Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #41
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Sorcery] is too expensive(?) for 150 pt game

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqrdroberts View Post
I just used No-Smell as an example. There were other Buffs that I thought were too expensive for their effects. Also, the example of the Bandit Mage, was just that, an example. I could have made the B-M any point cost -- I usually don't limit the point costs of my NPCS. I want to achieve the right effect and game balance, instead.

The real problem comes in with my PCs trying to upgrade their existing mages and clerics to the new systems (Sorcery and Divine Favor). The point costs came out significantly higher, so of course they balked at using the new systems.

Maybe the real question isn't whether Sorcery is too expensive, but that, perhaps, the original Magic system was too cheap!
Too cheap for what? It's exactly the right price for building '80s fantasy novel mages for under 200 points. Which was the original design intent.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #42
starslayer

Default Re: [Sorcery] is too expensive(?) for 150 pt game

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Obscure is basically applying a partial sensory disadvantage in a specific location. So its cost should scale with the disadvantage it's applying: Blindness [-50], Deafness [-20], Numb [-20], or No Sense of Smell/Taste [-5] (or No Infravision [-10], No Subsonic Hearing [-5], etc.). So Obscure (Hearing) should cost 40% of what Obscure (Vision) does, and Obscure (Smell) would cost 10%. That would put No-Smell into a much more reasonable [21] ([5] learned).
Yes/No. Being able to 'blind' smell is more about being able to cancel the 20 point advantage 'discriminatory smell' rather than not creating an odour detectable to essentially already 'scent-blind' humans, but having it cost only as much as hearing (IE negate an advantage worth 20 points or destroy a default trait worth 20 points) would make sense.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic as powers, sorcery