Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Questions

Seconded. Though I wouldn't make someone pay for Selective Effect (4) and Lesser Sense Body (2). That's redundant; do one or the other. (Note that while using LSB seems like the better deal, it also may be adding another Path to the spell, which makes it potentially harder to cast.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
Zarmonic

So it's like "yeah you can target the victem's eye for another 258 points. Maybe you're better off with external damage or inducing blindness instead. ".

That actually works for me. Thanks!
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
So it's like "yeah you can target the victem's eye for another 258 points. Maybe you're better off with external damage or inducing blindness instead. ".

That actually works for me. Thanks!
Tacking on Blindness for +10 base energy and quadrupling damage (to account for a brain hit) is likely going to be significantly cheaper, yeah. You may need to tack on a Destroy Body effect, but that's up the GM - Fireball To The Face! can probably get away with just Greater Create Energy, for example.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
nick_coffin

So you guys know I wrote a web app for calculating the cost of RPM rituals.

I'm currently adding some automated tests on the app, and how I verify that the app is working correctly is to directly copy a ritual from Chapter 4 "The Grimoire" from GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic and compare the output of my app against the actual text from that book.

In doing so, I'm finding some differences! In some cases these are actually typos in the text; others may be a difference between my algorithms and how the author calculated the ritual.

I'm going to add some posts on specific questions about the cost calculations below to get everyone's feedback.

Does SJG want a list of the things that look like typos?

Last edited by nick_coffin; 04-02-2016 at 01:15 PM.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
nick_coffin

Here's the first one I have a question on:

Quote:
Ghost Shirt
Typical Casting: ... Altered Trait, Damage Resistance 6 (Force Field, +20%; Limited, Physical attacks, -20%) (30) ....
The app returns a cost of 31, not 30. DR6 costs 30 points; there are a total of +0% in enhancements (+20 and -20).

The app uses this rule from GT: RPM p. 17:

Quote:
"The net value cannot go below +0% and there is always a minimum +1 energy for adding any enhancements."
So the app calculates the additional cost for the enhancements - 0 points - and based on this rule adds 1.

Which is correct?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #16
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
Which is correct?
PK can obviously give a better answer than me, but that quote specifically applies to adding enhancements to damage, not Altered Traits, which states:

Quote:
Any spell that adds or worsens disadvantages, reduces or removes advantages, or lowers attributes or characteristics adds +1 energy for every 5 character points removed. One that adds or improves advantages, reduces or removes disadvantages, or increases attributes or characteristics adds +1 energy for every 1 character point added.
Here, you just sort out the cost of the trait you are adding, and if it is positive, it costs 1 energy per CP, if it's negative, it costs 1 energy per -5 CP, minimum 1.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #17
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
PK can obviously give a better answer than me, but that quote specifically applies to adding enhancements to damage, not Altered Traits, which states:

Here, you just sort out the cost of the trait you are adding, and if it is positive, it costs 1 energy per CP, if it's negative, it costs 1 energy per -5 CP, minimum 1.
I read that as the base cost of an Altered Trait - and there are few examples of Altered Traits with enhancements. But the costs would work out if the intention is to figure the cost of the Altered Trait, adjust for enhancements, and then take +1 per 1 CP (if positive) or +1 per -5 CP (if negative).

PK, any comments on this?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
Here's the first one I have a question on:

The app returns a cost of 31, not 30. DR6 costs 30 points; there are a total of +0% in enhancements (+20 and -20).

The app uses this rule from GT: RPM p. 17:

So the app calculates the additional cost for the enhancements - 0 points - and based on this rule adds 1.

Which is correct?
The spell is correct. The app is incorrect. The enhancement is being added to the advantage and then the advantage is being added via Altered Traits. In just about every case enhancements can only be added when adding Damage.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #19
Zarmonic

Resistance with HT vs Will:

The book just broadly states that "every potential subject who is not a willing participant resists with a Quick Contest using the better of his HT or Will"

Does this really make sense considering most spells are either mental or physical in their effects? I just had a player take considerable issue with this and, when it comes right down to it, I kind of agree with him. Is there anything I'm missing if I rule that mental spells are resisted by Will and physical spells are resisted by HT?

Quick and Dirty

I think the whole idea of a process like Quick and Dirty Charms is a very good one. I'm thinking of using it not just for charms but any "big" spell that would mean a lot of die rolls to accumulate energy.

The real problem that I have with it is that it's hard to teach players. That's because it's so counter intuitive. For the first roll, the pluses are essentially negatives...ok...but then for the 2nd roll it's reversed.

I understand that it's a method to simulate odds but I don't really get why something more simple and game friendly couldn't be thought up. Any explanation or thoughts are welcome!
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:38 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

You could, but you'd need to classify every spell you plan on using as either mental or physical and that's just a PITA. You could add +10% to final energy to choose a specific effect using my rules for Repurcussive Rituals - but you must be careful with that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm