Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #361
Prince Charon

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Lois is also usually depicted with reasonable skills in longarms and pistols.
Depending on how much it being taken for this version from Silver Age Lois, she should also have at least Style Familiarities with various Kryptonian martial arts. She recognized Faora Hu-Ul from Faora's unique martial arts style, for example, and seems to have trained for some amount of time with the Klurkor Masters of Kandor! (Unfortunately, I haven't made progress on the Kryptonian Martial Arts thread in a few years, both due to distraction, and due to not a lot of people commenting - though I did get some help, at least.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #362
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Depending on how much it being taken for this version from Silver Age Lois, she should also have at least Style Familiarities with various Kryptonian martial arts. She recognized Faora Hu-Ul from Faora's unique martial arts style, for example, and seems to have trained for some amount of time with the Klurkor Masters of Kandor! (Unfortunately, I haven't made progress on the Kryptonian Martial Arts thread in a few years, both due to distraction, and due to not a lot of people commenting - though I did get some help, at least.)
Yeah, I used the version of Klurkor from your thread for Power Girl.

As for Lois knowing Kryptonian martial arts, I've decided for now to leave out the shrunken city of Kandor and all the silliness that brings into things. I might change my mind later, because there is some cool stuff in there (like the original Nightwing). I'll probably make up my mind when I design Brianiac.

So, in my continuity, the only people who have direct knowledge of Krypton and it's culture are Superman (from the media his parents sent on his ship), Power Girl and Super Girl (from their childhoods there), Brainiac, and the criminals who were in the phantom zone (General Zod and his henchfolk.)

For the record, my favorite version of Superman is from Superman the Animated Series in the 1990s (and from Justice League and Justice Leage Unlimited). So that will be a lot of my inspiration for these characters. I haven't read much in the way of superman comics (but I have read all the Crisis crossovers, a fair amount of JLA, and a lot of the great Elseworld's books (Kingdom Come and Red Sun stand out to me).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #363
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Seems aesir23 is going for more of the Post-Crisis Bronze-to-Modern Age continuity than Silver Age (see: stuff in Power Girl's entry about the timeline changes). To that end, a lot of the crazier Silver Age stuff seems to be going by the wayside. At one point Post-Crisis, Kandor didn't exist, Argo City didn't survive the explosion of Krypton, and none of those who had been banished to the Phantom Zone in the Silver Age had been otherwise banished, except for Lar Gand/Mon-El/Valor, a banishment which happened after the Dominator-led Invasion by Superman, not by teenage Clark/Superboy.

In fact, the teenage Superboy running around with the Legion had been shown immediately Post-Crisis to have been from a pocket dimension created by the Time-Trapper for when the Legion visited 20th Century Kansas, since Superman in that time had not been a Superboy.

Aesir: are you going to cover John Henry Irons/Steel, Connor Kent/Kon-El/Superboy, and Doomsday? If so, is Superboy running around with Young Justice or the Titans at this point in time?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:55 PM   #364
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Aesir: are you going to cover John Henry Irons/Steel, Connor Kent/Kon-El/Superboy, and Doomsday? If so, is Superboy running around with Young Justice or the Titans at this point in time?
I do have specific plans to include Connor Kent. I'm not sure yet about the other two.

As for Young Justice Vs. Titans...I haven't made up my mind. I may merge those two groups into one, for simplicites sake. Or not.

I like the Young Justice Cartoon quiet a lot, so it would be fun to rewatch it for research. But Teen Titans is more historically important to the DCU as a whole, so...

Like I said, I haven't made up my mind. I'll probably do the rest of the Justice League first, and then decide where all their teen side-kicks belong.

If you have strong opinions, I'd love to hear them.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #365
Phantasm

By my math, there have been over 100 folks that can call themselves Titans or Honorary Titans (including New52 oddballs like Danny the Street). More if you count the Pre- and Post-Flashpoint versions of characters like Cassie Sandsmark/Wonder Girl and Bart Allen/Kid Flash - both of whom have wildly different origins Pre- and Post-Flashpoint - as the same or separate characters. (Same with Betty Kane/Bat-Girl and Bette Kane/Flamebird being the same or different.)

Gimme a time frame to work with, and I'll get you bios and descriptive power sets of the active team(s) of the time. (For ref, while Tim, Conner, Bart, Cassie, Cissie, and Greta were in Young Justice, the Titans were Nightwing, Flash, Tempest, Troia, Arsenal, Cyborg, Jesse Quick, Damage, Starfire, and Argent, with Arsenal's daughter, Tempest's wife and son, and Rose Wilson living with them - Rose was their live-in babysitter. And Beast Boy and Flamebird were trying to get Titans L.A. flying, rather unsuccessfully...)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #366
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

You know, I probably will change some of her disadvantages to quirks, I was having trouble coming up with quirks for her that didn't just focus on her boob window.
Her anger is a real issue though. I mean, she removed a lady's arm with her heat vision in a non-combat situation. That's not a quitk.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #367
aesir23

Quote:
(For ref, while Tim, Conner, Bart, Cassie, Cissie, and Greta were in Young Justice, the Titans were Nightwing, Flash, Tempest, Troia, Arsenal, Cyborg, Jesse Quick, Damage, Starfire, and Argent
That sounds perfect, actually. I already have character sheets for Tim and Nightwing, and Wally, Barry, Conner, and Arsenal were already on my "definitely include" list. So that seems like a perfect line up.

My one remaining question is about how the Titans related to the JLA at that time. Were Cyborg and Flash on both teams at any point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Her anger is a real issue though. I mean, she removed a lady's arm with her heat vision in a non-combat situation. That's not a quirk.
Yeah, good point. I'll probably make her impulsiveness a quirk, then, and keep the Bad Temper with the reduced frequency on the Disadvantage list.

Any other ideas of quirks she might have?

For that matter, does anyone have any ideas for quirks Superman has?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #368
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
That sounds perfect, actually. I already have character sheets for Tim and Nightwing, and Wally, Barry, Conner, and Arsenal were already on my "definitely include" list. So that seems like a perfect line up.

My one remaining question is about how the Titans related to the JLA at that time. Were Cyborg and Flash on both teams at any point?
At that point, Wally/Flash was on both the JLA and the Titans. As he gave in an interview, "it's never been about who the Titans need, it's about who needs the Titans," which he said in response to a question about "do the Titans need two speedsters?"

Cyborg didn't join the JLA until the Post-Flashpoint New52, so has never been on both teams at once.

Titans who "graduated" to the JLA: Dick when he assumed the role of Batman, Wally during the time Barry was dead, Donna during her own time as Wonder Woman, and Roy when he went by Red Arrow and was dating Kendra/Hawkgirl. Cyborg was not a "graduate" due to universe reset shenanigans; and Ray Palmer/Atom when he was regressed to a teenage went the other way, joining the Teen Titans for a time.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #369
aesir23

Quote:
At that point, Wally/Flash was on both the JLA and the Titans. As he gave in an interview, "it's never been about who the Titans need, it's about who needs the Titans," which he said in response to a question about "do the Titans need two speedsters?"

Cyborg didn't join the JLA until the Post-Flashpoint New52, so has never been on both teams at once.

Titans who "graduated" to the JLA: Dick when he assumed the role of Batman, Wally during the time Barry was dead, Donna during her own time as Wonder Woman, and Roy when he went by Red Arrow and was dating Kendra/Hawkgirl. Cyborg was not a "graduate" due to universe reset shenanigans; and Ray Palmer/Atom when he was regressed to a teenage went the other way, joining the Teen Titans for a time.
Great, thanks!
Old 02-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #370
Phantasm

Oh, I almost forgot: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner also "graduated" from the Titans to the JLA, being a Titan at the start of his career.

And I guess you could say that both Damage and Jesse Quick "graduated" to the JSA, though maybe in Damage's case it was more of a lateral move.

Tags
batman, dc comics, phantasm, superman, supers, vonkatzen