Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #21
Phil Masters

Default Re: Sinbad the Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Shouldn't he have more Luck?
Possibly. He's an action movie character, and those can always use more Luck. He probably always operates in games that permit spending points to buy successes, and keeps a reserve to use for that.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I'd think that it should be close to the story-inspired version in that respect. Maybe Extraordinary Luck, if not Serendipity (which does look like it might be out of place).
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Phil Masters

Hollywood heroes are supposed to at least look like they're triumphing through their own superiority. Having too much fall into their laps, as with Serendipity, looks off.

Which said, a character like Hollywood Sinbad, who gets to fight a lot of giant monsters while running round bare-chested, can't afford to miss many defence rolls. So higher levels of Luck might be excused.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Hollywood heroes are supposed to at least look like they're triumphing through their own superiority. Having too much fall into their laps, as with Serendipity, looks off.

Which said, a character like Hollywood Sinbad, who gets to fight a lot of giant monsters while running round bare-chested, can't afford to miss many defence rolls. So higher levels of Luck might be excused.
Hmm. What would be the value of a limitation on Luck for 'only things that can be explained by some sort of the character's own superiority'? So rerolled defence rolls and reaction rolls, but not random loot tables or sniper's attack rolls in case of a successful ambush? Somewhere between -10ish and -20ish %?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
There's a lot of finding of improvised weapons. Even in places like a Roc's nest. Things to grab at the very last moment of falling too. Serendipity has a lot of possibilities beyond "I find the McGuffin by accident" (though that happens too).
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #26
Anders

So some sort of Aspected Serendipity? We can work with that. "Weapons only" would be worth... -30% -40%?

Or he could have astronomical levels in Scrounging. Or the GM's wife/husband in a dark room somewhere.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
That sounds like you're overestimating what vanilla Serendipity will give you. It will give you a convenient outcropping to grab as you are tossed from a height, or a ramp you can jump your car from. or guarantee that there will be something you can use to improvise a weapon, or give you a parking place in New York.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So some sort of Aspected Serendipity? We can work with that. "Weapons only" would be worth... -30% -40%?

Or he could have astronomical levels in Scrounging. Or the GM's wife/husband in a dark room somewhere.
He already can use Wildcard points from Sword! as Player Guidance in order to just find a sword.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #29
Phil Masters

Just by way of a footnote - the book that triggered my creation of this thread is now available in digital form on Warehouse23:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/sinbad-the-sailor

I guess that I should do mass combat stats for The Wars of Atlantis some time...
Old 07-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #30
jason taylor

Quote:
He has both luck and Jinxed. He always survives and brings back tons of treasure and none of his companions do. If I was an investigator I might be rather suspicious.

Tags
osprey books, osprey legends, sinbad, sinbad the sailor