Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
Ailric

Default Serenity/ Firefly RPG

Has anyone played or looked at the Serenity Roleplaying game by Margaret Weis Productions? I picked it up a few months ago, it looks pretty good (rules wise), but lacks a lot of detail. I like the plot points rule.

Just curious if anyone's given it a whirl. A lot of GURPsiness to it (which I like).
Old 04-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Serenity/ Firefly RPG

Just don't let Sean "Serenity made me hurl" Punch review it... :)
Old 04-26-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
RelFexive

I've got it, and I'm running it. It's not a perfect system, and many things are lacking (including good website support, soon to be fixed as I understand it), but it does run quite smoothly, and everybody seems to be having fun.

I'd recommend it to all RPers who like Firefly/Serenity for definite.

"My God - you're like a trained ape. Without the training."

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."
RelFexive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask

Just don't let Sean "Serenity made me hurl" Punch review it... :)
Lots of bad movies make great game settings. Lots of fun game settings would be crap for the movies. I'm one of those odd ducks who feels that games, movies, and novels differ so much that if a good setting for one is good for another, it's a total fluke. For instance, while it's nigh unto heretical to say so, I feel that LotR is probably the worst game setting ever. To be honest, it was a somewhat dry and over-long story for a novel (even though I must've read it three times). It made a pretty cool movie, though.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
MIB 1473

Serenity is an okay game, but not good at emulating the source material. Worse, it's a crappy sourcebook for the setting. Very disappointing.
MIB 1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
RelFexive

From my experience that's the minority opinion. Most folks I know who've got it have said the opposite.

"My God - you're like a trained ape. Without the training."

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."
RelFexive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Running Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Lots of bad movies make great game settings. Lots of fun game settings would be crap for the movies. I'm one of those odd ducks who feels that games, movies, and novels differ so much that if a good setting for one is good for another, it's a total fluke. For instance, while it's nigh unto heretical to say so, I feel that LotR is probably the worst game setting ever. To be honest, it was a somewhat dry and over-long story for a novel (even though I must've read it three times). It made a pretty cool movie, though.

Oh man... OK someone else admits that about Tolkien! Three pages to describe how the smoke curled out of someone's pipe!

On of the problems I have when trying to convert a movie/book/tv show to an RPG setting is how much I can actually capture the essence of the source but still have a good idea on the plot lines of adventures.

For me it's a matter of Frankenstiening stuff from various sources.... Firefly would be a good setting to use a lot of the Traveller resources but would come out as a hybrid between the two... I'd keep out the Traveller aliens and basically have the rough and tumble "Space Western".
Running Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelFexive
From my experience that's the minority opinion. Most folks I know who've got it have said the opposite.
Yep, I bought it as a source for a GURPS traders type campaign I'm running and I don't have any complaints.
Then again, I really don't do much beyond really glancing at the books, I just like having them around to weigh down my shelves...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Ailric

Quote:
Lots of bad movies make great game settings. Lots of fun game settings would be crap for the movies. I.
Few video games (I can think of at the moment) ever make good movies. Is it the writer's/directors and the fanboys they want to please, Hollywood's desire for a quick cash crab, or the poor storyline of the games themselves that lead to this.

Quote:
To be honest, it was a somewhat dry and over-long story for a novel (even though I must've read it three times). It made a pretty cool movie, though.
In trying to emulate Middle Earth as a place for epic saga, I agree. The movies I loved, the novels: love them, but I agree that Tolkien could have used an editor. They are different mediums and what works for one doesn't always work for another. Similarly, I'm having a hard enough time adding an epic feel to my D20 Star Wars (which I wish I was using GURPS).

-My opinion is just that, It's flexible based upon new information.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
For instance, while it's nigh unto heretical to say so, I feel that LotR is probably the worst game setting ever.
Actually, that opinion was a fairly popular one in the town I grew up in. LotR was held to have too much detail and history to allow playing before the Ring War. During the war seemed even worse - you know how it's going to turn out, and what the major events are. Playing after the war, in the Fourth Age (as ICE recommended in MERP) was the best option, but at that point all you've got is a generic fantasy with a lot of history and peotry written for it.

IME Middle Earth is actually a good setting, but I'd choose the First Age and run it as mythic superheroics, or do what Mr Stoddard did and change the 'ending'.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote