Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
naraht

Default Making Love to a Zombie

(An old favorite that I posted many years ago to the mailing list)
Under the "Disturbed, not dissonant" inset in the IN Superiors: Eli, the
following things are mentioned as being "a number of things which most
of them find contrary to the Word they serve and deeply unpleasant - or
even unthinkable."

1) Perversion of art to evil purposes.
2) Non-consensual sex. (Uncaring Sex is nearly as detested)
3) Failing to take responsibility for children
4) Preventing people from creating things

I'd suggest that the players finding Eli involved in anonymous sex would
be in that category, but given that Eli is a Mercurian Archangel, if he
used his resonance during the act, he'd probably know from his resonance
as much about the person than if he talked to them for several months.
Hmm.

All Eli's actions
are disturbed not dissonant
Tums for Dominic

Bring him to trial
He is acting like Andre
Creeped out servitors

When Eli is found,
making love to a zombie,
Dominic arrests.

Ultimate question
Strangest ever in heaven
"Can Zombies give consent?"

Defensive Argument-
"He found a creative use
of Rigor Mortis!"

Dominic insists
Eli be questioned about
reasons for actions.

"Fighting Saminga.
The black mass can be undone--
Orgasm returns soul!"

"Have you told Andre?"
"Yes, several months ago,
Lusties now helping"

Marc now chimes in
"This explains what Lilith said--
'Poor Lilim of Death'"

"'Clumsy Saminga'"
"'All Shal-Mari united'"
Her hints are now clear

Seraphim Council
supports Eli's actions, but
says keep us informed.

Eli's Cathedral--
"Homecoming for a father"
Weeping tears of joy

Party of Parties
*everyone* invited
Even the Judges

"Lusties may live,"
Eli instructs his Malakim
"only if helping"

Undead are grateful
When their souls return to them
--weird now for Andre.

Caring for Restored
*not* dissonant for lusties.
Asmodeus irked.

If Andre himself
were to restore an undead...
Cathedral of Love?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: Making Love to a Zombie

You have one sick imagination...I like it.

I'm not sure anonymous sex would be a problem for Eli, depending on the people involved and the motives.

Zombie sex though? Is consent even possible for the walking dead? And would you have a brain left afterwards? Come to think of it, assuming the orgasm ensouls the zombie (a stretch, but I can see it), would they feel remorse for having eaten their lover's brains, thus killing them?

Quite the rabbit-hole.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I'm not sure anonymous sex would be a problem for Eli, depending on the people involved and the motives.
http://stardancer.org/kherishdar2/st-cradle.html might be an interesting view on anonymous sex...

As for zombies... Well, not all of them eat brains. Some might have a Need for crayons instead. One hopes.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Azel

I could perhaps see liberating Mummies or Vampires by allowing true love and consenting sex to disconnect their soul from being bound in their corporeal vessel. However, zombies are usually just the corpse of a soul that has gone onto its reward. And since there is permanent canon uncertainty about how this is processed, but canon certainty that no Archangel or Prince can directly interfere with this process, it does beg the question where does this new soul come from.

At basic level it would forcibly create Saints (or Anti-Saints) by ripping the original soul from Heaven or Hell to be re-souled into the rotting corpse they just left (which would be a bit of a shock, I imagine). Further, if the soul already went to the higher heavens -- a layer beyond the knowledge, let alone intervention, of Archangels -- being re-souled would shatter most foundational understandings of the celestial realm. Suddenly corporeal forms, regardless of animus and its decisions, can be re-animated and then cajoled/enticed into forcibly reeling back in its animus.

Basically it inverts the whole premise of the Celestial sphere being prime (and I would contend, upend the Realism-based premise of the game). The game no longer is about a spiritual dimension greater than the physical, it's just an inconvenient weigh-station no one yet figured to circumvent. Reductio ad absurdum, not only does Death become meaningless (and rapidly negates Saminga), it further relegates Heaven and Hell, and any consequences for one's free will, into pointlessness. Why bother with anything? Just hit the reset button.

So how exactly are you adjudicating this? What are the greater ramifications of your decision upon a setting? It would make a great "win" condition for the universe to fall into the dominion of a new Prince of Sloth. But other than that, what purpose does it serve? Is there a storied way to avoid this manner of unravelled setting progression?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
JCD

Zombie love is sick, but one of my PCs has a committable relationship with a mummy which...pretty much gets looks of askance from everyone who knows about it. All it takes is understanding, communication, the Song of Unlife, a case of KY and borderline insanity...
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
IHowever, zombies are usually just the corpse of a soul that has gone onto its reward.
There are two types of Zombie, I think. Those who are created from a Corpse whose soul has gone on and those that are the failure of a Mummy and/or Vampire creation. The ones that I meant were of Type 2. Is there anything Canon indicating that Type 1 significantly outnumber Type 2?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
There are two types of Zombie, I think. Those who are created from a Corpse whose soul has gone on and those that are the failure of a Mummy and/or Vampire creation. The ones that I meant were of Type 2. Is there anything Canon indicating that Type 1 significantly outnumber Type 2?
Not in canon, but consider this:

It takes a) a person b) who knows about the ritual of Mummyhood, c) who actually WANTS to do it d) and knows either the ritual or someone who knows the ritual e) and is willing to do it for the person at f) a cost they are willing to pay g) and the ritual has to have a critical failure h) and the person doing the ritual doesn't just kill the person out of hand.

What does it take for Type 1? A Samingan with an appropriate attunement and a dead body.

I think it's clear which is easier then the other.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Doesn't really matter -- in canon, the soul is gone either way. Corporeal Player's Guide, p. 92:

Unlike other undead, zombis don't have a soul bound into their vessel. The soul of a corpse made into a zombi posthumously is long gone; someone who volunteers to become a mummy dies (and his soul disbands into the Symphony) if the ritual fails, leaving only a zombified corpse behind. (Emphasis mine.)

So one way or another, that zombi isn't a person anymore. It's just a walking body with some memories and a little ability to think.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Doesn't really matter -- in canon, the soul is gone either way. Corporeal Player's Guide, p. 92:

Unlike other undead, zombis don't have a soul bound into their vessel. The soul of a corpse made into a zombi posthumously is long gone; someone who volunteers to become a mummy dies (and his soul disbands into the Symphony) if the ritual fails, leaving only a zombified corpse behind. (Emphasis mine.)

So one way or another, that zombi isn't a person anymore. It's just a walking body with some memories and a little ability to think.
Isn't there an artifact of Saming's that zombis a living persons? Casket of Undeath or something like that...
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Isn't there an artifact of Saming's that zombis a living persons? Casket of Undeath or something like that...
Liber Reliquarium, p. 82, the Coffin of Undeath. It turns a dead body into a zombi; living mortals turn into vampires instead.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eli, undead