Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #31
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: And the Angel of Irony wept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanos View Post
That does not mean that the people who wrote the books of the Bible were actively trying to discredit women, which, after all, was not even necessary. Almost all societies at the time were not exactly of the opinion that all humans were equal.
Um depends on who you count as writers and who you count as editors. There definite claims that the 325 AD the Council of Nicea. Did just that.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #32
Phoenix42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I also agree that the "Fundamentalist Christian IN" you linked to is probably not one that I would play -- and I'm a Protestant Christian! That said, I don't think IN demands the relativistic philosophy, even though it was obviously conceived in it. Those who want to tie it to a particular faith or to a more solid good-evil conflict aren't having Hurting Wrong Fun unless they push it on someone who's clearly not interested. Which is true of any take on any RPG, of course.
To be fair - I think there's likely a world of difference between fundamentalist Christianity and non-fundamentalist Protestant faiths, so your reluctance is quite understandable; though I'm speaking as an atheist, so I guess there are those who would say I can't make statements on the matter. But I agree, there's no harm at all in tweaking IN according to one's own philosophy, religious or not - in fact, the system actively invites it, and know I do it all the time - I just always wonder (and this is likely telling of my having studied philosophy, I just realise) when it stops being In Nomine and starts being something entirely different - an academic exercise at best, I'll readily admit. But it may be one of those questions that are more revealing than their answers...

One thing that might be noted in general about the "sexing angels" as you put it so neatly, is that of course it makes for a lot easier roleplaying. Playing an absolutely non-human entity is trying at best, and defining angels with a sex certainly makes things easier as far as character identification is concerned - which is probably why IN allows that most angels have sexual preferences in one way or another. Of course, playing an angel who has no comprehension of the difference between the sexes, or the motivations behind them, makes for great fun and probably quite a few anthropological insights - if you can pull it off.

Quote:
(And as a side note -- yes, I do consider "sexist" a more accurate adjective than "misogynist" for what was being described. Thanks for being accommodating; I hope I haven't been too rambling in return. )
Always glad to improve my definitions - no rambling involved, imho.

One question, though (and this is probably going to be another testament to my ignorance): What is Hurting Wrong Fun? I assume from your usage and capitalisation that it's a term in it's own right, I just haven't heard it before - the curse of being on the wrong side of the pond/channel.

Last edited by Phoenix42; 08-14-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: can't spell for toffee
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #33
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
One question, though (and this is probably going to be another testament to my ignorance): What is Hurting Wrong Fun? I assume from your usage and capitalisation that it's a term in it's own right, I just haven't heard it before - the curse of being on the wrong side of the pond/channel.
I normally see it as "BadWrongFun" It basically A way of saying while you acknowledged there everyone involved is not saying doing it for real, but saying that perhaps playing that was is not such a good idea. Assume you not being ironic yourself.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
Hurting Wrong Fun is a phrase I usually see used ironically or humorously; it suggests someone saying "How dare you play that way? And how DARE you enjoy it?"

To put what I said earlier another way: there's nothing incorrect about a group tying the game to a particular belief system, unless they're forcing someone to play in a way they're not comfortable with.

EDIT: A definition of HWF from another forum used this: "Hurting Wrong Fun" means "What you like is so wrong to me that it causes me pain to think of you enjoying it. I must therefore do whatever is within my power to prevent you from enjoying it."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #35
Phoenix42

Thanks to you both for the explanation. Who said roleplaying wasn't educational...? :D
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
Cassanos

Patricia Pulling. ^^

[Babylon 5]
Cassanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 AM   #37
Notdan

I've just reread this, and was especially amused by the following quote about Jordi:

" Jordi favors humble vessels such as sheep, deer, rodents and canines, not cats, as the Balseraph stated. Anything soft, fuzzy and cute that doesn't have a prideful attitude like cats do."

Tags
christian, evangelical, house rules