Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Plant Growth via Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Canonically, neither Control nor Create works on living matter. I pushed the point a bit in Chinese Elemental Powers, where I built Commanding Wood on the Control advantage—but it could reshape wood but not make it grow. I had perks that allowed willing a seed to germinate or irrigating plants, but not a direct "growth of plants" effect.

Powers recommends Affliction with Advantage, Growth and Accessibility: Only on plants. But making it permanent is a +150% modifier, which is expensive.

Bill Stoddard
Well Pyramid has a couple of Control Plants which is another cannonical source.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well Pyramid has a couple of Control Plants which is another cannonical source.
I don't consider Pyramid articles canonical, not even mine, because it's not obligatory for Kromm or PK to check their legality.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

I haven't heard any reason why nearly everyone's ignoring the canon Leech: Steal youth.
A limitation: only usable on plants would be all one needs.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I haven't heard any reason why nearly everyone's ignoring the canon Leech: Steal youth.
A limitation: only usable on plants would be all one needs.
Leech does things I don't want it to do in the end result but maybe it is right for the Plant Growth spell... except even there the mage doesn't gain anything internally from the spell (which Leech: Steal Youth would do... in the making the mage younger). What I'm going for is an effect that increases the size of the plants. Control Plant Growth as a 10 point control power does that for me for what I'm going for... but if you want I'd also love to see a powers based version of Plant Growth: so how would you build that from Leech?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Control does explicitly forbid Plants as possible material, but you could always do Control Time with the Limitation Plants Only....
Quote:
Canonically, neither Control nor Create works on living matter. I pushed the point a bit in Chinese Elemental Powers, where I built Commanding Wood on the Control advantage—but it could reshape wood but not make it grow. I had perks that allowed willing a seed to germinate or irrigating plants, but not a direct "growth of plants" effect.

In GURPS Powers it does, yes. But my article "A Song of Many Worlds" has a modifier called "Vital Manipulation" which explicitly allows this. It's basically a form of Cosmic wrapped up in a new, more detailed shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I like Unaging (Age Control, +20%; Halt Aging, +80%) which is RAW but slow.
I think another +20% for each *10 is reasonable.
+60% for *1000 gives you a years growth in 8 hours for [36]
+100% for *100,000 gives you a years growth in just over 5 minutes for [42]

Except on short lifespan critters like bugs and germs that is not much of an attack and no worse then Leach with Aging. I would say nutrition is produced by the effect to simplify things and to avoid munchkin starvation attacks.
That does seem reasonable, yes.

Quote:
I don't consider Pyramid articles canonical, not even mine, because it's not obligatory for Kromm or PK to check their legality.
Ummm. That's not true. You may hold that opinion of course, but the Line Editor doesn't agree with you. For the record, PK checks just about every article there is (including their legality as you put it). And I know he checked mine for sure because we discussed it over email several times.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #16
nerdvana

So, the answer I have locked in onto (as a GM) is "Control Plant Growth" where "Plant Growth" is the category the power can control (nothing but growth of plants which are not typically handled as characters anyway). This would require Vital Manipulation (-0% due to it only affecting a vital process) and intrinsically excludes sentient plants - any plant with a IQ greater than 0 could not be affected by this power. I am pricing this at 10 points per level because Control Plants is a 20 points per level Control category. Growth Only and Regression Only are special limitations you can apply to this power, each at -50%, an denies access to regression of plant growth or plant growth respectively.

Each level of Control Plant Growth increases the size of a plant by 10% and it only works on plants that fall within the weight range dictated by the Control advantage

Naturally, this can be modified further for specific uses.

Last edited by nerdvana; 11-04-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
the_matrix_walker

How would "Control Plants" work for growth? I'm confused by this approach. What would the (per level) effects be?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
How would "Control Plants" work for growth? I'm confused by this approach. What would the (per level) effects be?
"Control Plants" would with the finagling Ghostdancer wrote up in post #7 of this thread.

"Control Plant Growth" (which I proposed above) is different. I should have included the +10% size per level which I guess I figured was assumed with post #7 in the history.

EDIT: Updated post #16 to reflect what a level does.

Last edited by nerdvana; 11-04-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
wellspring

Speaking of Pyramid (or follow-on supplements for Sorcery)...

Will any of this forum discussion have IP implications if PK starts writing up spells like this for publication? That is, say we come up with an answer for Plant Growth. Can PK use that as written or does it become a sticky wicket with copyright?

I'm lurking these conversations with great interest, but it occurred to me that we might be unintentionally throwing a wrench into the works.

(I say this because on some other companies forums, fan rules and implementations of existing rules are restricted to forums where writers aren't permitted to browse. The idea is that some fan might file a lawsuit because the published version of Control Asparagus looks similar to the idea they posted in the fan forums a few years before.)
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
Varyon

wellspring, I replied to you in the other thread. You may want to send a request to the moderators that your post be moved to that one as well (and mods, if you do that, please feel free to delete this post).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic as powers