Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #31
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: RULE CHANGE: Undead monsters

snarky raises a valid point, but I think I'm going to explicitly write "You can play an Undead enhancer with another monster" into the rule (and then it doesn't bend the rules, it sets them).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #32
snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
snarky raises a valid point, but I think I'm going to explicitly write "You can play an Undead enhancer with another monster" into the rule (and then it doesn't bend the rules, it sets them).
With that clarification, I think it's both (1) cool, and (2) munchkinly - I just wouldn't want to see a general rule that you can play a monster and enhancer(s) all down in play at the same time.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
whassumattuh

I think this is a great rule change. I am curious if it had been considered that the rule change significantly raises the value of the Cleric class. I've found that my opponents are afraid to wander in Undead monsters because I can just discard cards to take care of them.
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #34
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
I think this is a great rule change. I am curious if it had been considered that the rule change significantly raises the value of the Cleric class. I've found that my opponents are afraid to wander in Undead monsters because I can just discard cards to take care of them.
The Cleric can only get up to +9 for the whole combat, and since there has to be an Undead Monster in the combat for this rule to work, I don't exactly see how this changes anything to make the Cleric more valuable. In fact, it's more likely to force the Cleric to hold on to cards before attempting to use the Turning ability, just in case other players intend to make things worse by throwing more Undead Monsters in, making the turning bonuses worthless.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
frofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
We are officially adding the following rule to ALL Munchkin games:

This change affects all sets except Super Munchkin, which has no Undead . . . but if we add some, it'll affect them, too. Zombies and Axe Cop already had this rule, but we clarified the wording just a tiny bit. And there were a couple of Undead monsters that already included this effect, but they're big and nasty as it is and we don't think this weakens them at all.

Clarification: We're not making this change to Munchkin Quest. Just the card games.

Comments? Questions? (Yes, we're updating the rulesheets and the errata pages. That should all be done inside of a week.)
It is always nice to be right ;-) I was way ahead of you guys. No fame for me?

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...dead+wandering

Last edited by RevBob; 11-23-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
frofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #36
aeronaut

As TPTB may have feared, this opens another can of worms. Specifically:

Player A is fighting some non-undead monster for the win. Player B plays "Undead +5" on that monster. Now players B-E add several more undead monsters, making it impossible for player A to win. So player A responds by playing "Annihilation" on the "undead +5 card". This certainly takes the +5 bonus away from the monsters. However, does it also make it illegal for the other players to play the undead monsters (without a wandering monster card)?

And suppose that just after the "Undead +5" card hits the table, several undead and the "Annihilation" card all hit the table about the same time?

My guess is that annihilating the +5 bonus would stop other players from playing more undead, but not affect any other monsters already in the combat. So if no undead has been played, no more could be played without WM, but if one undead is already in, then that undead would allow others to play more without WM cards to get them in.

Any official confirmation?

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #37
MunchkinMan

Since Annihilation only cancels a card after that card was just played, if additional Undead Monsters were played, then the Undead card couldn't be canceled, only removed. The only way to truly cancel Undead with Annihilation would to play Annihilation first things after Undead. Hence, any Monsters added would remain if Annihilation was played after the additional Monsters were added.
MiB #1029
Old 12-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #38
whassumattuh

We are in the Dungeon of Ubiquitous Undead. My friend fights an undead monster. Because of the dungeon we are in, may I discard a card from my hand while simultaneously playing a monster card to wander said monster into the combat?
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #39
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
We are in the Dungeon of Ubiquitous Undead. My friend fights an undead monster. Because of the dungeon we are in, may I discard a card from my hand while simultaneously playing a monster card to wander said monster into the combat?
I wish that all I could write was, "No," and have that be enough, but this forum software requires 11 characters, so I've had to write all these other words, too, to explain why I didn't just say, "No."
MiB #1029
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #40
azwii

wow, this is pretty cool.
azwii is offline   Reply With Quote