Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: GURPS Star Trek (DS9 era)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
DS9 and Voyager both had photon torpedos on-screen. The "photonic" part is just a warhead attached to a missile. Calling it a torpedo is just a tradition from the days of naval battles.
I didn't really watch DS9 or Voyager ... to be fair, I haven't watched much TNG, either, except when catching it on Spike while channel-flipping ... so I was guessing about the tech. Glad to know it was still a physical object. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #22
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Good point about the shows being inconsistent in their portrayal of damage. And I agree that 3d-6d is appropriate for small arms. So I guess my main question is why the rate of fire is only 1, when GURPS generally makes continuous-beam lasers RoF 10. That itself could justify some of the inconsistencies seen in the show, since getting shot could mean anything from 1-10 actual hits. Including high and low damage rolls, and occasional criticals, this could cover the full spectrum of slight injury to complete disintegration.
There was a nice close-up scene of Riker adjusting the output of his phaser pistol. On setting 1, it only caused mild pain. On 2, it was at least 1 point of injury. On 10, it was full disintegration. So, some of the "inconsistency" is just that somebody left their phaser on a different setting, while those disintegrations were intentionally set to 10.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #23
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
That's certainly what I did in my game, not just for the reasons you cite, but also because I like the idea of a devouring laser beams scything across a group of baddies or carving open a door.

(I used field-jacketed X-ray lasers and Plasma weapons, if you're interested)
I use primarily neural weapon and laser technology. My TOS-era Federation phasers have several different settings. Depending on the setting – stun, heat, disruption, disintegrate – they may have options like: wide been mode, rates of fire up to 10; the type-II hand phaser even has a cutting torch setting.

CaelibDarkstone, you might also want to mine my website for ideas for species and occupational template ideas/options as well.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 10-29-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: several minor changes
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelibDarkstone View Post
Racial Templates

Vulcan
25 points
Advantages: Telesend (touch-based -20%, melee attack reach 1 -25%, takes extra time 1 -10%) [11], Unfazeable [15]
Disadvantages: Quirk: Common Expression (“That is illogical”) [-1].
Allowed Traits: high IQ, high ST, Common Sense, Indomitable, Mind Probe or Mind Reading (with same limitations as Telesend), Mind Shield.
Recommended Disadvantages: No Sense of Humor, Killjoy.

Betazoid
25 points
Advantages: Empathy (sensitive) [5], Telesend (Racial -20%, Telepathic -10%) [21]
Disadvantages: Quirk (Sicknesses radically affect emotional state) [-1]
Allowed Traits: improved empathy, Telepathy Talent, Telepathic advantages (including buying off racial on telesend) as approved by GM.

Romulan
25 points
Attributes: IQ+1 [20]
Advantages:Unusual Background [5] (to represent ease of disguising as romulan)
Allowed Traits: high IQ, high ST, Common Sense, Mind Shield.

Joined Trill
25 points
Advantages: Racial Memory (Passive) [15], Reawakened [10]
Allowed Traits: Racial Memory (active), and Wild Talent (with any modifiers).

I know you're trying to keep Template costs down for whatever reason (and in 4e Templates don't really matter most of the time) but I think you may have gone to far in that direction.

Giving every Romulan +1 IQ but not every Vulcans seems odd. I'm pretty sure Vulcans have the higher average IQ for educational reasons if nothing else..

I'm pretty sure that Troi's limit to Empathy (though with astounding range) was due to her half-Betazoid status. Her mother was definitely a full telepath and her abilities were restrained only by the Betazed Ethics Code (which is probably a 5pt CoH).

I think joined Trill have the Active version of Racial Memory possibly even with some Enhancements.

Unless you're not giving PCs many pts all this won't matter since pretty much all PCs will be taking the optional higher powered versions. The real effect might be to limit NPCs of these races and I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
For shooting photon torpedoes, I'd probably go with Artillery (Guided Missiles). At least in the TOS-cast movies, photon torpedoes appear to be physical objects with source-programmable guidance systems; I don't think that'd change by the TNG/DS9 era.
In some of the scenes in the DS9 era you can see small photon torps hanging on pylons like air-to-air missiles from the small ships used by the Maquis.

"Photonic" is also just the warhead. Late in the DS( era you seem some upgraded "Quantum" warheads. Quark has intimated that he can get you some if you have enough latinum.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In some of the scenes in the DS9 era you can see small photon torps hanging on pylons like air-to-air missiles from the small ships used by the Maquis.

"Photonic" is also just the warhead. Late in the DS( era you seem some upgraded "Quantum" warheads. Quark has intimated that he can get you some if you have enough latinum.
The effects stay the same, while it's just the technobabble buzz words that change.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #27
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I think joined Trill have the Active version of Racial Memory possibly even with some Enhancements.
I'd say it's more that the slug has Photographic Memory, and takes its memory from host to host. After all, each slug can only recall its own life events, even if that does cover many hosts.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #28
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The effects stay the same, while it's just the technobabble buzz words that change.
The _special_ effects stay the same (glowing thing goes boom) but I would have it do more damage.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
I'd say it's more that the slug has Photographic Memory, and takes its memory from host to host. After all, each slug can only recall its own life events, even if that does cover many hosts.
Transferring hosts is very similar to Time Lords' "regenerating". They often radically change personalities but retain memory and general goals.

They don't need any enhanced memory to simply remember their own lives as realistic as it would be to lose decades or distort experiences after centuries of life.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
The _special_ effects stay the same (glowing thing goes boom) but I would have it do more damage.
But they're still just explode-y missiles no matter what you call them.

Tags
star trek