - by doing things like buying success or having some kind of Cosmic immunity or whatever - manage to evade your time-stoppage, which means that my build potentially stops the universe for everybody who can take advantage of it - and everybody the jumper includes.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #17
Anders

Don't make it a Malediction. Buy it with Cosmic: DR Does Not Protect, +300%. Yeah, it's 20 points more but really... that's where you draw the line?

Tags
chronokinesis