Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-19-2023, 08:15 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Corrosion Damage and DR

Exploits P. 53 declares that every 5 points of corrosion damage reduces the DR by 1.

Sister Mariam Suntemple doses a Perhkali (DR 4) with holy water doing 1d-3 per round.

Minimum on all forms of damage save crushing = 1. Therefore, the holy water will deal 1 most rounds.

So after 5 rounds of 1 damage, the Perhkali's DR becomes 3? Does any of that corrosion damage penetrate the DR over those rounds?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
mburr0003

Default Re: Corrosion Damage and DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
So after 5 rounds of 1 damage, the Perhkali's DR becomes 3?
Yes.

Quote:
Does any of that corrosion damage penetrate the DR over those rounds?
Not unless it's DR drops to 0.

Also I presume you meant "Peshkali" and that your GM (or you if you're the GM) has added Supernatural Weakness: Holy Water to the Peshkali?

[EDIT]
That is to say, Holy Water as presented in DF/RPG is almost worthless, so adding Supernatural Weakness to demons and other Evil supernaturals is a great idea. Personally I also have it give +1 to +4 in Exorcisms and Esoteric Medicine (Divine) rolls depending on how it's used (from a "dab", like breifly painting a cross on someone's forehead with Holy Water, to liberally splashing half to a full flask around 2-3, to fully drenching someone/washing the wounded fully in it at +4). It's made it go from a "rarely purchased" to even non-Divine powered PCs carry a flask, just in case teh Cleric or Holy Warrior need it.

I also allow PCs to purchase the Aspergillum upgrade for maces:

Aspergillum: Any mace can be modified so it sprays holy water as it strikes, without losing damage. It must be filled prior to combat, and can hold a single bottle of holy water. After each attack, roll 1d; on a 1 the holy water has been exhausted. It can also be vigorously shaken to sprinkle the holy water over an area. Doing so requires 1d seconds, and spreads the water over an equal number of hexes, completely exhausting the holy water within the Aspergillum. +3 CF

Don't ask in what GURPS supplement I found this (probably a Pyramid) I don't remember anymore.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by mburr0003; 05-19-2023 at 10:45 PM.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 12:11 AM   #3
tbone

Default Re: Corrosion Damage and DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
That is to say, Holy Water as presented in DF/RPG is almost worthless, so adding Supernatural Weakness to demons and other Evil supernaturals is a great idea. Personally I also have it give +1 to +4 in Exorcisms and Esoteric Medicine (Divine) rolls depending on how it's used...
True. Unless the GM gives it special case-by-case uses ("This altar can only be purified by holy water!"), it's unfortunately not a must-have. Good ol' acid burns undead just as nicely as holy water – and burns everything else. It's even cheaper than holy water, before the clerical discount. (Granted, holy water is safer to carry in a fall or other accident...)

Making holy water worthwhile calls for a few tweaks:
  1. Make the damage meaningful. Double the listed damage vs affected foes (or just call it a clean 1d for simplicity).
  2. Make the effect more interesting than just "x points of damage". Some sort of revulsion or pain is appropriate. Lots of possibilities, but at the least, "target is stunned if it fails a Will roll" feels right.
  3. Add uses beyond "hurl at vampires". My fave: Borrow the spell components idea from DFRPG Companion 3, and treat holy water as a special form of $30 college component, with “spell college” replaced by Exorcism, Remove Curse, Turning, and other "cleansing" tasks. (I haven't tried your idea of letting it aid Esoteric Medicine (Holy), but that seems on-target too.)
A little more on the topic here and here.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote