Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Heisenberg

Default Question on a turn

Hello,

I just picked up Munchkin this weekend and fell in love. My friends and I have have played a few games this weekend and are wondering on if a few moves were okay following a heated debate last night. We have the original Munchkin, Star Munchkin, and the need for steeds.

So some context.

Player A is lvl 9 and has the next turn.

Player B is a lvl 9 and a Elf

Player C is lvl 7 with a combat score of 23

Player C Draws Crabs. Player C then plays Monster enhancers on the Crabs raising Crabs to a lvl 23.

Player C then curses himself so he can remove his armor.

Player C then asks Player B for help. Combined they have a combat score of 55.

Player A then plays Curse lose 2 levels on Player B. Player B counters with the wishing ring.

Player A plays the Fishing ring stating he is removing the lose armor curse on Player C, and goes through the discards as allowed by the fishing ring and replays lose 2 levels on Player B.

Which Brings us to the question.

1. Can Player C stack monster enhancers, and curse himself to force himself into a position of asking for help?

2. Can Player A use the Fishing Ring on Player C's curse after he played Lose 2 levels or had the Armor curse already been resolved?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Question on a turn

You definitely CAN curse yourself, and can do so to deliberately put yourself in a position to ask for help, or even to just make yourself lose the combat, if for some reason you wanted to do so.

I'm kind of curious as to why somebody would do so just to hand the game to another player, though. Doesn't sound terribly sportsmanlike, even though it IS legal.

As to the other question, I don't have cards in front of me, so I can't answer that with confidence, not knowing the exact wording on Fishing Ring. (Not asking you to post it, though, as that's a no-no.)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Heisenberg

ohh. Here is the gap filler. Player B & C are married and Player A has won the last 3 games.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

1. It's quite munchkinly to curse yourself, so this is a valid play.

2. Too many other actions have taken place to successfully counter the curse that removes the armor. The Fishing Ring can remove a just played curse or cancel the effects of a lingering curse, but not a curse that has been resolved and had other cards played afterwards. It could certainly retrieve the 'lose two levels' curse, however.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Player C Draws Crabs. Player C then plays Monster enhancers on the Crabs raising Crabs to a lvl 23.
Just a note on terminology here... He raised the monster to a combat strength of 23. Monster Enhancers do not change the Level of the monster.

Incidentally, there was no reason for Player C to curse himself either. Unless he was a Warrior, he was already losing the combat (monsters win ties) and was eligible to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
It could certainly retrieve the 'lose two levels' curse, however.
Hmm, do you mind if I question this one? Fishing Ring appears to be worded in a way that you can only play it to cancel a Curse. It uses a "not only does it X, but also Y", format, which implies X must happen in order for Y to be a possibility. If my understanding is correct, you can't just play it for its secondary effect.

In that case, A would need to play a different Curse, or cancel an existing ongoing or reminder Curse to be able to use Fishing Ring to retrieve the level loss Curse.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Looking it over, I'd say Fishing Ring is basically a Wishing Ring with a secondary ability that doesn't require it to be used to cancel a Curse to be used for the secondary ability. In other words, I don't see the wording as so strict as to say it can only be used to cancel a Curse then do the Curse "looting" part. Of course, this is one of those cases where Andrew really has the final say, since he wrote the thing.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote