Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Stating Eglentine Price and Company!

Basically, I might have a chance to run a game with five players playing the characters of the Disney Film "Bednobs and Broomsticks." The campaign would be set a few months later. The youngest boy still has the Magic Bednod and Emelius and the kids have picked up Magery-0 and a few low level spells. Miss Price is Magery-5, and Cosmic Creepers is still a major threat to live and limb.

What does the GURPS hivemind think the stats of these characters at the end of the film were? Is Cosmic Creepers a threat or a menace? Would the Bookman be a good foe?

Thank-you all. I post useful links later.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Default Re: Stating Eglentine Price and Company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Basically, I might have a chance to run a game with five players playing the characters of the Disney Film "Bednobs and Broomsticks." The campaign would be set a few months later. The youngest boy still has the Magic Bednod and Emelius and the kids have picked up Magery-0 and a few low level spells. Miss Price is Magery-5, and Cosmic Creepers is still a major threat to live and limb.

What does the GURPS hivemind think the stats of these characters at the end of the film were? Is Cosmic Creepers a threat or a menace? Would the Bookman be a good foe?

Thank-you all. I post useful links later.
I prefer the original books which bear very little resemblance to the enjoyable Disney movie.

In the books, Dr Brown lived in London of the 17th century. Ms. Price remained with him in the 17th century and returned the children to the 20th century. (And the trip to the island was nowhere near as amusing, in fact it was rather scary and did not involve cute cartoon animals at all.)

In the books, Ms Price had a nice selection of Witchly powers, enough to out-perform a shaman in that Pacific island. (Oh, and as a minor detail, the incantation used in the movie was a simple Detect Magic spell in the book.) And the kids still had the Bedknob, plus the magic books and notes that Ms Price left in her abandoned home.

You can get a copy of the two novels from Amazon, just make sure you get the ones written by Mary Norton, and not the Disney movie novelization.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
dcarson

They have a omnibus kindle edition for $5.

Of course she also acquired a curse that meant when she was older she kept stumbling into murders.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
I prefer the original books which bear very little resemblance to the enjoyable Disney movie.

In the books, Dr Brown lived in London of the 17th century. Ms. Price remained with him in the 17th century and returned the children to the 20th century. (And the trip to the island was nowhere near as amusing, in fact it was rather scary and did not involve cute cartoon animals at all.)

In the books, Ms Price had a nice selection of Witchly powers, enough to out-perform a shaman in that Pacific island. (Oh, and as a minor detail, the incantation used in the movie was a simple Detect Magic spell in the book.) And the kids still had the Bedknob, plus the magic books and notes that Ms Price left in her abandoned home.

You can get a copy of the two novels from Amazon, just make sure you get the ones written by Mary Norton, and not the Disney movie novelization.
I've read and enjoyed those books and the Disney novelization of the film ( which was good and vivid enough to linger in the mind as much as the film ). We want the movie characters.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
They have a omnibus kindle edition for $5.

Of course she also acquired a curse that meant when she was older she kept stumbling into murders.
But she'd moved to America and changed her name by then.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Astromancer

Starting with Miss Price. In the film she seems physically capable. I'd give her DX and HT 12. Lansbury is a skilled dancer and preformer, and she always moves well. Certainly Miss Price is shown as able bodied. I feel Miss Price should get IQ 13. Fourteen would be too much, she's very sharp and quick but she's not a major intellectual. As a powerful witch she has to be both very smart, strong willed, and gifted. I think a GURPS IQ of 13 with high levels of Magery and Strong Will covers this.

I think Lansbury is definitely Attractive and hasCharisma. It's implied in the film that a talent for music helps one to perform magic in the modern world. Eglentine should have both Voice and a level of musical talent.

Ancora Imparo