Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Mscdog

Default My son and are new to munchkin land. Need help

Some rules are confusing. For example - last game my son had three cards which increased a monsters strength by 25 points. Can he play all three on one turn? This doesn't seem right. Also the cards don't say play only once. So he played them every time I fought a monster. Is this right.
Mscdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: My son and are new to munchkin land. Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscdog View Post
Some rules are confusing. For example - last game my son had three cards which increased a monsters strength by 25 points. Can he play all three on one turn?
Yes.
Quote:
This doesn't seem right. Also the cards don't say play only once. So he played them every time I fought a monster. Is this right.
Cards, in general, once played don't go back into your hand. Monster Enhancers are played on a monster, and when that monster is defeated go into the discards with it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Mscdog

Thanks for the response. Then why do some cards say play only once and some do not. My son is now throwing a fit. Awesome.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Then why do some cards say play only once and some do not.
Some Items say "Useable once only" because otherwise Items are played to the table and give an ongoing bonus. Monster Enhancers aren't Items. Either way the card is only every played once. Under most normal circumstances they never go back to your hand.
Quote:
My son is now throwing a fit.
Um, tell him I told him to knock it off or he'll have to go to his room?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Mscdog

Ok. Sounds good. But am I correct to say that bonus cards stay in front of me and can use the repeatedly. Also if I help my son kill a monster do i get to give him all my points or just the points from one card.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Clipper

Here's how to determine if most cards stay in front of you or not:

If the card is an Item (i.e., it has a value in Gold Pieces including 'No Value'):
  • If the Item says "Usable once only" or tells you to discard it when using it, then it is used once and discarded
  • Otherwise it stays in play

If the card is not an Item:
  • If the card is a Race, Class, Hireling or any other special type of card discussed in the rules that says it stays in play, it stays in play
  • If the card has a permanent bonus to your character (such as Really Impressive Title), it stays in play
  • Otherwise, it is discarded after use

So yes, any Items or other cards that give you a permanent bonus listed at the top of the card stay in play.

When you are helping someone, you add your entire combat strength to theirs. You cannot give them partial support.

Last edited by Clipper; 09-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
chrismalenurse

It is your combat total PLUS his combat total vs the monster combat total.
chrismalenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Ok. Sounds good. But am I correct to say that bonus cards stay in front of me and can use the repeatedly.
Items (cards with a gold piece value or "No value" do, yes.
Quote:
Also if I help my son kill a monster do i get to give him all my points or just the points from one card.
When you help in combat, you add all of your combat strength (level plus bonuses) to the player side.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Items (cards with a gold piece value or "No value" do, yes.
Non-Item Treasures that give a persistent bonus like an Item also remain. From Munchkin that means Hireling and Really Impressive Title remain in play.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Then why do some cards say play only once and some do not. My son is now throwing a fit. Awesome.
From the standard set, almost all the cards in the Door deck follow the model of you play it, resolve its effects, then discard it. The most common exceptions from that deck are Races and Classes. Since Monster Enhancers affect a specific Monster, once that Monster is discarded, the Monster Enhancers go with it. This is actually stated in the rules in the first sentence of the last paragraph in the Combat section: "Discard the monster card, including any enhancers and one-shot items played[.]" Another section of the rules explains that cards in play can't go back into your hand, which is why some cards specifically break that rule.

Almost all non-Item cards from the Treasure deck follow the same model. The best way to determine if something is an Item or not is if it has a gold piece value, which includes the specific phrase, "No Value."

Items, Races, and Classes, and similar cards remain in play. Items which say "usable once only" on them (also referred to one-shot Items) have to be discarded once they are used. One-shot Items can be put in to play without using them at that moment, but once they are used for whatever effect they have, they must be discarded once the effect is resolved. In the core set of Munchkin, there are two Treasures, however, that give bonuses like Items, but aren't Items. Really Impressive Title and Hireling also remain in play (the rules cover this in a section entitled, "Other Treasures"), but they are not Items, so they can't be affected by things that would take away an Item.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote