Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [DF] Sample Encounters

Nymdoc, you seem to have some players who like Mystic knights. How are they doing? Too strong? Too weak?

My experience is that the template is perhaps a little too focused/well optimized, meaning that if the other players don't go for optimal builds, the mystic knight might be a little stronger than the others.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Nymdoc, you seem to have some players who like Mystic knights. How are they doing? Too strong? Too weak?

My experience is that the template is perhaps a little too focused/well optimized, meaning that if the other players don't go for optimal builds, the mystic knight might be a little stronger than the others.
These are brand new PCs and we havent had a chance to test them much, so I cant give you a full report just yet. So far, the Fatigue codt of the imbuements is keeping them in check as are the other costs. currently they are runnign with severe imbument limitations to make them more affordable (4x per day etc). If anyhitng wierd shows up though Ill let you know. We have a few more encounters to go :)

Nymdok
p.s. I dissalowed the statues for Vampiric Weapon, citing that they were animated, not living and have warned them that vampiric weapon attacks on undead will have the opposite effect (they will loose HP and the undead will be healed).
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
These are brand new PCs and we havent had a chance to test them much, so I cant give you a full report just yet. So far, the Fatigue codt of the imbuements is keeping them in check as are the other costs. currently they are runnign with severe imbument limitations to make them more affordable (4x per day etc). If anyhitng wierd shows up though Ill let you know. We have a few more encounters to go :)

Nymdok
p.s. I dissalowed the statues for Vampiric Weapon, citing that they were animated, not living and have warned them that vampiric weapon attacks on undead will have the opposite effect (they will loose HP and the undead will be healed).
True, true. You're running DF-lite, at 185/-35. At 250, Mystic Knights have enough points to buy full imbuement and eldritch talent 4, and the powerup, allowing them to talent up to 6 is probably the first purchase they make.

Can you keep me informed? Also, in my games, MKs tend to go defensive, meaning that they take the armor and shield imbuement skills and become virtual tanks. I'm interested in the choice of imbuement skills your players took. Still, the Scout/Mystic knight is a Gatling gun, and has only taken offensive imbuement skills...
My stuff on e23
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
thalassogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMcArtor View Post
Coolness. Have you converted any other monsters from Pathfinders?
Yes. Pathfinder #1 and #2: almost all monsters.
Work on Pathfinder #3 is about to begin.
thalassogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
DAT

When I’m first GMing a new group of players (or at least new to GURPS) I set up a few testing scenarios leading up to the main adventure to get a feel of their tactics and play styles. I’ll write up an example.

The party consists of six:
1. Barbarian (Human) – A dual axe wielder & long bow
Speed 6, Dodge 10, Parry 12, DR 2, HP 22
Axes (16) 2x 3d+1 cut
Bow (14) 1d+4 imp
2. Cleric (Human) – A buffer/healer and anti-undead, mace and shield
Speed 6, Dodge 9, Block 12, Parry 13, DR 3, HP 12
Mace (14) 1d+5 cru
Crossbow (14) 1d+2 imp
3. Knight (Dwarf) – Armored Can, pick-ax and shield
Speed 6, Dodge 6, Block 14, Parry 16, DR 4, HP 14
Pick-ax (24) 2d+1 imp/2d+2 cut
Crossbow (16) 1d+4 imp
4. Scout (Wood Elf) – A ranger with composite bow, long knifes, and a spear
Speed 7, Dodge 12, Parry 12/14, DR 1, HP 12
Bow (24) 1d+4 imp
Long Knifes (16) 1d imp/ 2d-1 cut
Spear (16) 1d+2 imp
5. Thief (Halfling) – B&E expert, dual long knifes and a crossbow pistol
Speed 6, Dodge 11, Parry 12, DR 1, HP 10
Long Knifes(16) 1d-1 imp / 1d cut
Crossbow (16) 1d+1 imp
6 Wizard (Human) – Fire mage with a staff
Speed 6, Dodge 9, Parry 12, DR 1, HP 10
Flame Jet (15) 1 to 3d burn
Explosive Fireball (15) 1 to18d burn
Staff (14) 1d cr / 1d+2 cr

First Test Encounter:
For this first encounter, I selected an inferior foe with average tactics to test the party: a Goblin hunting party.

Goblin Hunters
Green skin, bald, with leather armor, spears and slings.
ST: 10 HP: 11 Speed:5.25
DX: 10 Will: 10 Move: 5
IQ: 9* Per:10*
HT: 11 FP: 11 SM:0
Dodge: 8 Parry: 9 DR: 1 (light leather)
* Leader(s) have IQ:10 and Per 12
Attack:
Spear (12*) 1d imp
Sling (12) 1d pi
* Leaders have (13)
Traits:
Infravision; Rapid Healing; Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3); Teeth (Sharp), Appearance (Ugly); Cowardice (12); and Social Stigma (Savage).
Skills:
Brawling (12)*, Camouflage (12), Fast-Talk (12), Gesture (10), Observation (12)*, Stealth (12).
* Leaders also have Brawling (13), Observation (13), and Tactics (10).
Class: Goblin-kin
Notes:
They will attack when they have numerical superiority and or surprise. They will negotiate if surprised and outnumbered, and will retreat if outnumbered. They have the taint of evil from killing and eating innocent travelers per the directions of the evil gods at the temple in the caves. Equipment is of poor quality. Roll 2d6 for copper on each hunter, leader has 4d6 copper plus ear-rings worth 1d silver.

Even the least melee combat effective party members (the Thief or Wizard) exceed the skills (attack, dodge, parry) of these goblin hunters. Based on previous experience, the party characters should be able to easily take on 2 – 3 times their number of these goblins. But since I don’t know what tactics they will try, I assume 1.5 times the party size in goblins initially (9 total, 1 leader and 8 normal hunters), and then have a reserve of another 6-9 able to show up in a few turns if the party starts decimating the goblins too quickly.

Scenario: The party is following a trail they believe will lead them to the delve site. The goblins are in concealment (-4 plus range to spot) in tall grass where the trail crosses a small stream. There is decent visability (for the goblins) a 50 by 100 yard meadow with wait high grass, on either side of a trail cutting across the narrow part of the meadow. They will be down wind from the party’s approach on the trail. The Goblin’s plan will be to wait until the party approaches within 40 yards or so and start aiming. When the lead element of the party is no closure than 15 yards or the last party member is within 30 yards, or if someone in the party obviously spots them, the Goblin leader will give the order to launch the sling stone attack. If that attack drops half the party, they will charge; otherwise they will reload and launch a second sling attack. If the second attack drops half the party, they will charge; otherwise they will try to retreat.

Second Encounter:
6 Goblin Worg-Riders on Worgs

Goblin Worg-Riders
Green skin, bald, with leather armor, swords and bows.
These are elite goblin warriors, and are not cowards.
They are actually a little crazy and reckless in battle.
ST: 12 HP: 12 Speed: 6
DX: 12 Will: 12 Move: 6
IQ: 10 Per:14
HT: 12 FP: 12 SM:0
Dodge: 10 Parry: 11 DR: 1 (light leather)
Attack:
Goblin Calvary Saber (14), 1d+3 cut/1d imp, Reach 1, Weight 3
Goblin Calvary Bow (14), 1d imp, Acc 2, Range 120/150, Weight 2/0.1, RoF 1(2), Bulk -7
Traits:
Combat Reflexes; Fearlessness +2; Infravision; Rapid Healing; Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3); Teeth (Sharp), Appearance (Ugly); On the Edge (12); and Social Stigma (Savage).
Skills:
Brawling (14), Broadsword (14), Camouflage (14), Fast-Talk (12), Gesture (10), Observation (14), Riding(Worg) (18), Stealth (14) and Tactics (10).
Class: Goblin-kin
Notes:
They will attack and will not negotiate unless surprised and outnumbered, and will retreat only if outnumbered 2 to 1. They will pursue a fleeing opponent. They have the taint of evil from killing and eating innocent travelers per the directions of the evil gods at the temple in the caves. Equipment is of normal quality. Roll 4d6 for copper, 1d6 for silver, and each will have ear-rings worth 2d silver.

Worgs
These are “battle” bred carnivores that are domesticated and
ridden by goblins.
ST: 20 HP: 20 Speed: 6
DX: 12 Will: 11 Move: 9
IQ: 4 Per:16
HT: 12 FP: 12 SM: SM +1 (3 hexes); 800 lbs.
Dodge: 9 DR: 1 (thick hide)
Attack:
Bite(14), 2d-1 cut
Slam(14), 2d-1 cr
Trample(14), 2d-1 cr (1d-2 cr)
Traits: Combat Reflexes; Discriminatory Smell; DR 1;
Night Vision 6; Quadruped; Sharp Teeth;
Temperature Tolerance 1; Wild Animal
Skills: Brawling (14); Mount (14), Tracking (14).
Class: Dire-Animal?
Notes:
They are loyal to their goblin riders, and will continue to attack if their rider is slain. Morale checks only after they are outnumbered and wounded. They will pursue a fleeing opponent. They have the taint of evil from killing innocent travelers for fun.

These goblins are more of a challenge than the hunters, but still not terribly effective if the party uses decent tactics. The slam/trample of the big Worgs is the big addition to challenge the party’s tactics.

Scenario: The party is still following a trail they believe will lead them to the delve site. The goblins are in concealment (-6 plus range to spot) in shrubs and tall grass on the edge of a 50 by 100 yard meadow with wait high grass, on either side of a trail cutting across the narrow part of the meadow. They will be down wind from the party’s approach on the trail. The Goblin’s plan will be to wait until the party approaches within 40 yards or so and start aiming. When the lead element of the party is no closure than 15 yards or the last party member is within 30 yards, or if someone in the party obviously spots them, the Goblins will launch an arrow attack. Four of the goblins will mount their Worgs (1 second, with riding roll -3) and charge; while the other two will reload and launch a second arrow attack before they charge. During a charge, Worgs will try to slam SM0+ opponents or trample SM-1 or smaller opponents, and goblins will swing at those who dodge (-1 to hit, +1 to dam).

Last edited by DAT; 03-20-2010 at 03:38 PM.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
The regular knight in DF1 is pretty much an optimized combat twink too.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
Nymdok

Quote:
True, true. You're running DF-lite, at 185/-35. At 250, Mystic Knights have enough points to buy full imbuement and eldritch talent 4, and the powerup, allowing them to talent up to 6 is probably the first purchase they make.

Can you keep me informed? Also, in my games, MKs tend to go defensive, meaning that they take the armor and shield imbuement skills and become virtual tanks. I'm interested in the choice of imbuement skills your players took. Still, the Scout/Mystic knight is a Gatling gun, and has only taken offensive imbuement skills...
Ill keep you posted! :)

Penetrating/Incendiary Combo
Returning/Traumatic Combo

Vampiric/Penetrating Combo
Returning/Multishot Combo

Are what they took right now.

They just got 20 points and we'll see what they do with it.
Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Ill keep you posted! :)

Penetrating/Incendiary Combo
Returning/Traumatic Combo

Vampiric/Penetrating Combo
Returning/Multishot Combo

Are what they took right now.

They just got 20 points and we'll see what they do with it.
Nymdok
Not only you're using Mystic Knights, but they're both using Returning weapon! How is it working? I must say that I though it was a hole that Imbuement Skills ought to fill. I hope you're finding it worthy.
My stuff on e23
Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The regular knight in DF1 is pretty much an optimized combat twink too.
Strangely, no player of mine has chosen to make a Knight or Holy Warrior (Personally, I really like both archetypes) so I have not seen, first hand, what sort mayhem they're capable of doing.
My stuff on e23
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Bruno

So I've found my notes! First off, it was Steel (hollow) and Lead, not Iron and Marble for the minnikins. Two of each. They're also bigger than I said, almost 3' tall. Shows what the passage of a couple of years will do to your memory.

The party was about 300 points-ish.

Catboy Thief, who's stats I have unfortunately lost. Striking ST around 14, armed with a long knife, acrobatic as heck but not really a combat character.

Human Cleric/Holy Warrior hybrid
Speed 6, Move 6, Dodge 9, Parry 13, Block 12, HP 13, DR 4/2* over most locations
Mace (16), 2d+2 cr

Human Knight
Speed 6, Move 6, Dodge 10, Parry 15, Block 15, HP 17, DR 4/2* over most locations, 3 on some. Has Luck.
Broadsword (17) - 3d+6 cut (swinging, weapon master)

Half Celestial Holy Warrior
Speed 7, Move 7, Dodge 11, Parry 13, DR 4/2* over most locations.
Katana (19): 2d+1 cut
Wakizashi (19): 2d cut

As previously mentioned, the fight started with the thief about 15 yards away from the rest of the party, crawling under the 3' roof, with an unexpected face full of metal minnikin. Two statuettes of each type, for a total of 4.

Name: Hollow Steel Animated Object
Keywords: Construct
ST: 6
DX: 12
IQ: 9
HT: 12
HP: 31
Per: 9
Will: 9
FP: --

DR: 9
Speed: 5
Move: 3
Dodge: 8
Parry: 9

SM: -2
Weight: 36 lbs

Punch 12: 1d6-1 cr (All Out Attack - Strong)

Traits: Automaton, Body of Steel (Plus DR), Unnatural

Name: Solid Lead Animated Object
Keywords: Construct
ST: 6
DX: 9
IQ: 9
HT: 12
HP: 40
Per: 9
Will: 9
FP: --

DR: 2
Speed: 5
Move: 3
Dodge: 8
Parry: 9

SM: -2
Weight: 140 lbs

Punch 12: 1d6-1 cr (All Out Attack - Strong)

Traits: Automaton, Body of Steel (minus DR), Unnatural
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, encounters