Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
Padre

Default Rumour is there's a new Superior PDF this month

Speculation time! Who's it going to be?

We're due for another Demon Prince/Princess, assuming they're sticking to the alternation.

Now, all the DPs have had some form of extended write-up at some time or another, so there's no immediately obvious candidate.

Could it be Saminga's turn? His last write up was all the way back in Night Music, so he's the (major) Prince who's gone the longest without revisiting....

And of course if The Powers That Be want to step in with the official answer that'll be just dandy too :)
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Rumour is there's a new Superior PDF this month

We're not sticking to the alteration. Both the Superiors currently in the hopper are minor Archangels. Sorry!

I'll have a Prince for everyone soon enough, I hope.

Mind, I'm always cool with listening to people bounce up and down about which ones they want, so long as they understand that enthusiasm and voting isn't the only factor in what gets done in what order. O:>
Old 01-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Padre

More Archangels? Hey, I'm cool with that :) As I said, it's the angels who have Superiors who've never had any expansion, so they probably need more attention.

I'm guesing we're going to see Litheroy, then. And, hmm, Christopher or Zadkiel? I'll guess Christopher.

As for the bouncing, well, I'm desperate for Jean myself. I have a lot of curiosity about his history, especially given that some of his attunements only make sense for angels operating in the last sixty years or so, if that. What did Elohites of Jean do before the microchip? Keeping regularly updated attunements (just ahead of the curve of human technology) seems very Jean-like to me.

Last edited by Padre; 01-18-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre
As for the bouncing, well, I'm desperate for Jean myself. I have a lot of curiosity about his history, especially given that some of his attunements only make sense for angels operating in the last sixty years or so, if that. What did Elohites of Jean do before the microchip? Keeping regularly updated attunements (just ahead of the curve of human technology) seems very Jean-like to me.
Actually, a good number of Jean's attunements make sense historically, if you look at the core functions and don't focus on the cosmetics. Some of them need some modifications, though. I've been playing with some notions for a while now....

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken
Actually, a good number of Jean's attunements make sense historically, if you look at the core functions and don't focus on the cosmetics. Some of them need some modifications, though. I've been playing with some notions for a while now....

---Walter
The Cherub, Ofanite and Elohite ones seem most in the need of change as you go back in history, IMO.

One can imagince the Elohites being able to do any patient and complex acts of creation, such as assembling things made from clockwork.

The Cherubs would just need a less conspicuous (but still technological) means of communication although this wouold get harder and harder to justiy in terms of colour as time goes back. Hmmm...

The Ofanite resonance woould still work even in the Stone age, but it'd be a lot less useful until some serious metalworkng starts getting going, and only really attains its current level of usefulness with the advent of widepread distribution of wired telecommunications and electricity. So perhaps in the past Jean gave out something similar that was less dependent of the presence of metallic objects criss-crossing the globe.

All the others in th core rules would seem to work just fine (although the Seraphic "video screen" might have caused more comment when used in the Elizabethan era than it would today).

The other thng about Jean's history is the evlution ofhis Word-concept from the primal forces of Lightning, mostly associated with actions of gods and the starting of fires for much of human-prehistory, into the echnological force of inspiration and illumination he is today.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
RadLilim

I'm sure I've said this before, but I bounce for Jean and Novalis!

That's not as dirty as it sounds, really.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
milliken

Quote:
One can imagince the Elohites being able to do any patient and complex acts of creation, such as assembling things made from clockwork.
That's one way to go, the other is to make them lightning calculators without external aids. Maybe not as useful, but not out of bounds for an attunement (I'm thinking of the comparison with Wind Elohim).

Quote:
The Cherubs would just need a less conspicuous (but still technological) means of communication although this wouold get harder and harder to justiy in terms of colour as time goes back. Hmmm...
I don't think it needs to be technological -- that's just how it manifests now. Possibly a variant of the Celestial Song of Tongues with no essence cost and no duration limit?

Quote:
The Ofanite resonance woould still work even in the Stone age, but it'd be a lot less useful until some serious metalworkng starts getting going, and only really attains its current level of usefulness with the advent of widepread distribution of wired telecommunications and electricity. So perhaps in the past Jean gave out something similar that was less dependent of the presence of metallic objects criss-crossing the globe.
My notion here is that maybe they could ride lighting up into thunderstorms, and stay in lightning form within the storm, dropping back down via another lightning bolt. That's fairly similar to what they do now with conductors, but the utility of storm-riding would be very low in modern times, once people started stringing metal rails and wires cross-country in the 1800s. The duration of the electrical form effect would be a lot longer than the current metallic conductor version, but movement speed and direction would be limited to what the storm did naturally. Still a lot faster than most pre-industrial transport, but not terribly flexible.

Quote:
The other thng about Jean's history is the evlution ofhis Word-concept from the primal forces of Lightning, mostly associated with actions of gods and the starting of fires for much of human-prehistory, into the echnological force of inspiration and illumination he is today.
My own view is that Jean's always had both aspects; after all, fire was one of Mankind's greatest discoveries in prehistory. (I admit part of this is that I have a wonderful Jean quote about just how many trees he had to burn down before the little monkeys finally got the idea of fire....)

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
alexondria

ooh if we get to bounce up and down about the ones that we want I want Jean and Zadekiel.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta