Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Ubiquitous

Default Rules for deflecting or redirecting attacks, and weapon control when grappled?

While working on a ninja-type character, a thought occured to me; I'm not sure how to model weapon grapples in GURPS. I mean, I know how to, a grapple check at -(3-5) for the weapon, but once you have it, what can you do with it?

Imagine these two scenarios, in a slightly-cinematic campaign;

-Slick Willie sneaks up behind Goon A, and dashes over from behind to grapple the arm Goon A has a gun in. Goon B whirls at this development, at which point Eddie used Goon A's gun-arm to shoot Goon B. How does Eddie do this? Attack roll at -2, influenced by Goon A's resistance? Do I do multiple checks, or just check to see if Goon A can escape instead of worrying about that and his struggling with the gun?

^What if Goon A was quick on the draw, but had his gun parried by Willie? What'd be the penalty for aiming it in the general direction of Goon B (close enough for a Hitting The Wrong Target check, anyway)? What would a good penalty be for deliberately deflecting it towards Goon B? I assume -6 (-4 for not using gun yourself/blunt actions and -2 for off-side attack).

-Action Jackson is facing down Red Olaf, while he's wearing one of those trauma-plated Assault Vests. With Olaf wielding an assault rifle (delicious Russian AK), Slim decided to pull the weapon right into himself (since even at 5d+1, nothing but a Critical Hit can get through that sweet DR 31+. For a lower-tech example, imagine a PC with gauntlets hugging a sword to his armor). How would holding the weapon into himself work with the Grapple, and Olaf's attack? Would he be able to attack and take advantage of RoF bonii to hit anyway, or would his weapon be truly 'stuck' as long as the grapple was enacted, and at the mercy of where Action Jackson pointed it? Could you parry a weapon in close-combat into another enemy reliably, or would that be at a penalty similar to above?

I'd appreciate some input, I'm sure some of you've considered something in this ballpark before. Thanks!
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Ts_

Default Re: Rules for deflecting or redirecting attacks, and weapon control when grappled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
-Slick Willie sneaks up behind Goon A, and dashes over from behind to grapple the arm Goon A has a gun in. Goon B whirls at this development, at which point Eddie used Goon A's gun-arm to shoot Goon B. How does Eddie do this? Attack roll at -2, influenced by Goon A's resistance? Do I do multiple checks, or just check to see if Goon A can escape instead of worrying about that and his struggling with the gun?
Have you checked Proxy Fighting (MA 132)? This is for cinematic & silly games. Once the grapple has succeeded, the grappler can do his usual attacks & defenses at -4 or victim's ST/2 (rounded up), whichever is worse. This actually just applies to grappling the entire body and using the victim as a puppet, but I guess you could restrict it to just the arm (and arm ST) and thereby make it a bit more realistic than proxy judo ...

The resistance of the goon doesn't figure into it, by the way, except when he breaks free. So the penalty is essential infinite or the ST/2 from above, but nothing in between.

Anyway, this is the closest I could think of.
Regards, Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote