Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Dealing with Demons

I don't feel like the XP-derived lesser wishes have to be explained as coming from anything in particular. They are the game's 'hero points'. And, I would say, a great addition to the game.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #12
Shadekeep

That's fine too, if folks want to recast them as something other than wishes. Frankly I think that makes more sense anyway. And what Skarg posted was along the same lines as an alternate approach I was thinking of (justifying the wish as a remarkable action by the player rather than a true wish), and what others have added as well.

The "wish" nomenclature is a bit murky anyway in the TFT world, as it sort of functions in the way most people think of wishes, but also it doesn't. And it has these greater/lesser tiers, which further muddy the waters. Better overall to make lesser wishes something else, like the 'hero points' TippetsTX suggests.

My demon-based suggestion was simply an attempt at keeping wishes within the demon-proscribed framework. ^_^
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't feel like the XP-derived lesser wishes have to be explained as coming from anything in particular. They are the game's 'hero points'. And, I would say, a great addition to the game.
Agreed, but I think calling them 'lesser wishes' creates a bit of confusion since ITL page 143 specifically states that "...all wishes originally come from one source: demons".
Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
My demon-based suggestion was simply an attempt at keeping wishes within the demon-proscribed framework. ^_^
Which is a completely reasonable solution as well for those who want to maintain the demonic dependency for all wishes.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
hcobb

Can we call lesser wishes "Favors" and leave it unclear as to favors from whom?
Old 11-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #16
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can we call lesser wishes "Favors" and leave it unclear as to favors from whom?
TBH, since lesser wishes are purchased using XP, I don't like the idea of the source being anything other that the character himself... hence my preference for calling them 'hero points', 'fate tokens' or something similar.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #17
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
TBH, since lesser wishes are purchased using XP, I don't like the idea of the source being anything other that the character himself... hence my preference for calling them 'hero points', 'fate tokens' or something similar.
I like "hero points". "Legendary feats" is another term I've seen bandied about that seems appropriate.

"Favours" actually has a demonic connotation for me, as that is what we often call boons garnered from true demons. "Wishes" to me still connotes djinn, fae, kami, and other more morally ambiguous entities.

I wish that true wishes had remained rare things and these lesser XP-wishes were just called something else. [rolls critical failure] Awww...
Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
hcobb

Given what they're used for, just call them Save Points.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #19
TippetsTX

Circling back to our original topic... does anyone have special requirements for characters interacting with demons? Knowledge of their 'true name' for example?

Last edited by TippetsTX; 11-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #20
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Circling back to our original topic... does anyone have special requirements for characters interacting with demons? Knowledge of their 'true name' for example?
In my campaign where I used demons from the grimoires I mentioned earlier, the player characters had to know the corresponding sigil needed to summon a specific (greater) demon. Otherwise they could only summon one of the lower nameless (lesser) demons. They could obtain the sigil by finding/buying one of the books in-game, or learning it from a diabolist.

Other actions were pertinent to the demon in question. Some could be made more agreeable by being given specific offerings while summoned. Others responded favourably to flattery, music, dancers, or more lascivious displays.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 11-16-2018 at 07:18 PM.