Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #11
dataweaver

Default Re: How to apply Long-Range (Powers:108)

Instead of saying that everything has infinite range and no range penalties, what about a modifier that makes most of them work at the range of “mental touch”? That is, you must first establish some sort of telepathic connection to the subject; but once you've done that, you can freely use the other powers on that subject as if he was standing right next to you. Anyone else, even someone who is actually standing right next to you, is “out of range” until you establish a mental connection with them.

Then you only need to set up one power that has infinite range and no range penalties. And personally, I wouldn't bother with “no penalties”; instead, I'd borrow from the optional rules for Spirit powers in GURPS Powers (p.178, “Affecting others”) and replace the distance-based penalities with familiarity-based penalties: someone you've never heard of, let alone met, would be at a -10 “range penalty”, assuming the GM permits it at all; but someone that you're intimately familiar with can be contacted without any penalty no matter where they are. The rules I mentioned suggest penalties for cases between those two extremes. It's not quite “no range penalties”, as there are still penalties for separation; but those penalties aren't based on distance, and could extend your reach all the way to another planet if there's someone there that you're at least somewhat familiar with.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
modifiers apply at short range –50%
Where is this from? Powers 112 values Short Range at -10% per increment, it's not the inverse of +50% per increment of Long Range from Powers 108
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
Vaevictis Asmadi

Yep, the built that I'm attempting is indeed with Familiarity penalties replacing distance penalties. However, I don't want things like Terror and Affliction to require another ability to piggy-back on. Each of these abilities, except Clairsentience, is a form of mental contact. Only Empathy and Mind Probe should require piggy-backing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Where is this from? Powers 112 values Short Range at -10% per increment, it's not the inverse of +50% per increment of Long Range from Powers 108
Kelly suggested it as a limitation on the abilties that get Increased Range (Familiarity), because the Familiarity penalties apply even at very close range.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 11-18-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clairsentience, illusion, long-range, medium, mind reading, powers, telesend