Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
starslayer

Default Re: Dead Space Necromorphs

Necromorphs regenerate too; quickly.

And I believe they could even regrow severed limbs if you gave them enough time.

They also seemed to be effectively homogeneous.

So your 'zombie' becomes a predominantly melee homogeneous regenerator with vacuum support, does not need to eat, breathe, sleep, immunity to metabolic hazards, increased strength, monstrous appearance, and some strikers.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Psychotime

No, only two particular bosses are able to regenerate and regrow.

The Hunter and the Ubermorph.

Adelus is right on the ball and has put more thought in it than I have. Everyone listen to them.

Last edited by Psychotime; 10-14-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Mathulhu

Use blow through and bleeding rules, attacks are limited to doing the targets damage before wounding modifiers.

Add Homogeneous, No Blood, No Vitals, and No Brain and those wounding modifiers will be small, significantly reducing the chance of doing meaningful damage.
With a high HT you have to rely on taking the target to -5xHP to kill it with torso shots.

Suddenly pruning the limbs off and stopping it from fighting seems like a really good idea.
Mathulhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
Psychotime

I'm not 100% sure if they're immune to impaling attacks much.

Anyone remember the Javelin Gun? Love that thing.

Maybe it's the subsequent burning attack...and the fact that we're talking Ultra Tech weapons...

Last edited by Psychotime; 10-14-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Adelus

Given their build, it seems three things are generally necessary to stop a Necromorph:
  1. Dismemberment
  2. Wide-Area Damage
  3. Destroying the torso*.

*Does not apply to some like the Divider.

Slicing the limbs off to make it useless to the hivemind works. So does setting it on fire, setting off explosives near it, and applying electric shocks. If it has limbs and a base for them, its a threat and an asset to the hivemind. Destroying the base or removing the limbs makes it a liability.

For a good solution, try following Mathulhu's guidelines while also including some kind of disadvantage that causes it to immediately drop dead if it loses all mobility OR combat limbs. Trying to carve through it with Homogenous granting lower wounding modifiers, lacking vitals, blood, or a brain, and extreme health is going to be severely discouraged compared to just damaging the limbs and slicing them off. Best damage types will be Cutting, Burning and Corrosion, in roughly that order. Explosives are also useful for their raw damage output and the damage fragmentation can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
Maybe it's the subsequent burning attack...and the fact that we're talking Ultra Tech weapons...
Not ultra-tech weapons, per-say. Ultra-Tech industrial and mining tools. Unless you modify the assault rifle until it is practically a cutting laser, conventional weapons do almost nothing to phase Necromorphs unless used in great quantity. Isaac survived so well because he was using tools normally intended for slicing through bulkheads, applying remote electric shocks, defoliant work, and cracking open asteroid rock - all very useful against an homogenous foe who eats bullets for breakfast.

Considering the OP is planning on this for a fantasy campaign, I think he might need to tone his variant down considerably, because I'm not sure anything short of very heavy use of combat magic is going to give you the tools to survive against these things. And if you are close enough for melee range to hack at them, you're close enough to get a two meter long, steel-penetrating bone skewer through your ribcage.

Last edited by Adelus; 10-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Novembermike

I'd probably just make them standard zombies + strikers + unkillable 1. If you remove enough limbs they are no longer dangerous, but I think having them actually die was more a factor of it being a game. Unless you want to mimic the more gamey bits, this is probably enough.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
Psychotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
Not ultra-tech weapons, per-say. Ultra-Tech industrial and mining tools. Unless you modify the assault rifle until it is practically a cutting laser, conventional weapons do almost nothing to phase Necromorphs unless used in great quantity. Isaac survived so well because he was using tools normally intended for slicing through bulkheads, applying remote electric shocks, defoliant work, and cracking open asteroid rock - all very useful against an homogenous foe who eats bullets for breakfast.
Oh, right. And that's the reason he survived and everyone else and their conventional weapons died.

I think if the OP really wants to challenge his players (and by challenge I mean slaughter them) I guess necromorphs are their best bet.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Refplace

Whats wrong with Supernatural Durability?
As for taking them out with magic well electric imbuements might work. Also unless they have a vulnerability to lightning I would go with non damaging spells.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Give 'em Injury Tolerence (No Brain, No Vitals, Unliving), High Pain Tolerence, and Unkillable 1 or 2. Hacking off limbs is suddenly the only way to really inconvenience them.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #20
GreatWyrmGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Whats wrong with Supernatural Durability?
As for taking them out with magic well electric imbuements might work. Also unless they have a vulnerability to lightning I would go with non damaging spells.
I'm not horribly worried about magic. Although both players are mages, one is a pyro/healing mage (don't ask, I don't know) who has gnomish grenades, the other also mainly has fire attack spells and should know about the first's grenades, and is played by a level-headed player.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 10-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.
GreatWyrmGold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead space, racial template, request