Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Statues and monuments as sources of Sanctity for clerics

With all the statues and monuments in the news, it go me thinking about statues and monuments in a Dungeon Fantasy game. Statues in dungeons seem to be found in temple areas or also in areas of high magic. So I was thinking that maybe the temples cultists make the statues to raise sanctity to their demon lord. If so then maybe as the statues get toppled or destroyed. So how would you do something like this to make it so that I’ll order to rid the temple of sanctity you need to destroy the statues, monuments, altars and other holy items instead of the regular cleansing ritual (although the destroyed temple artifacts might also need to be cleansed after destroying them)
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
tbone

Default Re: Statues and monuments as sources of Sanctity for clerics

It's a perfectly good idea for a dungeon game. The statues essentially become "checkpoint" goals found in many adventures or video games, but presumably they could be found and attacked in any order, for non-linear, exploration-based play.

I'd also suggest making each statue encounter unique: each in a different sort of location, guarded by different defenders or traps. Statue ideas:
  • Small statue that's easily destroyed but very well guarded
  • Cleverly hidden statue
  • Obvious but very inaccessible statue
  • Massive statue (need to call in those rules for shifting/moving things, and Forced Entry skill)
  • Super massive statue (need some other clever idea for destroying it, or use time-consuming cleansing)
  • Statue carried about by defenders
  • Statue running around on its own

And so on. Also: Make good use of that idea of the statues powering a demon lord. That is, make the demon lord an unbeatable boss - but each statue destroyed weakens his powers. The more statues the PCs can destroy, the better their chance of defeating him. But the boss won't be idly doing nothing while the PCs go about this business . . .

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Rasputin

I'd argue that statues would be like any other GM Special in an OSR game, which means, yeah, they can be sources of Sanctity, whether Good or Evil, though traditionally this role goes to altars. I wouldn't have this be the only role for either statues or altars, of course, as that's just too predictable.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Statue ideas:
  • Small statue that's easily destroyed but very well guarded
  • Cleverly hidden statue
  • Obvious but very inaccessible statue
  • Massive statue (need to call in those rules for shifting/moving things, and Forced Entry skill)
  • Super massive statue (need some other clever idea for destroying it, or use time-consuming cleansing)
  • Statue carried about by defenders
  • Statue running around on its own

Love this list. I want to make a destroy-the-statues adventure now. Some other ideas:
  • Protected by a magical force field or elemental effect (e.g., a shroud of flames)
  • Made of something unusual (like smoke or water)
  • Hidden inside something very valuable.
  • Illusionary statue (to make them think they've gotten them all, but not!)
  • Statues that teleports around, making it very hard to get close to. (Perhaps there is a puzzle to be solved here.)
  • Statue that is also a pillar holding up the ceiling or important balcony or whatever.
  • Hollow statue filled with something nasty (e.g., mold, ooze, jelly, spore cloud, swarm of something, poisonous gas, etc.)
  • Regenerating statue
Ahh... this could be a lot of fun.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Dammann

• A statue made of sodium, surrounded by a curtain of flowing water which must be removed from its plinth
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
Black Leviathan

The statues that would have an instant impact on sanctity would be oppressively huge and very prominent. Like the constant reminders of the God's might in the eyeline of everyone in town. Seeing them pulled down would have an immediate impact on Sanctity. A demonic statue in an abandoned underground temple is just decor. The Sanctity there comes from the saturation of centuries of making connection with with a god that permanently affected that place.

In the grand scheme of things pulling down a 20-foot tall demon statue on the alter of an evil temple that hasn't been used in 200 years would have the same impact on sanctity as tipping over the grave marker of the priest who led worship there all that time ago.

Speaking of statues and graves. Graveyards would probably have a lot of sanctity hat could be affected. People invest a lot of faith there. It's despicable but destroying or defacing a graveyard would have a serious impact on the sanctity of an area.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
A demonic statue in an abandoned underground temple is just decor. The Sanctity there comes from the saturation of centuries of making connection with with a god that permanently affected that place.
The great thing about demonic statues in lost temples is that you can do whatever you want with them. I don't think most players would have suspension-of-disbelief issues if a particular demonic statue turns out to be a conduit of unholy sanctity. There's plenty of genre examples of that sort of thing.

Quote:
Graveyards would probably have a lot of sanctity that could be affected. People invest a lot of faith there. It's despicable but destroying or defacing a graveyard would have a serious impact on the sanctity of an area.
That's an interesting idea. Yet another reason people might despise ghouls and necromancers.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
b-dog

I guess I am thinking of the statues and monuments in the temple are sort of like an antena that picks up unholy sanctity and them concentrates the evil energy in the temple. In this way the evil cleric could be near the surface raising Hell on the world with his demon lord providing power. The PCs job would be to smash the statues, monuments and other altars to weaken the temple and evil power so that the demon lord and his dark cult can be defeated. Maybe some statues provide unholy sanctity while other bind magical energy into the temple to give elemental powers to the cultists. When the power source from the statues is removed then the PCs would have a fighting chance. Otherwise a direct assault on the evil cleric with the temple at full power would be a TPK.

Another thing with the destroying statues idea is that the evil temple could be close to the surface right where it is suitable to attack the forces of good. The PCs might have to start at the deep parts of the dungeon and remove all of the evil there first in order to weaken the temple so that it can be defeated. I always wondered why it made any sense that the really bad guys would be at the deepest darkest part of the dungeon because they are sort of too far away to conduct raids on the surface world and do other evil stuff. I would think it makes more sense that the evil guys are right by the surface to conduct raids and capture sacrifices for the evil temple. The PCs might have to sneak into a forgotten part of the temple and steadily cleanse the area of evil first so that the evil cleric is weak enough to be defeated.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
Anders

The statues could also be load-bearing pillars, for the "whole temple collapses when the altar is destroyed" effect.