Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #21
ecz

Default Re: Interviewing the Fans #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
How did you use TFT, back in the day? Stand-alone combat games, combat module for other RPGs, or a full RPG system of its own?
It was our first RPG system. Never considered any other use. We were thirsty for role-playing games
Old 06-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #22
tomc

We always played it as an RPG.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #23
tbeard1999

I started my wargaming career in 1978-79* with Ogre/GEV. Since I was in junior high at the time, Microgames were all I could afford. So I consumed a steady diet of Microgames. In short order, I bought Olympica, Warp War, and Ice War.

Then in 1979-80, a buddy bought Melee and showed it to me. For some reason, I found the individual weapons counters evocative. I soon bought a copy...except I accidentally bought Death Test instead. Eventually I bought Melee and later Wizard. We played them as arena games. Then I heard about this game called Dungeons and Dragons. I recall thinking after my first D&D game that D&D was like a complicated version of Death Test.

I tried a number of ways to use Melee with AD&D, but teenaged AD&D players in my school were utterly hidebound. Then ITL came out. I bought Advanced Melee. Then Advanced Wizard. I think that ITL might have been released last.

It took my local game store awhile to receive ITL, so I prepared to start an AD&D campaign using Advanced Melee as a combat system. A sorta proto-D&D 3.0, I suppose.

But then I got ITL and scrapped the AD&D variant before launch. I started the first of MANY TFT campaigns.

*My early gaming memories are indexed by the school year, not the calendar year. I got Ogre/GEV when in 8th grade, so it was 1978-79.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #24
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Please, please, please, Steve -- give us a 14-hex dragon!!!!! Pretty please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Let's see...

4 hex is 1:2:1
7 hex is 1:2:1:2:1
9 hex should be 1:2:3:2:1...
14 would be 1:2:3:2:3:2:1

Yeah, those would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
there must be a 14 hex dragon!
Now we're talkin'! :D

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #25
Random Goblin

My dad (David Deitrick, who did some illustration for Megagaming back in the day) used Melee as a base generic system for every game he ran when I was a kid in the 80's. (Seriously, everything--fantasy, Star Trek, DC super heroes--if he were to run a game today, it is still what he would use. He is an old dog and sees no need to learn new tricks at this point.)

I caught the bug and started using Melee when I was pretty little, maybe 8 years old, and as is typical for little kids I think, I did a lot more playing with RPGs than actual playing RPGs. I came up with Melee stats for probably every 25mm miniature I owned (I had a pretty good collection since my dad was way into minis and I got all of his cast-offs) for whatever weird scenario my kid-brain had cooked up that day. Most of the time I don't even think I realized I was using Melee per se--to me, "roleplaying games" just meant you had a miniature, it has an ST, a DX and an IQ, damage was done to ST and task resolution was 3d6 roll-under.

Like I said, I don't actually remember playing a lot, but I did spend a lot of time thinking about playing and imagining the scenarios I wanted to run and making up stats for them.

In 5th grade, my friend and I started trying to stat up the entire ancient world--Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, everyone, using Melee (he, of course, had no idea what Melee was; it was just the system I had in my head and we used it, usually with insane attribute bloat). We came up with pages and pages of stats for historical figures and their armies before the project fizzled out and we were doing something else.

Later on, when I started writing my own RPGs, they were really all re-skins of Melee (2-3 stats, all 3d6 roll-under). The one I remember the most was about different bugs and insects fighting in arena combat. I came up with all of these teams for different kinds of bugs, and gave them all team names and colors and logos and everything. As usual, I'm not sure I ever even actually played this thing, but I definitely spent weeks working on it.

Eventually I moved on to other, in-print RPGs my friends were playing (the usual 90's garbage), but like I said in the other interview question, childhood gaming for me was all about Melee.

-Conrad Deitrick

Last edited by Random Goblin; 06-12-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Random Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #26
Groknard

We started off in late '77 with Holmes D&D and quickly moved to AD&D as the books and adventures were released. But we were kids winging it, never really grasping the rules and avoiding the complexity. By summer of '78, we discovered Metagaming and got Ogre, subscribed to The Space Gamer and bought Melee. I think Easter break was spent playing every combination of arena combat with Melee we could squeeze in, converting a bunch of monsters from the TSR Monster Manual.

By the time Wizard came out, we went all in and swapped in all the TFT combat and most of the character and conflict rules into our "D&D" games. Ended up doing much the same with Traveller on a character/combat level. It was probably my fault. After that, I could almost never be bothered to learn new systems, I was happy with TFT. I got those wonderful Heritage "Crypt of the Sorcerer" and "Caverns of Doom" sets, painted those up, and felt that the TFT rules were much better for minis than whatever TSR or anyone else was offering. We didn't hesitate to pilfer from other games coming out (I had a soft spot for lots of SPI's DragonQuest).

By the time ITL, AM and AW came out, we were pretty much all in. If a TFT rule or concept covered it and covered it better, that was our go-to. I suspect it would have been different if we had come to the complete game in 1980, but starting when we did made mixing it up part of the fun.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:04 AM   #27
Chris Rice

We started with Holmes Basic D&D in the late 70's and quickly moved onto Advanced. However, the rules systems used in D&D were clumsy, often illogical and the emphasis on experience points and magic weapons led to too much power gaming for my tastes.

I tried the other RPGs available at the time but they all had their problems and were unsatisfying in some way. At the same time, one of our group brought Melee back from London and we'd run it as a pure skirmish board game which we all enjoyed. It was simple, but solved most of the problems that contemporary RPG combat systems suffered from.

As soon as the Advanced Wizard/Melee and ITL books came out I snapped them up and never looked back. I'm not a "technical" GM and don't want to spend my time looking up rules and discussing them with players - I watched too many turgid RPG sessions which were more like an accountants board meeting - all discussion about rules and stats and no action or story.

As a GM, TFT allowed me to get on with the action. It was intuitive (once you grasped the basics) and the rules didn't get in the way of play. If you didn't want to play it with hexes and figures you didn't have to and we often played it as pure theatre of the mind.

Another poster mentioned how his father readily adapted the system for other genres and I did this too; from Sci-Fi to Wild West and Cthulhu. I even adapted it for a Runequest Game and have to say it worked superbly.

The simple mechanics are so ingrained in me you could probably ask me to run an on-the-fly game in any genre of your choice and I could do it with a few minutes preparation, a notepad and pen and a handful of dice!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #28
JLV

/\ THIS /\

This is precisely what I experienced with the other RPGs out there -- "...too many turgid RPG sessions which were more like an accountants board meeting..." describes them EXACTLY.

Last edited by JLV; 06-13-2018 at 02:20 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
...I watched too many turgid RPG sessions which were more like an accountants board meeting - all discussion about rules and stats and no action or story.
JLV, I am with you on this. When I read that, it summed up - in one sentence - what I had witnessed so many times at the tables at our local game store back in the day. I would stand off to the side and observe, with horrified curiosity, people doing just what our friend Chris described - and, exactly as he described it.

Chris, you express some pretty brilliant observations on here, but *this* one is your most brilliant to date.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-13-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #30
schoon

When I first started, it was gladitorial combat - I was thrilled that you could create a fighter in seconds and still have differentiation between fighting styles.

However, the longer I continued to play, the more hungry I became for a bigger story, and as the line expanded, I got the tools to do so with Quests and Advanced rule books.

...and before I knew it, it was an RPG that I was thrilled to have!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote