Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Laughing Man

Default Magic as Powers: Islands of War

Hey guys :)

I was searching the forums, trying to find ressources for "Magic as Powers" and found a link: http://islandsofwar.wikispaces.com/

It as a HUGE amount of spells (as powers) and some really interesting rules on Magic and Magery (as well as many other things). At a first glance I LOVE the spells and the rules. I am thinking about using those rules for my GURPS Pathfinder game. Now I can't find the thread again and I nowhere find anybody talking about this wiki. I am quite surprised, it seems like a very valuable ressource for everybody looking to use Magic as Powers. Especially the huge amount of spells, which cover most of the D&D spells.

I would love to talk about some of the content of this wiki. To be specific...
1. What do you think about how this wiki handles Magic in general? Look here
2. What do you think about the modified Magery advantage, which works in a completely different way now? Look here
3. Just for completeness sake here are the spells, ordered alphabetically, ordered by college and ordered by rarity.

General thoughts? Something you really don't like? Something you like? Everything would help, since I am trying to make up my mind whether I want to use this or not. Maybe you guys find the big flaws I am missing or maybe it really is awesome :)

p.s. If there already is a thread covering this wiki in detail, then excuse me, but I really couldn't find any thread on this.
Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Magic as Powers: Islands of War

I'm going to check into this. I'm currently running a GURPS Pathfinder and someone is about to start learning to be a mage.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Laughing Man

I would love to hear your opinion on those rules, once you read them.

I myself am not so sure what I think about the fact that magic users have to heavily rely on Limitations to get the Magery advantage cheap enough so they can buy enough points to make it worthwhile. At least this is my impression. When you look at the example NPCs on this wiki, they all have Limitations up to -80%, so they only pay 21 CP for Magery 100.
It is not really a bad thing, I am just not sure about it. There are additional special Limitations for Magery for that, by the way.

Here and here are the NPCs I am talking about.

Last edited by Laughing Man; 08-09-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Magery 100
WOW. I never noticed the character builds on the IoW Wiki. That's high!
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
When you look at the example NPCs on this wiki, they all have Limitations up to -80%, so they only pay 21 CP for Magery 100.
Magery is usually 10/level. With -80% in limitations it becomes 2/level. So 100 levels would cost 200 points (plus 5 for Magery 0 which probably wouldn't be allowed the same limitations).

High levels of Magery tend to break the system. That is why it is often recommended that the GM limit it to 3 or 4 levels depending on the campaign (see Thaumatology pg 20). I have heard of Magery as high as 10 in an over-the-top campaign. But I don't see 100 working very well. YMMV
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Magery is usually 10/level. With -80% in limitations it becomes 2/level. So 100 levels would cost 200 points (plus 5 for Magery 0 which probably wouldn't be allowed the same limitations).

High levels of Magery tend to break the system. That is why it is often recommended that the GM limit it to 3 or 4 levels depending on the campaign (see Thaumatology pg 20). I have heard of Magery as high as 10 in an over-the-top campaign. But I don't see 100 working very well. YMMV
Its not Laughing Man's word. But I am curious about this, hoping the author of the site (simulatoralive) will comment in the thread. :)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Varyon

Looks like just arguably-poor wording on the part of the houserules. Take a look here. "Magery" in this setting is actually the term for a Modular Ability - Magery 100 means you have [100] in distributable points for Spells (which are built as Powers).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Looks like just arguably-poor wording on the part of the houserules. Take a look here. "Magery" in this setting is actually the term for a Modular Ability - Magery 100 means you have [100] in distributable points for Spells (which are built as Powers).
So a different "Whoa!" moment. I think. I mean, Modular Ability doesn't provide a 1:1 point transfer... well I didn't think it did, anyway. As I haven't had the chance to read up on it yet, feel free to let me know if the site breaks it down somewhere. ^^'
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
simulatoralive

You guys still wanna chat about Islands of War? Sorry I didn't notice your thread until now. I don't chat about GURPS on these forums much anymore.

You may find this link helps you understand how I originally built my replacement Magery Advantage and why things work the way they do. It's an old article from way back in 2008-ish (no longer linked anywhere else in the wiki, if I remember correctly):

http://islandsofwar.simulatoralive.n...ic_system.html

This is actually a very ancient version of the internal guts of how it used to work. The current version is several generations down the road and I'm not sure where my notes on that are at the moment. I know I built the newest versions in GCS and then re-worded the wiki accordingly. Fatigue Magery, for instance, is radically different.

BTW, Islands of War has a new URL (islandsofwar.simulatoralive.net). Wikispaces stopped supporting non-educational wikis a while back.

Also, I've got class+level lenses built for drag and drop character creation, here, for the pathfinder people. You'll want the zip file at the end of the page, plus GCS. I'm told by one of my players that it mimics pathfinder very well, despite the fact that I was actually mimicking 2nd edition AD&D.

Islands of War is my fantasy campaign setting for GURPS. It includes Adventures.

Have trouble drawing dungeon maps? Try Inkscape and my Dungeon Template.

I'm building a video game.

Last edited by simulatoralive; 05-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.
simulatoralive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
TheCrusader

I checked your system and I really like it very much!

You put a lot of work into this and its by far the best D&D / Pathfinder system for Gurps IMHO.

I've seen that you also converted DF to it, which is amazing (as I dont like the standard magic system as well for a variety of reasons).

Do you have any plans to make conversions for the newer DF books also (like summoners)?

Best
Crusader
TheCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic as powers