Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Dungeon Fantasy Dungeon Planner

These twisted tunnels
Reflect the architecture
Of a twisted mind
— Jag Fairchild
A dungeon is only as good as its planning. You could wing it . . . but getting that Genuine Old-School Feel™ calls for a map full of tunnels and chambers, walls peppered with doors (some of them secret), all of it keyed to monsters, traps, treasures, and tricky puzzles. The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game includes all the forms you need, and even blank maps, but these are scattered across multiple books, which means a lot of printing and collating.

Dungeon Fantasy Dungeon Planner offers an alternative: an all-in-one notebook with everything collected in one place and placed in a sensible order. It includes:
  • one blank dungeon map (43 hexes × 34 hexes)
  • one Adventure Planning Form (Exploits, p. 109)
  • one room index keyed to the room maps
  • one History form with space for general notes unrelated to specific dungeon areas
  • 16 blank room maps (16 hexes × 13 hexes)
  • 16 expanded Room Record Sheets (Exploits, p. 112), one opposite each room map
  • three pairs of Wandering Monsters and Random Traps tables (Exploits, p. 111)
  • three sets of three monster cards (Monsters, p. 64) for creatures unique to your dungeon
  • two sets of three traps cards (Monsters, p. 64) for pitfalls designed for this adventure
  • three full pages to record notes as the adventure progresses
Not big enough? Do the delver thing and use more – say, one Dungeon Planner per level! No matter how many you use, it's a lot tidier than a binder stuffed with notes, and gives you a nice, neat "module" to exchange with other GMs. Oh, and it uses the same form factor as the core rulebooks, so yes, it'll fit in the box.

Print: https://www.amazon.com/dp/155634905X/ ($8.95)
PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG31-1011 ($2.95)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Dungeon Planner

It won't fit in my DFRPG box...that is already stuffed with DFRPG supplements...
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:17 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post

It won't fit in my DFRPG box...that is already stuffed with DFRPG supplements...
Thank you!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
We're gonna need a bigger box.

Bought it and looked at it. Looks useful.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
tbone

I left a few comments earlier in this thread. Short version: Simple but nifty and inexpensive product.

I imagine a lot of thought went into what to include or leave out. Should any other sort of form have been included? I suppose there could be a dedicated page to recap all the Rewards, as in the Rat book, but it doesn't seem particularly needed to me . . . The only other thing that comes to my mind is a form for key NPCs: something far shorter than a 4- or 2-page PC form, but with more space than a monster card. Say, a couple of NPC pages, with two big "cards" per page.

(That said, some dungeons won't have any key NPCs, of course, while others will have a dozen, so I can understand a suggestion of "just use the Notes pages".)

Then there's the idea I noted in the other thread: As the product is a journal, I think it'd be nice to see a dedicated space on the front cover to fill in the dungeon name (like the space adorning p. 2). Pretty unnecessary if you're just filling out one journal, but a GM filling out several will want to make them identifiable.

And here's a final pie-in-the-sky thought. It'd be kind of fun to see SJG sell filled-out Dungeon Planner journals - i.e., ready-to-play mini dungeons using the Planner format. Maybe that'd be a good area for new DFRPG authors to get some experience. Or a fun way to hold a "submit a dungeon" contest, with the winning submission becoming a product?

No particular reason why SJG should use the Planner format to publish dungeons. Just struck me as an interesting (?) idea.

Anyway. It's a good product to spur the creation process. I'll go for the Amazon POD version soon.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Not big enough? Do the delver thing and use more – say, one Dungeon Planner per level! No matter how many you use, it's a lot tidier than a binder stuffed with notes, and gives you a nice, neat "module" to exchange with other GMs.
Any chance of the PDF being form-fillable? A lot of folks are away from the printer nowadays.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Any chance of the PDF being form-fillable? A lot of folks are away from the printer nowadays.
Even if you have a printer available I can't read anything I wrote if it's been a day or so and I don't remember it without reading half of it. I need to be able to type the info.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
It'd be kind of fun to see SJG sell filled-out Dungeon Planner journals - i.e., ready-to-play mini dungeons using the Planner format.
One of my first thoughts when the planner came out was that it might be fun to try to work up a location in that format.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:13 AM   #9
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
There are plenty of free or inexpensive pdf software to allow you to add form fillable features yourself.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote