Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #21
smurf
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Power Ups suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I love you guys, but this is not helping the "GURPS is too mathy" criticisms.
I don't think that's true. How strong would you have to be to pull nails out of a wall like in Bladerunner? Or how strong and tough do you have to be to push nails into a wall?

Maybe this more for the Super hero feats of action.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I don't think that's true. How strong would you have to be to pull nails out of a wall like in Bladerunner? Or how strong and tough do you have to be to push nails into a wall?

Maybe this more for the Super hero feats of action.
Sure, but it might be better not to rate such feats in Newtons.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
It will work better if you specify how much Basic Lift is needed, maybe.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Sure, but it might be better not to rate such feats in Newtons.
The book might not need to rate it in newtons, but that's a very good way for the author to look at it behind the scenes to keep their rules consistent.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Me, I'd like to see LogST get its own Power-Up book, so it can be addressed fully.
If this would be expanding on "Knowing Your Own Strength" from Pyramid with the modified ST charts, I'd like rules on using the Fractional Damage intended for tiny creatures with all creatures. Add 10, divide by 10 doesn't favor damage for high ST beings (which is fine, since it was intended for those with less than ST 7) so you might need to add 20, add 30, etc.

Less averaged damage for higher amounts of dice by substituting multiplyers (perhaps 2d/10+1d×M format resembling the 3d6 used for skills) format table for ST (or rules to modify any existing damage) would also be great.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Sort of Newtons of Force and ST equivalents?

What force was used on a wheel nut and what level of ST does TK have to be to undo it?
No, just things like "this is how many dice of damage these kinds of things cause", "this is now much DR is equivalent to this material", "here's the ST of your average bulldozer", those sorts of things.

It's mostly for superhero games and other times PCs are going to be making extensive use of Powers.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
No, just things like "this is how many dice of damage these kinds of things cause", "this is now much DR is equivalent to this material", "here's the ST of your average bulldozer", those sorts of things.

It's mostly for superhero games and other times PCs are going to be making extensive use of Powers.
I can see the utility for a certain kind of game, but it wouldn't be much more than a book crammed with fairly dry tables.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #28
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
I love you guys, but this is not helping the "GURPS is too mathy" criticisms.
Me, I loves maths. But, I would consider this book, like everything in GURPS as optional. I use LogST for supers, but not for normal games.

Quote:
Sort of Newtons of Force and ST equivalents?

What force was used on a wheel nut and what level of ST does TK have to be to undo it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It will work better if you specify how much Basic Lift is needed, maybe.
I'm with Bill on this one, I think that it would be better to avoid actual newtons and go with a number that actually exists in the game itself, to keep things consistent. Honestly, I think the key behind fixing LogST is to look at BL and not ST for the numbers we need to use as the basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If this would be expanding on "Knowing Your Own Strength" from Pyramid with the modified ST charts, I'd like rules on using the Fractional Damage intended for tiny creatures with all creatures. Add 10, divide by 10 doesn't favor damage for high ST beings (which is fine, since it was intended for those with less than ST 7) so you might need to add 20, add 30, etc.
Yes. Ideally, it would be an expansion of the LogST rules from "Knowing Your Own Strength."

I'll be honest, the very few times I ever did a game where the PCs were going to be having "fractional" ST, I just re-centered the norm to be the creature they were.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #29
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
I can see the utility for a certain kind of game, but it wouldn't be much more than a book crammed with fairly dry tables.
That's fine. GURPS Basic is just a daunting product to go looking up how much damage is "too much".
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I don't know if this would be a Power-Up, but I could go for a GURPS Benchmarks product that collected various Real World ratings in GURPS terms in one convenient place so that if I want to know what "as powerful as a tank" means I don't have to have memorized which book has tank stats in it.
'As powerful as a tank' is a nearly meaningless expression, since you have to define what you mean by 'powerful' and what tank you're talking about, and is likely to be unsatisfying anyway because expressions like that are rarely intended to be literal in the first place.